Forums > Any other business > Sticky(ish): Film Reviews

STICKY(ISH): FILM REVIEWS
Prev | 1..104..205206207 | Next

Arrival - think Contact meets The Day The Earth Stood Still (original) meets Signs. It's smart, well acted, and doesn't try to be too clever. Forrest Whitaker steals the show. Amy Adams is hot and one is a superb actress.

--

McSwede said...

Never realised Gilles was a Southern fanny though. He seemed like such a decent chap. I shall eye him with suspicion from this day forth ;)

Suicide Squad

God, that really wasn't very good at all.

I mean, Ghostbusters had some thematic dissonance, but this is on another level. It's almost worth watching just to see how badly you can butcher a film post-hoc.

Blatantly put together as a 'dark, gritty' film, then recoloured, resoundtracked and edited to try to give it some levity, and it just doesn't work.

Don't get me wrong - it's very professionally shot. But there's just nothing to see here. It's dull as all fvck, not remotely engaging and yes, the best lines are all it the trailers. And the trailers weren't all that.

4/10 because it's not worth coming up with a contextually relevant score for. One of the worst films I've seen in a good long while. Ghostbusters is significantly better than this, and that's not a compliment.

Not even worth it for Harlequin? :cry:

27Gilles said...

Arrival - think Contact meets The Day The Earth Stood Still (original) meets Signs. It's smart, well acted, and doesn't try to be too clever. Forrest Whitaker steals the show. Amy Adams is hot and one is a superb actress.

It reminded me of shutter islands. I walked out of the cinema trying to understand what happened. :lol: well shot but story was random as, were there really aliens or was it a way of telling the tragic event.

Updated November 19, 2016 at 11:38 PM

Barry said...

Yes one for the bank 8)

Barry said...

As a character she is staggeringly grating.

The very definition of why when you're adapting a comic/cartoon character, you need to be careful.

I didn't find her particularly bankable, because as soon as your mind starts heading in that direction, she opens her mouth and immediately becomes supremely irritating.

I'm sure Margot Robbie did the best with what she was given, but what she was given was just fvcking awful.

Really enjoying the new Youtube videos from ShockDiamond collaborating with Salomondrin and Zoella.

I watched both Suicide Squad and the extended Batman V Superman films recently and they were both utterly dreadful. No cohesive plot in either and they were both way too long. I thought Suicide Squad looked like great fun from the trailer but was bobbins.

Took the kids to see Fantastic Beasts last night and it was enjoyable enough, quite entertaining.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

N said...

Really enjoying the new Youtube videos from ShockDiamond collaborating with Salomondrin and Zoella.

SD x Alfie Deyes collab in the making? Working title is "Life's Too ShockDiamonds" I'm told.

Oh my gosh.

8)

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

ITV3 rang, they want a 12 episode outline by Wednesday.

I'm thinking for the season finale, PewDiePie reaction video to SD test driving an E60 530d SE with active body and HID.

He's going to flid his lid.

I loaded Kodi (with Exodus) onto my FireStick yesterday and had a quick search through the latest film section.

The Shallows

Standard issue shark movie - but a decent one. Please deliver Blake Lively in an orange bikini to me immediately.

7/10

--

Cheers

Rich

Cars 3 looks interesting.
Your link text

--

McSwede said...

Never realised Gilles was a Southern fanny though. He seemed like such a decent chap. I shall eye him with suspicion from this day forth ;)

27Gilles said...

Cars 3 looks interesting.

They'll need a big big big recovery from the depths of 2 and Planes :(

The Accountant

It really couldn't decide whether it was a clever thriller or a daft action movie. It couldn't even really decide if the main protagonist was a hero or anti-hero. It has charm, though, so it's enjoyable enough on that score.

One bit that really annoyed me: there's a really stupid montage where Ben Affleck is shown to be doing lots of maths on whiteboards, walls and glass partitions. He's so amazing and prodigious at his maths that he gets through 6 whiteboard pens! Except he's only actually written on 3 normal sized whiteboards, and he's not even written much. I assume he was drinking the ink or something.

Anyway, it gets 6 gambling dogs out of 10.

--

Discoc*nts

Steve Jobs - Wank.

3 behind the times smartphones out of 10.

John Carter - Only managed about an hour before I had to turn that sh1t off. Wow!

The Revenant - Excellent stuff. Really enjoyed it, especially during the times when I could actually understand Tom Hardy's mumblings.

8 decidedly ticked off Bears out of 10.

--

SD said.....

...it looked like a dog with worms, dragging its arse across the lawn.

I thought John Carter (Warlord Of Mars) was great. What really let it down was the marketing and Disney not releasing the film under its full comic book title. But hey, each to their own.

--

McSwede said...

Network (1975) Available on Netflix

I can't remember enjoying watching a film this much in over a year.

Two thumbs up.

27Gilles said...

I thought John Carter (Warlord Of Mars) was great. What really let it down was the marketing and Disney not releasing the film under its full comic book title. But hey, each to their own.

I enjoyed it, a solid 7/10

--

Jesus wept - that has to be the gayest post I've ever made, and not by a small amount either - JL

WIBBLE

N said...

Network (1975) Available on Netflix

I can't remember enjoying watching a film this much in over a year.

Two thumbs up.

quality example of the names being in the wrong place on the poster!

--

Cheers

Rich

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular