Forums > General > Sticky(ish): Film Reviews

STICKY(ISH): FILM REVIEWS

New Thing

Better than I was expecting as the original is one of my all time favs. I was expecting it to be a prequel but it's really a new story.

Wouldn't bother seeking it out but I'd leave it on in the background if it came on.

5/10

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

I've got it on the Sky box, but haven't had time to watch it yet. It clearly won't match the original, not least because it doesn't have Kurt Russell in it or Rob Bottin doing the SFX.

"...if it's not too much trouble, I'd quite like to not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING CHAIR!!" :lol:

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Great line that David:lol:

I did think it was going to end with the last remaining "Swedes" chasing the Dog in the Helicopter but no.

It is worth a watch

--

I really enjoyed the new Thing. It is a prequel in many respects, but you could see they went with the same format as the original. I rate it highly enough to have seen it twice at the cinema and purchase it on DVD.

The final scene with Swedes hunting down the dog is spine chilling, for we all know how it is going to pan out. Both the original and the prequel have two of the best cliffhanger endings in movie history with a mystery surround the main characters.

New Thing - 8/10

PS - The Thing (original) is up there as my fav sc-fi movie of all time!

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

Ascender said...

Prometheus - Looks absolutely stunning. Loved the trailers and I thought it started OK, but just descends in to absolute nonsense and then a sci-fi b-movie by numbers where everyone gets offed one by one by some alien thing.

Not sure at which point it goes crap, it could be when the two scientists decide its a good idea to play with the snake cock monster (having previously been absolutely crapping themselves about being on the planet) or the surgery machine. Actually, I think its definitely the abortion vending machine. I did wonder why they'd shoe-horned it in to movie earlier when they went in to Charlize's bit of the ship.

3/5 because I loved the holo-projection video tape memory stuff.

That about sums it up really although I'd only give it 4/10

--

Looper.

I expected more tbh - it was ok, but no better than jumper for instance. The plot was alright, but they didn't put nearly enough explaination for why the future baddy was so bad. The make up was pretty impressive though.

6/10

--

Cheers

Rich

I enjoyed Prometheus. I didn't buy into the ZOMG ITS A NEW ALIENS ITS GOING TO BE THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED TITS hype and I will admit it was poorly written with large parts of the plot seeming entirely superflous (it was written by Damon Lindelof who was one of the lead writers on Lost btw :lol: ).

Saying that I enjoyed the ambiguous nature of it, I like space movies that don't explain everything. Most of the cast were great and it looked gorgeous. It's not the best film ever made but it didn't deserve the drubbing it's been getting around the internet.

I'd give it 9.9 out of 10 (but probably a 6 ETA make that a 7)

Updated October 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

--

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

Frankenweenie. Superb fun. As good as nightmare before Christmas and its sequel I think. The cat and little girl in it need a film of their own :D

9 sea monkeys out of 10.

--

Caterham 7 - Seat, steering wheel, pedals, er... Lights?

speedingfine said...

Frankenweenie. Superb fun. As good as nightmare before Christmas and its sequel I think. The cat and little girl in it need a film of their own :D

9 sea monkeys out of 10.

A bit shameful that as a 23 year old lad I really want to see this, the advert makes me laugh everytime. :lol:

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Book of Eli - Rubbish:x

--

speedingfine said...

Actually, I think its definitely the abortion vending machine

I thought that bit was a cracking piece of cinema :oops:

You are Yu AICMFP

That bit was just completely unnecessary, and I think marked the point where the film jumped the shark.

Nobody has mentioned running in a straight line from a falling/rolling spaceship!

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

27Gilles said...

I recorded that on the basis that the trailer looked quite good in the cinemas when it came out. Should I simply delete it without watching it then?

Jobbo said...

27Gilles said...

I recorded that on the basis that the trailer looked quite good in the cinemas when it came out. Should I simply delete it without watching it then?

I am tempted to say delete due to the fact that is a blatant Zatoichi/Mad Max/The Postman rip-off. But I'd say watch it. You might enjoy it...

--

Jobbo said...

27Gilles said...

It's a daft movie but worth a watch if you're a fan of post apocalypse style stuff. Denzel Washington is as watchable as ever and you can never go wrong with Gary Oldman playing a villain.

--

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

The cast is appealing. I'll give it a go.

Naturally. I do rate Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman, plus you have a some eye candy in the form of Mila Kunis.

--

Si_ said...

speedingfine said...

Actually, I think its definitely the abortion vending machine

I thought that bit was a cracking piece of cinema :oops:

You are Yu AICMFP

Except it is already a matter of record that I was disappointed in Prometheus and that scene in particular. :lol:

But the jumping the shark moment was the bit mentioned where the two guys were running back to the ship because they were scared, got lost despite the endless shots of the mapping probes scanning everywhere and then took a close look at the scary worm thing thinking it was cute... :roll:

Updated October 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Looper

I liked it an awful lot, it was predictable but there was a bit of a twist at the end. The Mazda MX5 being a classic was a rather cool touch as well I thought. The idea behind the film was however fantastic, truly original. 8)

8/10

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Well I just thought thé purpose of that scene was to scare ya. I watched that bit sh1tting myself, ergo I thought it was good :-)

--

Caterham 7 - Seat, steering wheel, pedals, er... Lights?

I bought Promethius on Blu Ray the other day. It's one of those where I wasn't expecting to be blown away by it, but I also know that I usually like those type of movies. And that's pretty much how it panned out, I can see why it got lacklustre reviews, but I enjoyed it.

Seven '9.9 ratings' out of ten.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular