Forums > General > Sticky(ish): Film Reviews

STICKY(ISH): FILM REVIEWS
Prev | 1..74..145146147 | Next

27Gilles said...

Filth - what the hell have I just watched. The film is flipping brillant! Top casting. End credit sketch is a blast. 4 out of 5 piggies...

I never expect a bad performance from James McAvoy but he was fvcking brilliant in that.

--

This ^

N said...

zedleg said...

The Wind Rises

Possibly the last Studio Ghibli movie. A biopic of the man who developed the Misubishi Zero plane for Japan, it's very good. Tells an understated story while still fitting in all the Miyazaki themes and some nice fantasy touches. Highly recommended.

9 out of 10

I hope you watched in Japanese with the subtitles

Of course, although Studio Ghibli normally do a good job with the dubs.

--

I often drive for a road travel

David_Yu said...

Philomena Cunk said...

zedleg said...

The post credit scene is a lead in to Guardians of the Galaxy

ahhhh, i really want to see that, looks good

GotG is fantastic fun. The best feel-good movie in years.

Watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier on Blu Ray a couple of days ago and it was still awesome on second viewing.

One of the better Marvel sequels after the dire Thor2

I found watching Tom Cruise die alot in Edge of Tomorrow really rather amusing. x100000 times better than the awful Oblivion
And it's old but it was on my to watch list Tower Heist, really good.

Updated September 8, 2014 at 9:26 PM

_Who_ said...

The Fault in Our Stars

Really? This is a chick flick right? Well, no. Firstly, it gets 8.2 on IMDB, and they don't tolerate fools lightly.

So, Shailene Woodley (Divergent, The Descendants) plays a 17 year old girl with terminal cancer who falls for an 18 year old played by Ansel Elgort (Divergent, Carrie (2013)) whilst at a 'coping' group. You expect the typical story of love and loss, but the film twists in a slightly less predictable way 2/3 through and takes you through an emotional journey that focuses not so much on death, but life and living.

The two young main actors do a superb job of both conveying 'this is cancer and it sucks' with an intimacy and respect for each other that manages to avoid the cliches of your typical bird flick.

I don't want to say too much - it's worth exploring for yourself if you get a chance, and also enjoy Willem Defoe as he plays the drunken author, who plays his role brilliantly and with just enough vitriol to make the viewer both hate and like him in equal measure.

9 DNRs out of 10.

+1. Great movie(the soundtrack is excellent too).

I thought Oblivion was okay actually.

I watched Memento at the weekend and thought it was interesting without really hitting the spunkometer heights that the internet would have you believe.

Rich B said...

I confess - I prefer animated stuff dubbed...:shock:

You may as well watch a Disney film then.

You are missing out on the charm of the accent and irregular phrases that don't translate well.

N said...

Rich B said...

You are missing out on the charm of the accent and irregular phrases that don't translate well.

You're missing the intricacies of the visuals by having to read the text.

--

Cheers

Rich

240PP said...

27Gilles said...

Filth - what the hell have I just watched. The film is flipping brillant! Top casting. End credit sketch is a blast. 4 out of 5 piggies...

I never expect a bad performance from James McAvoy but he was fvcking brilliant in that.

Got that waiting to be watched - we ended up watching Trainspotting again when I was going to put it on, because it had been so many years since we'd seen it.

N said...

Rich B said...

While I don't share the sneering disdain for Disney films, he has a point. As I said before though Ghibli generally do a good job with their dubs. I prefer Porco Rosso in English as I think that Micheal Keaton's voice fits the character really well.

--

Jobbo said...

240PP said...

27Gilles said...

Got that waiting to be watched - we ended up watching Trainspotting again when I was going to put it on, because it had been so many years since we'd seen it.

I couldn't get into Filth. I fvcking hate Irvine Welsh though so that could explain it.

--

For most foreign live action films, I find dubbing really distracting and I'd always prefer subtitles. But with the fairly crude animation of Ghibli stuff, the voices easily match the mouth movements enough to not matter.

--

Cheers

Rich

zedleg said...

I couldn't get into Filth. I fvcking hate Irvine Welsh though so that could explain it.

I assume you've not read the book then. One of my favourites of his works. They don't always translate that well to screen, mind you.

I loved Filth, caught it on Netflix recently and was totally barmy, the running length was spot on so the time flew by without any time to think about wtf was going on.

Frank is another utterly nuts film but for different reasons. Very funny but also melancholic, its one of my favourite films of the year, have re-watched it a few times since it came out last week and the music is brilliant too.

Chinchilla!

--

Cheers,

Mike.

ender's game - a neat and well done syfy 7.5/10

Updated September 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Philomena Cunk said...

No no no no no no.

Awful stupid and above all boring adaption of a really good book.

RobYob said...

Philomena Cunk said...

No no no no no no.

Awful stupid and above all boring adaption of a really good book.

Films ruin any good book

Having not read the book, I enjoyed it, not an epic film but enjoyable

--

WIBBLE

Love the beast - eric bana's v8 muscle car - docu/film (on netflixs)

I really bloody enjoyed this mate, extremely well put together, some fantastic cars and the targa Tasmania

I actually enjoyed this even more than Senna, 10/10

SPOLIER

he has rebuilt it ;)

Updated September 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM

--

WIBBLE

Agreed Love the Beast is a great car film. If I win the Lotto Targa Tasmania would be on my list of things to do.

Enders game is a classic Scifi book you should read (and try your best to ignore the fact Orson Scott Card is a grade A twunt)

Film is missing the important tangent thread about Ender's Brother and Sister basically taking over the world while Ender is fighting bugs. The kids in the book are much younger too preventing the awkward pseudo romance between Ender and Petra from the film.

Updated September 13, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I don't think it is missing that, it would've been too much to fit into a movie. I thought the film did a decent job of making a fun sci-fi movie.

--

I've never posted here :oops: , but I thought I should after watching Love the beast (only watched due to comments on here)

What a film/doc. I loved it. I have feelings to restart my rallying after that. But I no longer live near my dad and it was he who helped before. I certainly feel I need his help to do it.

Really really good film. 10/10 - if you're a petrolhead, it certainly is a film to watch. Much respect to Eric and his friends.

--

Nuts on the road

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular