Forums > Tech > Your Fleet Running Reports

YOUR FLEET RUNNING REPORTS

mik said...

Are you able yet to assess pace compared to your sillyelise yet?

Oh it's nowhere near as quick. It's more of a physical thing though. This needs manhandling, the Elise you drove with your fingertips.

Evostick said...

My truck is currently poorly. It's leaking badly from the inlet/exhaust manifold and won't idle.

All bolts are currently soaking in penetrating oil for a week or so before I touch them.

All the nuts on the exhaust and inlet manifold were surprisingly loose :lol: All nipped up again and it's running sweetly. Really needs a new gasket but I'll wait until I've got a stainless exhaust to go on also.

GG said...

Coaster said...

GG said...

911 is booked in for a clutch change next week. Giving 9E (Nine Excellence) a try as they were competitive on price.

Will still be an expensive job (or very expensive depending on whether the dual mass flywheel needs changing too) but a once in 50k miles expense and will allow my left calf muscle to shrink back to normal size :lol:

50k, so soon? Someone at the 996 forum had similar symptoms and it turned out the clutch was completely fine, but the slave cylinder was the cause.

Have heard nothing but good things about 9e. If I had a 997 turbo I would send it to 9e and make it 700 bhp :lol:

No leaks and consistent pedal action (though heavy) and it has been a town car for perhaps 35 of those 50k miles so I think it is just due to wear.

The Porsche PPI when I bought it noted 'clutch heavy - replace soon' rather than suggesting it was a slave cylinder on the way out.

Looking back, my fathers 997.1 clearly had a duff slave as you could let your foot off the clutch and it would take a second or two to come back up which seems to be a symptom. I always thought it was odd but hadn't driven any others at that point so put it down to a quirk of the car.

If it's not slipping and the pedal is heavy it sounds more hydraulic than friction

N said...

GG said...

Coaster said...

GG said...

911 is booked in for a clutch change next week. Giving 9E (Nine Excellence) a try as they were competitive on price.

Will still be an expensive job (or very expensive depending on whether the dual mass flywheel needs changing too) but a once in 50k miles expense and will allow my left calf muscle to shrink back to normal size :lol:

50k, so soon? Someone at the 996 forum had similar symptoms and it turned out the clutch was completely fine, but the slave cylinder was the cause.

Have heard nothing but good things about 9e. If I had a 997 turbo I would send it to 9e and make it 700 bhp :lol:

No leaks and consistent pedal action (though heavy) and it has been a town car for perhaps 35 of those 50k miles so I think it is just due to wear.

The Porsche PPI when I bought it noted 'clutch heavy - replace soon' rather than suggesting it was a slave cylinder on the way out.

Looking back, my fathers 997.1 clearly had a duff slave as you could let your foot off the clutch and it would take a second or two to come back up which seems to be a symptom. I always thought it was odd but hadn't driven any others at that point so put it down to a quirk of the car.

If it's not slipping and the pedal is heavy it sounds more hydraulic than friction

I think the reason heaviness is taken as an indication of clutch wear as it is supposed to show wear in the clutch plate which then necessitates more pressure to move the friction disc the required amount - hence the heavy pedal.

As the pressure plate weakens with activations that equates to the number of times the clutch has been in and out and therefore friction plate wear.

If it was heavy after a 20k miles then yes I'd be suspecting hydraulics but they're acknowledged to last between 50-80k on average and I know the majority of miles have been in town so looks likely (hopefully!) that it's just time for a change.

--

PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

ste said...

UPDATE

Caterham Superlight R #29

Just clicked with this. Had my first 'proper' drive in it since getting it, most other times i've been taking a passenger out to show them it. Today i was on my own and just got into the zone on an empty road.

It. Is. Mental.

8)

I've only briefly driven Chris' car but it's a fun thing and the 6 speed box is lovely and snickety so I can imagine yours is a visceral beast with the engine that's in it, I bet it sounds great too 8)

--

www.hpeauto.co.uk

GG said...

N said...

GG said...

Coaster said...

GG said...

I think the reason heaviness is taken as an indication of clutch wear as it is supposed to show wear in the clutch plate which then necessitates more pressure to move the friction disc the required amount - hence the heavy pedal.

As the pressure plate weakens with activations that equates to the number of times the clutch has been in and out and therefore friction plate wear.

If it was heavy after a 20k miles then yes I'd be suspecting hydraulics but they're acknowledged to last between 50-80k on average and I know the majority of miles have been in town so looks likely (hopefully!) that it's just time for a change.

Maybe worn clutch plates is a 911 kink I don't know about, sounds plausible

All clutches get heavier as they wear, it how the spring fingers are designed so as the plate gets thinner the clamping force ( and also the effort you have to put in the pedal to overcome that ) increases. Obviously the increase on something mundane with a pretty light pedal won't be as noticeable as something with a heavier starting point.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

mik said...

Are you able yet to assess oil consumption compared to your sillyelise yet?

:?:

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

integrale_evo said...

All clutches get heavier as they wear, it how the spring fingers are designed so as the plate gets thinner the clamping force ( and also the effort you have to put in the pedal to overcome that ) increases. Obviously the increase on something mundane with a pretty light pedal won't be as noticeable as something with a heavier starting point.

It's pretty common with 996 onwards Porsches that the clutch gets changed either because it's heavy at 50-80k miles and then you find out that it's only 50% worn doh or a while you're in there job fixing oil leaks.

If it's not slipping I'd live with it.

Updated January 12, 2018 at 7:20 PM

I'm fairly confident it's going to be absolutely down to the rivets :lol:

--

PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

integrale_evo said...

mik said...

Are you able yet to assess oil consumption compared to your sillyelise yet?
[/quote]

:?:

:lol:

[quote="ste"] This needs manhandling, the Elise you drove with your fire extinguisher to hand.

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

Dan said...

I've only briefly driven Chris' car but it's a fun thing and the 6 speed box is lovely and snickety so I can imagine yours is a visceral beast with the engine that's in it, I bet it sounds great too 8)

The sound of it is utterly fantastic. It's one of the best bits of the experience.

I'll maybe get a mic and try to do a video.

ste said...

Dan said...

The sound of it is utterly fantastic. It's one of the best bits of the experience.

I'll maybe get a mic and try to do a video.

Duncs kindly let me have a go in his R400 last year. Not sure how the engine in his car compares to the one in Ste's, but flipping heck that K-Series on roller barrel throttle bodies is a wonderfully vicious thing, both in sound and performance. 4 pots haven't supposed to sound that good! The Caterham I was hiring subsequently felt rather tame.

K-series' do just have a certain sound to them. Even my virtually standard 1.8 on throttle bodies sounded amazing.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

It's amazing how many people looking for Elises want to avoid the K-series because they're "unreliable". I've had 4 in various guises, and always liked them. Not a single one has caused me any trouble. VHPD was a bit too toppy for my lazy style ;) they sound awesome though.

On which note, I took the Elise out today for the first time in a while. The weather had not been kind to the back roads :? massive potholes everywhere, I spent most time looking for them instead of where I was going.

--

AMG Owners

Do you like silver cars ?

Yes I do, how did you guess ?

Had my dad collect the Mito yesterday, felt much nicer from the passenger seat with the new front suspension. Unfortunately I won't be able to drive for at least 3 months but now it has been washed and isn't all salty I can leave it parked for a while knowing that it should hopefully be good to go whenever I can get back in it next.

Been thinking about future plans with the Defender. I really like it and don't think I can ever part with it so might as well start moulding it into my bastard love child. I've picked all the parts I want for the winch, winch bumper and steering guard. Just need to organise it with the mechanic as it will need some random air con extension bars and electrical cut offs that I'm not sure about.
After that, come the summer I'm thinking about going to Bowler to get their Bilstein suspension fitted with anti-roll bars, bushes and the stage 2 engine tube (remap, intercooler, ECU). Then finish it off with a set of anthracite sawtooth alloys on decent rubber. And then go travel.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Sundayjumper said...

Well your life sucks ass doesn't it! Still got the Klein?

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

Mito Man said...

Been thinking about future plans with the Defender. I really like it and don't think I can ever part with it so might as well start moulding it into my bastard love child. I've picked all the parts I want for the winch, winch bumper and steering guard. Just need to organise it with the mechanic as it will need some random air con extension bars and electrical cut offs that I'm not sure about.
After that, come the summer I'm thinking about going to Bowler to get their Bilstein suspension fitted with anti-roll bars, bushes and the stage 2 engine tube (remap, intercooler, ECU). Then finish it off with a set of anthracite sawtooth alloys on decent rubber. And then go travel.

I need to try Defender ownership at some point. I've been idly looking at them for years.

Sundayjumper said...

8)

--

Because V8

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular