Forums > General > Sticky(ish): Film Reviews

STICKY(ISH): FILM REVIEWS

David_Yu said...

Taken: Great Luc Besson scripted action flick with Liam Neeson on superb, deadly form.
I will force my daughters to watch this before they scoot off round the world by themselves for the first time.
8 "leave the light switches on" out of 10.

I agree - Taken is a very good film and well worth watching. I'd give it 8.5 out of 10.

--

Speed holes.

I watched Le Mans for the first time in about 15 years. The cars are still lovely, and I'd forgotten just how tacked on the story is! 8/10

Watchmen - thoroughly enjoyable, a little slow and ponderous at the start but worth seeing purely for Rorschach's psychotic behaviour. Dr. Manhattan's glowing blue genitals susprising, but over-rated. Some nice graveyard humour, and good use of skin-tight latex. 7.5 amputated convicts' arms out of 10.

Reservoir Dogs - an old favourite, I hadn't seen it in ages, but it's still excellent. The dialogue, the straining nerves, the claustrophobia and the flat-out flawless performances from the principals make this, in my view, one of the best films evar. 9/10, Palme D'Or, eccentric big-chinned director.

Marked for Death - as a student of the oeuvre of Seagal (from his early days of actual fighting to his more recent, bloated, mumbling, close-up-fatty-chip-chop style) I can conclusively state that this is a good one, as early '90s drug-related action flicks go. It has firearms, some splendidly cheesy dialogue, and voodoo-enhanced Yardies. The awesomeness does not permit a score. Beer required for proper enjoyment.

The Matrix: Revolution - or whatever. The third one, anyway. Utter cack. In fact, to describe it in such terms is to defame sewage. The only redeeming feature is the giant, cannoned-up robots. And even they have to be re-loaded by blokes with wheelbarrows. A final pathetic spasm from a trilogy that initially promised great things. 1/10. Beer does not help.

--

Even the Russians know better than to fuck with me.

Tango said...

JL - You like Juno? You have just gone through the floor in my estimation.

I watched it on my PSP on the way back from holiday once, and it just struck me as a nice, honest little film, so yeah, I enjoyed it. Sorry :(

('course I was hammmered on champers in Business Class on Emirates so life was pretty good right then 8) )

JL said...

Tango said...

I watched it on my PSP on the way back from holiday once, and it just struck me as a nice, honest little film, so yeah, I enjoyed it. Sorry :(

('course I was hammmered on champers in Business Class on Emirates so life was pretty good right then 8) )

Juno - dull with a wannabe-quirky-though-actually-very-obvious soundtrack an intensely irritating little tosser as a main character. She needed a slap.

--

Cheers

Rich

Was this just the films you watched on Tuesday morning, JL?

Ha ha, no but not far off ! :lol:

JL said...

Tango said...

What champ. were you on and how were you consuming it?

--

That wasn't a crash, that was a total, catastrophic failure of his talent.

JL said...

Business Class on Emirates

Glass glasses and metal cutlery FTW!!!

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

It was after the best diving holiday of all time, and 6 hours of domestic flights in Indonesia - I nearly wept with joy when they let us on board.

They do know how to look after you, right from the black S Class that drove me too and from from home to the black S-Class that drove me too and from my Hotel...

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Watchmen

The most overhyped comic of all time turned into a visually interesting but ultimately boring movie.

3 out 10 capes

Crank 2

Just amazing, tons of action, stupid, rude, none pc and total gonzo film making - I loved it.

10 out of 10 Godzilla fight sequences

--

Bunta's Tofu

JL said...

"Pensive Retard" - perfection 8)

The only thing I would say about that approach is don't forget that Russell Crowe was in A Beautiful Mind. Took a lot of persuading for me to watch it just because of that, and it's now one of my all-time favourites of all time.

But I like Russell Crowe! He's excellent in quite a few things, in particular "The Insider".

I really enjoyed District 9, thought it was an interesting take and liked the premise of it.

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

Bunta said...

Crank 2

Just amazing, tons of action, stupid, rude, none pc and total gonzo film making - I loved it.

10 out of 10 Godzilla fight sequences

Ah, ta, forgot about that - renting now ;)

I thinkk District 9 is the film of the summer as popcorn action flicks go, proper good blockbuster action.

JL said...

The only thing I would say about that approach is don't forget that Russell Crowe was in A Beautiful Mind. Took a lot of persuading for me to watch it just because of that, and it's now one of my all-time favourites of all time.

Everybody says A Beautiful Mind is very good, I know I should watch it... but I can't, I just can't. I find the fact that it's good completely incomprehensible.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Crank 2 - about as bonkers as films get.

get some beers in and watch it.

Beany said...

Crank 2 - about as bonkers as films get.

get some beers in and watch it.

+1

Same as the first one but everythings turned up to 11. Top telly. 8)

Lucky Number Slevin - Watched for the 2nd time this evening after seeing it way back when it was first released. Great, great film. Lots of coolly played out death-dealing at a remarkably gentle pace.

9 baseball to the eyes out of 10.

duncs500 said...

JL said...

Everybody says A Beautiful Mind is very good, I know I should watch it... but I can't, I just can't. I find the fact that it's good completely incomprehensible.

I implore you to see past Crowe Teh Cock and watch it, it's remarkable.

David_Yu said...

Tropic Thunder: Didn't have particularly high expectations, but actually found it consistently amusing. Robert Downey Jr was funny, but Tom Cruise was revelatory!
7 "licking the inside of a severed heads" out of 10.

I might even give that an 8 :D

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular