Forums > General > Sticky(ish): Film Reviews

STICKY(ISH): FILM REVIEWS
Prev | 1..85..167168169 | Next

_Who_ said...

So how many times can the 'dinosaurs on the loose, humans in peril' story be told?

As long as they can make the next film be as good as the last 20mins of Jurassic World, they can do it as many times as they like.

Shame about the preceding hour mind, which was alright, but not really standout. Even Chris Pratt, who can make lots of odd premises watchable, seemed to be struggling.

I can't help thinking that if they're going to mostly ignore the source material in terms of tone (suspense, drama, etc) then they might as well just go batshit insane with it and make a high budget b-movie.

Anyway, 6/10 - worth a rent, even if it's just for that last fight scene.

I too enjoyed the lizard film. Worth watching, although not a classic. And did anyone not guess what the new dinosaur was based on.....

6 DNA strands out of 10.

Ant-Man - considering that I've never read any of the comics, other than a few Avengers crossovers. I really enjoyed it. Michael Pena's character Luiz is the reak star... Well worth a watch...

--

McSwede said...

Never realised Gilles was a Southern fanny though. He seemed like such a decent chap. I shall eye him with suspicion from this day forth ;)

Wish I'd caught Ant Man whilst it was still on the decent sized screens as I've not missed a proper Marvel Cinematic Universe movie yet, but this one got a resounding "meh" from potential film-viewing partners.

I absolutely will not pay to see Fantastic Four though. Really tired of these "churn out remakes to keep a franchise within/introduce-to-a-new studio" productions.
See "Amazing Spider-Man" and its sequel for more in that category.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David. You should seriously reconsider your potential film going partners. Ant-Man is great romp. Sticks with the comic book style humour. But like you, I refuse to watch FF or any of the ASM re-re-makes. They should have stuck with Anthony Garfield. He done a pretty decent job.

--

McSwede said...

Never realised Gilles was a Southern fanny though. He seemed like such a decent chap. I shall eye him with suspicion from this day forth ;)

David_Yu said...

Wish I'd caught Ant Man whilst it was still on the decent sized screens

Sit closer. HTH

FdEoin said...

David_Yu said...

Sit closer. HTH

:lol:

--

McSwede said...

27Gilles said...

FdEoin said...

David_Yu said...

Sit closer. HTH

"Oh noes, this film is being shown on a massive screen slightly less massive than the other massive screens in this cinema therefore I shall refuse to watch it here and watch it on my 42" TV" :belm:

--

"Everyone should do everything like Rev does. He's the forum Kanye West 21st century role model" - McSwede

"I'm still not clear what your opinion is, other than everyone else is wrong." - Jobbo

27Gilles said...

David. You should seriously reconsider your potential film going partners. Ant-Man is great romp. Sticks with the comic book style humour. But like you, I refuse to watch FF or any of the ASM re-re-makes. They should have stuck with Anthony Garfield. He done a pretty decent job.

I was referring to the Anthony Garfield films!
Tobey MacGuire did a great job only 10 years ago, we really didn't need to see an origin story remake (although I guess Sony did).

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

NotoriousREV said...

27Gilles said...

FdEoin said...

David_Yu said...

Sit closer. HTH

"Oh noes, this film is being shown on a massive screen slightly less massive than the other massive screens in this cinema therefore I shall refuse to watch it here and watch it on my 42" TV" :belm:

7ft projector on Blu Ray for less than the price of two tickets beats the manky smaller screens at our local multiplex. Only downside is waiting for a couple of months.

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

The Most Violent Year

Don't be put off because of the title like I was. I really enjoyed it.

"structured "like a good, old-fashioned gangster flick, with car chases and gunplay", but centred on a character who saw sticking to the law, not breaking it, as the way to haul himself and his family out of the swamp"

N said...

The Most Violent Year

Don't be put off because of the title like I was. I really enjoyed it.

"structured "like a good, old-fashioned gangster flick, with car chases and gunplay", but centred on a character who saw sticking to the law, not breaking it, as the way to haul himself and his family out of the swamp"

Never got round to watching this, but will do. Looks like a good story.

--

McSwede said...

Dammit, went to see The Man From UNCLE despite my initial reaction to the terrible trailer.

Let's just say, the trailer was not misleading.

Easily Guy Ritchie's worst film (excluding his universally derided home movie one with Madge, which I will never see). None of the usual spark, quick fire dialogue, and snappy editing.

Amazingly blatant use of Goodwood as some unnamed Italian race track too, with a bizarre mix of cars on track.

But worst of all, it all had absolutely nothing to do with the original TV series, although I guess it's supposed to be an origin story. Not even a token playing of the iconic theme tune, which is surely the entire reason old TV series are remade into movies? (Imagine Mission: Impossible without Lalo Schifrin's theme tune.)

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

mik said...

I too enjoyed the lizard film. Worth watching, although not a classic. And did anyone not guess what the new dinosaur was based on.....

6 DNA strands out of 10.

Dinosaurs weren't lizards Mik :roll:.

To correct the other error on this page, Andrew Garfield played Spider-Man.

--

I often drive for a road travel

zedleg said...

Dinosaurs weren't lizards Mik :roll:.

David_Yu said...

Dammit, went to see The Man From UNCLE despite my initial reaction to the terrible trailer.

Let's just say, the trailer was not misleading.

Easily Guy Ritchie's worst film (excluding his universally derided home movie one with Madge, which I will never see). None of the usual spark, quick fire dialogue, and snappy editing.

Amazingly blatant use of Goodwood as some unnamed Italian race track too, with a bizarre mix of cars on track.

But worst of all, it all had absolutely nothing to do with the original TV series, although I guess it's supposed to be an origin story. Not even a token playing of the iconic theme tune, which is surely the entire reason old TV series are remade into movies? (Imagine Mission: Impossible without Lalo Schifrin's theme tune.)

Having never seen the TV programme (and not having any pre-judgements), I rather liked it. A bit slow to start and Henry Cavill's accent was annoying, but entertaining and a great soundtrack. 7/10

Nerds seem to love it when films nod to past references and I think it can hold films back. I hate the mission impossible soundtrack and think the film would be better if they started fresh.

Straight Outta Compton

Been looking forward to this one ever since I heard it was being made, and it didn't disappoint. As a longtime fan of Dre, NWA, Cube etc the actors playing the lead roles were spot-on convincing, especially of course Cube Jnr playing Cube. OK there were a few glib moments - Cube reading the script to Friday, Snoop and Dre suddenly launching into Nuttin But A G Thang as it was being written, stuff like that - but the whole film just worked. It stomps along like an action movie, it doesn't fall into the trap of glorification and in the end it's just a really good (of course, true) story. 2.5 hours very well spent, I loved it.

9 shots to the motherfvcking dome out of 10. Only loses a point for maybe trying to cover a bit too much ground and it all seeming to come together a bit too easily for them all, but I forgive it. Fvck Da Po-leess!

Updated August 28, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Alex88 said...

The John Connor becoming a Terminator thing was just an awful cherry on top.

ive just watched it, this was the main issue - and it was a biggie.

--

Cheers

Rich

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular