Forums > General > Sticky(ish): Film Reviews

STICKY(ISH): FILM REVIEWS

Rather like computer games, I have a feeling I'm shallow to enjoy it just for the visuals. I'll download a Bluray copy and report back.

27Gilles said...

Jobbo said...

27Gilles said...

Book of Eli - Rubbish:x

I recorded that on the basis that the trailer looked quite good in the cinemas when it came out. Should I simply delete it without watching it then?

I am tempted to say delete due to the fact that is a blatant Zatoichi/Mad Max/The Postman rip-off. But I'd say watch it. You might enjoy it...

Zatoichi was amazing! Brilliant movie that...

--

Bunta's Tofu

Zatoichi is an awesome film. I must have watched it at least 20 times. Never ceases to amaze me.

--

Definition of an optimist… "A person who thinks he can just afford to run a second-hand Aston Martin"

27Gilles said...

Jobbo said...

27Gilles said...

Book of Eli - Rubbish:x

I recorded that on the basis that the trailer looked quite good in the cinemas when it came out. Should I simply delete it without watching it then?

I am tempted to say delete due to the fact that is a blatant Zatoichi/Mad Max/The Postman rip-off. But I'd say watch it. You might enjoy it...

Mad Max is awsum. The Postman is so bad I didn't manage to get half way through before having to eat my own head with the utter terribleness of it.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Initial D, film version of the popular Japanese Manga cartoon. Young driver learns how to drive his Father's AE86 by delivering Tofu to villages located along the mountain roads and meets some hardcore racers one night on his way home and wipes the floor with them. Challenges laid down result in local car clubs trying to find out the identity of the unknown driver and the reluctant hero steps forward to defeat all comers.

Very easy to watch if you're into drifting (and even if you're not), reasonably good story line, light hearted and kicks the Fast and Furious films well into touch.

8 vegetarian goo out of ten.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Taken 2

Man what a stinker! There's 2 hours of my life I'll never see again. AVOID.

1 crashing through the American Embassy and not being shot out of 10, and only that because the daughter wasn't too shabby running about in her bikini.

Luc Besson, you're not the man I married. :cry:

--

Tim

Toyota. Flat Cap. Grey Slacks. Slipons. Slower than everyone.

I came up with an idea for a film where a guys daughter was kidnapped in Paris, but it was taken. I came up with another one where the daughter was kidnapped in Istanbul but it was taken two...

--

Cheers

Rich

Dark Shadows.

I didn't get it. But then I don't usually like Tim Burton films in general. It didn't really know what it was trying to be; it somehow wasnt funny or serious, and it dragged on because of it.

3/10

The mechanic

Totally standard Jason statham film - I enjoyed it in a brain out style. I didn't really get the ending though - justice wasn't really served in the usual "JS film everyone gets what they deserve" style. Talking about it would spoil the (admittedly small) plot so I won't.

7/10

--

Cheers

Rich

Violeta Parry Went to Heaven

It was the future exgf's choice and it being London Film Week she managed to find this film at Curzon Mayfair. Good acting and well made, detailing the life of this Chilean folk singer but way too depressing for a Tuesday night - or any night for that matter. 5 sending the daughter out to pick berries and shooting yourself out of 10. On the plus side there was some posh foreign totty in the cinema :D

Not quite films but been to the theatre in that London town a couple of times recently.

Yes Prime Minister

One of those times when you turn up hoping that it's going to be exactly as you expect and I wasn't disappointed. It's natural that your brain wants the original actors there for authenticity but the actors on the evening were pretty good. As well as the Jim Hacker, Sir Humphrey and Bernard there was the addition of a rather nice actress playing the governmental media advisor role. We had good seats on row two and it was like having the acting done in your living room, they were that close. The story line is simple and obviously leaves Hacker in a predicament that he has to try and get out of. I enjoyed it and spurred me on to buy the box set of the DVDs. 8 foreign minister's wanting hookers at Chequers at 3am in the morning or they won't sign the oil deal out of 10.

Mark Thomas - Bravo Figaro

I've always enjoyed Mark Thomas' work on the TV so thought I'd try out his stand up. In a little theatre near Kilburn he basically did a two part show. The first third was more routine stand up and quoting lines and stories behind his book "The People's Manifesto" (He did a tour where he asked the audience for their manifesto suggestions beforehand and used this as a basis for each show, putting the best bits into a book at the end of it all). Having read the book I knew most of the gags but they were still funny as he described them. The second two thirds were rather unexpected but he basically moved away from the stand up and left wing political stuff to document his relationship with his father, who was a hard working, tough guy from South London and how his father came to like opera. This used recorded conversations and some acting on his part to set the scene of Royal Opera House singers ending up in his parent's living room performing his favourite songs.
I think if I'd have gone there requiring his usual kind of work then I'd have been disappointed but it was interesting and different. 7 arias sung in a living room in Bournemouth out of 10.

TV.

The Wire - starting watching series one. Box set says there's 3600 minutes to watch. 4 Episodes in and enjoying it and looking forward to see how it develops.

Tim said...

Taken 2

Man what a stinker! There's 2 hours of my life I'll never see again. AVOID.

1 crashing through the American Embassy and not being shot out of 10, and only that because the daughter wasn't too shabby running about in her bikini.

Luc Besson, you're not the man I married. :cry:

Did you like the first one, Tim?

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Real Steel - you can stick Short Circuit up your socket! This is a proper robot film! Pretty cool film with robots punching the nuts and bolts out of each other. Somewhere in there is a father and son story, plus you have the lovely Evangeline Lilly to keep the eyes happy8)

Updated October 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

--

Definition of an optimist… "A person who thinks he can just afford to run a second-hand Aston Martin"

Killer Joe (IMDB)

"When a debt puts a young man's life in danger, he turns to putting a hit out on his evil mother in order to collect the insurance."

Where to start with this!

First off any film with Matthew McConaughey in it is an instant groan from me. But, I have to say he put in a good performance in this film.

If you like naked jailbait, poky nipples and punching women in the face you definitely won't be disappointed.

Despite many WTF! moments, I enjoyed this film.

7 sucking off a KFC leg out of 10.

--

Tim

duncs500 said...

I bought Promethius on Blu Ray the other day. It's one of those where I wasn't expecting to be blown away by it, but I also know that I usually like those type of movies. And that's pretty much how it panned out, I can see why it got lacklustre reviews, but I enjoyed it.

Seven '9.9 ratings' out of ten.

It was OK in a film to watch whilst ironing ( :oops: ) type of way.

I was mostly annoyed by the fact that they flew all that way to an uncharted, potentially hostile planet with the shittest weapons ever!

Also annoyed at the quality of their helmet cams. Silly I know, but you can buy a Go-Pro with better quality than that today, let alone in 2092 when they've mastered space flight & cryogenic sleep, yet struggle to better the video quality of a 1990's Nokia :lol:

So for that, it get 5 9.9's out of 10 from me.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Rango

Outstanding.

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

Skyfall

Enjoyed it immensely, the little quips and nods to previous Bond films were fantastic and on the general whole the film was just fan-bleeding-tastic. Most likely going to watch it again at some point this week because it was that good.

9/10

Initial D

Film adaption of the cartoon. At risk of causing offence it wasn't particularly good but this was offset by the immense amount of JDM car pron . Bunta's AE86 in it is by far the coolest "normal" car I've ever seen in a film, nothing like the bark and parp of a 4AGE and the general awesomeness of the AE86. The Emperor Evo 3 was also very cool as well. 8)

Think I'll start watching the cartoon again as I've not watched it in such a long time.

7/10

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Silent Hill Revelations - it was okay. Not as good as the first, but had a couple of decent scenes. I can see a third movie in the making.

Check out this guys review of Prometheus - Click

Updated November 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM

--

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Grim in (obvious) places but very good overall.

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Tim said...

If you like naked jailbait, poky nipples and punching women in the face you definitely won't be disappointed.

I'm in!

--

Cheers,

Mike.

djchocice said...

Initial D

They could have found a better looking Asian main actress FFS.

SkyFall

Ace from start to finish. 10.1 out of 10.

--

Tim

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular