Forums > Moaning forum > British Suits

BRITISH SUITS
Previous | 123 | Next

Mostly crap from what I've seen so far in my search for a new suite for the big day.

I'm not into the traditional wedding suit thing, so have been looking at other options. Knew straight away what I was after, and if I lived on the continent it appears I'd have umpteen possibilities in terms of getting it.

However, I live in this country. And it seems to me that unless you go bespoke, most off the peg stuff is just mind-numbingly dull (very American-like even). Whether you pay upwards of ú700 for the likes of the more designer-y names, you'll still look like you're wearing a Burtons special.

What's worse is I'm built like a racing snake so suits tend to hang off me anyway.

I'm now pinning my hopes on a place in Soho having what I'm after. Tried one of their off the peg ones on at a shop in Chester and it fitted 'like a glove'.

I read the title as 'British Sluts' :(

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

Get one tailored and you will be the talk of the town 8)

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

David9670 said...

Dave!

Indeed. Go to a proper tailor and have one made to measure. I have a couple and they're lovely to wear compared to off the peg tat, and will last a lot longer.

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

_Tim_ said...

David9670 said...

Dave!

Indeed. Go to a proper tailor and have one made to measure. I have a couple and they're lovely to wear compared to off the peg tat, and will last a lot longer.

What they said. You'd be surprised how affordable a tailored suit is too.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

I have checked that option out. It's actually still not that cheap. Or I'm a pauper, more like.:lol:

I'll see what happens on my trip to London though.

thegavster said...

I read the title as 'British Sluts' :(

Me too brother. One eyed jack productions ftw !

--

M Coupe Spotted

I have the same problem, I am just not large enough for most off the rack suits. Fucked if I'm gonna spend 1k+ on a Prada that fits me, but is of insufficient quality.

So I went to an Italian tailor and the difference in look and quality is quite astonishing. It's like switching from a Kia to a Rolls. Combine that with a nice Eton shirt and a proper hand made tie and people will just start throwing money/themselves at you.

[/nebpor]

--

I can't believe they taking Wilspeed's wealth
they took my rings, they took my Rolex
I looked at the brotha said "Damn, what's next?"

Fo sho.

Wedding?... Combine a stag do trip to Thailand with getting some made to measure suits - job done.

--

JonMad said...

Wedding?... Combine a stag do trip to Thailand with getting some made to measure suits - job done.

That was mooted for my stag do :lol:

I think a stag do in Bangkok would be absolutely lethal.

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

Paul Smith suits are good for men of a slim build. Leigh is very slim and he rates them.

There's a Paul Smith factory shop in Bicester - but you take your chances as to whether they have something you like.

How about Crombie? There's a store in Manchester and they do tailoring - so if you find something you like, they'll make it fit perfectly.

And look - Jeff West has now got a store in Manchester, so you can get some cool shoes too 8)

http://www.jeffery-west.co.uk/

--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carolineccb/

The trouble is when you're looking for a 3-piece Caroline. Not many do them, although apparently that will probably change next year.

Crombie have some waistcoats for their suits;

http://www.crombie.co.uk/c/Category_Men_Suits.htm

Maybe not what you're after though...

--

Shit website, good suits:

http://www.edeandravenscroft.co.uk/

__CA__ said...

[LIFTED] website, good suits:

http://www.edeandravenscroft.co.uk/

They done our graduation gowns a few years back. Horrific material. (Can't comment on the suits though)

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

Austin Reed do bespoke wool suits from about ú380. Obviously the more you pay the better the material (wool/cashmere blend...etc), better lining (silk rather than polyester)...etc

A cheap suit can still look good if the cut is right. I have a M&S slim fit which i wear to work and paid about ú60 for. It's a wool blend but the cut is perfect for me so looks much more expensive.

Maybe, if you don't want to spend a massive amount but want something good, go to Slater Menswear. They do free alterations for the life of the garment. You can buy a reasonable off the peg suit and have the jacket taken in, the sleeves shortened, the trousers just the right length and the excess material around the thighs reduced. Little nips and tucks and make a whole load of difference and of course it costs you nothing.

--

My flickr pics

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting"
PS3N = RJOP83

carolineccb1 said...

There's a Paul Smith factory shop in Bicester - but you take your chances as to whether they have something you like.

Also take your chances on being surrounded by the highest concentration of pikeys in the known universe. Bicester Village is RANCID.

As I mentioned in the weekend thread, we can sort out your wedding favors etc, I give you best price!

Praline filled hearts for the ladies, Whisky truffles for the gents, in special presentation boxes?

Sorted the cake yet?

;)

jayellthe2nd said...

carolineccb1 said...

Also take your chances on being surrounded by the highest concentration of pikeys in the known universe. Bicester Village is RANCID.

You are a miserable old scrote, JL. I don't treat shopping as a social occasion, so pay scant attention to those around me. When I shop, I just want to get it over as soon as humanly possible - I don't waste my time making judgments about other shoppers. I've been to Bicester a couple of times and I dare say that I will do so again. All shopping areas are bolgia's of hell IMO, they just vary by degree of awfulness. I'll take the one where I can get the best price - if that makes me a pikey, then I'm a pikey.

--

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular