Forums > General > Changing tyres on an Audi Quattro

CHANGING TYRES ON AN AUDI QUATTRO
Previous | 123 | Next

Surely not!

Has anyone got any understanding of replacing the tyres on an Audi Quattro. I've looked on the internet and Audi forums but the info seems a bit vague and contradictory wherever you look.

Advice seems to be that you must either replace all 4 or at least 2 on the same axle to prevent the diff getting 'wound up'.....all a bit new to me!

The manual states..

On vehicles with 4 wheel drive, all 4 wheels must always be fitted with tyres of the same type, make and tread pattern, so that the drive system is not damaged as a result of constant differences in the wheel speeds.Then it states

The use of tyres with varying degrees of wear will not adversely affect the four wheel drive transmission.

Kinda confuses me does that as it seems that putting brand new Good Years on the back and brand new Conti's on the front is a no-no but having the same brand with 6mm on the rear and 2mm on the front is OK?

Updated December 21, 2010 at 11:49 PM

If you're buying 4 tyres what's the hardship in putting four of the same on?

I think it's a lot to do with balance as well and I'd rather not have different front to back if I can help it, not because the manufacturer says so but because I prefer it.

Nowadays different tread depth left to right and back to front can confuse stability control systems too.

I don't need 4.

I recently put 2 Eagle F1's on the rear at a not inconsiderable cost :? and my fronts are quite worn but legal, though now with an unrepairable puncture in one.:(

I have a spare tyre in the shed with a good 5-6mm tread, but it seems I can't really utilise it.

Seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

Not this again!

Basically, fit tyres that are the same size - preferably from the same manufacturer and with the same model - and don't worry about tread depth.

Tread depth - and this is an "unsettled" argument - does not change the circumference of a tyre when fitted to a car.

So basically you will be fine but you won't have a problem if you're changing all four. If you are fitting tyres with different height sidewalls/different diameters then you will have a problem.

--

That wasn't a crash, that was a total, catastrophic failure of his talent.

Basically, read what it says, tyres with differing tread depths will not have an adverse effect on the 4WD system. Problem solved.

--

Put 2 new Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front.

Audi recognise that different manufacturers have different interpretaions on sizing - a 225 width for one manufacturer may actually be 220mm, whereas another will measure 230mm+. Same for aspect ratios.

I'm not sure why you see this as unneccessarily complex?

Fair enough, and thanks for the explanation. I would have thought the dimensions ie 255 would have been exactly the same, and wasn't aware that different manufacturers could be different.

Was hoping to plump for something a bit cheaper tbh.

My friend runs TVR front wheels all round on his Ur with spacers and has not had issues in 15 years.
Same tyre type front and rear but as above dont worry about tread depth.

--

Not sure if everyone will like the sound of my unfiltered 45's!

You have to change all four tyres at once. That's why it's called Quattro. Quattro means four.

Should have got a Fiat Uno instead.

There is a song about that:)

--

Not sure if everyone will like the sound of my unfiltered 45's!

Andy G said...

The use of tyres with varying degrees of wear will not adversely affect the four wheel drive transmission.

Where's the "whistle's innocently" smiley??

--

Cheers,
Mike

funlurva said...

My friend runs TVR front wheels all round on his Ur with spacers and has not had issues in 15 years.

Some would say that is a perfect waste of electrons through sheer boredom ;)

--

Surely greater tread must equal greater diameter?
:lol:

caneswell said...

Andy G said...

Where's the "whistle's innocently" smiley??

DON'T START THIS AGAIN! :evil: :lol:

And besides... all that proves is they are happy that the system can accomodate the slight change in rolling radius due to tyre wear, but they can't account for different brands actually being different sizes.

Now look what you made me do.... :cry:

Haldex or proper quattro?

NotoriousREV said...

The tank track analogy is a pile of horseshit and here's why:

If the rubber blocks on the tank track are thicker and you measure the path taken by a fixed point, the point travels further than if the tread blocks were narrower effectively increasing the rolling radius of the track. It's very simple. Any other answer is simply incorrect.

BOOM!

8)

--

NotoriousREV said...

The tank track analogy is a pile of horseshit and here's why:

If the rubber blocks on the tank track are thicker and you measure the path taken by a fixed point, the point travels further than if the tread blocks were narrower effectively increasing the rolling radius of the track. It's very simple. Any other answer is simply incorrect.

So you think you'd travel further than one track length per revolution? :lol:

Sorry couldn't help it....Mik started it anyway! ;)

--

Cheers,
Mike

Very true. But where the track makes contact with the ground is where the track doesn't act like a wheel.

Imagine the top of the track being round instead of flat... :lol:

--

NotoriousREV said...

Of course not....

We're agreed then....phew

--

Cheers,
Mike

NotoriousREV said...

The shape doesn't matter, the rolling radius lengthens with thicker tread blocks. Simple mathematic fact.

Yes, but I assume the theory is that as your tread wears down, the tyre gets more supple and expands more, thusly counteracting the effect.

Obviously doesn't apply to tank tracks (though I think I've missed that analogy - has someone deleted a post?) as there's no air pressure to make the track expand.

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular