Forums > Tech > Your Fleet Running Reports

YOUR FLEET RUNNING REPORTS

DeskJockey said...

GraniteV8 said...

A 55 profile tyre is the king on british roads 8)

Dave!

But the 60 profile ones on the Mazda are 5 better!

Don't let me bring out the big gun 75 profiles 8)

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

The Merc is on 195/75x14s. No pothole or kerb issues with those bad boys.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

Old cars rock 8)

I made a point of not going over 70 in the Focus and just pooling along with traffic.

443 miles and 49.8 litres of fuel.

40.53mpg for a 163,000 mile engine is not bad.

Land Rover still going fine, desperate to get it to Flewy though for some work.

Dave!

--

Juat got the BMW back - had the rims painted, and the back bumper filled and painted. Still a little bit of gearbox noise but nothing I can't live with. Took it for a proper blat just then, followed Stoptech's brake-bedding-in procedure (3 x 10 emergency stops from 60 mph) - car's going like a train 8)

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

JL said...

Juat got the BMW back - had the rims painted, and the back bumper filled and painted. Still a little bit of gearbox noise but nothing I can't live with. Took it for a proper blat just then, followed Stoptech's brake-bedding-in procedure (3 x 10 emergency stops from 60 mph) - car's going like a train 8)

*sits back and waits for something expensive to break* ;)

--

Something witty goes here.....

If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.

Not exactly a question of "if", is it!

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

New rear tyre en-route to Chez mik.

This will get me mobile again as the spare is front-sized.

No-one can currently locate a new front however. Spoke to Bridgestone and they have confirmed they have them in stock. Spoke to Camskill who advised they only purchase via wholesalers, and - as none of them have stock - they can't help me. :?

Going to take a bit more digging..... :roll:

The Merc has an ENGINE PROBLEM :shock:

It's well known that these engines really abuse their distributors and rotors. It runs really hot as standard and the small engine bay doesn't help. Also the Distributors are open to the engine bay, not sealed like on my old peugeot, I don't know what is the norm?

It runs fine but when idling and hot, with no load on the engine or part load below 2000rpm it misfires. When reversing into the garage it shunts about as the revs try and stay stable with the misfire.

Now, these rotors and Caps are only 25,000 miles old (roughly) but i've not seen tracking like this before....

Only 2 cylinders affected by tracking, which is a bit strange?

The Rotor has seen better days....

Also there is a large insulator which stops any arcing to the camshaft, i've heard these can solve misfire issues but at £90 each i'd rather try everything else first :lol:

Funny wear and quite premature considering they are all genuine dealer parts.

Any thoughts?

Dave!

Updated February 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM

--

Weird pattern. :?

Does it have two dizzies then? :?

Yep, one per bank and twin coils too.

I'm thinking maybe 2 leads are a bit suspect and this is causing it to work harder?

I've only ever seen relatively even tracking on everything relating to a coil or distributor.

Dave!

--

GraniteV8 said...

Any thoughts?

Looks quite good to me. Last time I had a similar issue I removed the cap and dust fell out from where the distributor used to be!

I'll take the engine and box off you for free. It's obviously knackered and worthless.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

Fugly has a windnoise problem, it's another one of those common Forester issues. Doesn't help they are frameless windows and the fix is to bend the cheater panel to change the angle of the window and give it more contact with the seal.

Another problem is the noisy backbox , I rarely go over 100mph these days but when the exhaust gets hot after some spirited driving it booms something cronic, not exactly sure what it is as I cannot feel a leak anywhere, might take a punt on a 60 quid one off Ebay. Still averaging around 23mpg :?

Nothing to report on the Tiguan apart from far better MPG when it's >5 degrees.

Puma booked in for it’s MOT and service on Saturday. I’m not feeling confident.

£5.50 E46 lock repair kit received, fitted, and working nicely. Minty.

Solved the absence of isofix points in the V70. You can retro-fit them simply enough. Volvo dealer wanted £66.00 for the part. £26 delivered next day from Volvo parts online. Bracket fitted in 5 mins no bother at all. No more belt hassle :)

Alex88 said...

My one is at the local Ford dealer - bought a chunk of bits (top mounts, thermostat+housing, wheel bearings) and mentioned that one wheelbearing is particularly bad, so they offered to fit the bad one for free seeing as I've chucked a few hundred quid at them recently - and the manager still misses the dealership demo car he ran for a while so is sympathetic to my cause :lol:

They're well aware that my Tuna is doing the rest, though - and that I'll be ignoring the Ford 1,000 point check they'll do at the same time.

Got an interesting comment about the cam followers apparently wanting adjusting at 100,000 miles - not something I was aware of, and that I'll be researching to see if it's bollocks or not.

Beany said...

Alex88 said...

My one is at the local Ford dealer - bought a chunk of bits (top mounts, thermostat+housing, wheel bearings) and mentioned that one wheelbearing is particularly bad, so they offered to fit the bad one for free seeing as I've chucked a few hundred quid at them recently - and the manager still misses the dealership demo car he ran for a while so is sympathetic to my cause :lol:

They're well aware that my Tuna is doing the rest, though - and that I'll be ignoring the Ford 1,000 point check they'll do at the same time.

Got an interesting comment about the cam followers apparently wanting adjusting at 100,000 miles - not something I was aware of, and that I'll be researching to see if it's bollocks or not.

I'd never go to my local Ford, they'd find 1000 things wrong with it if they did a 1000 point check!

I already know the clutch and tyres will be mentioned but oh well. I'm not changing the clutch if I can help it, and I'm enjoying the challenge of some slightly too worn tyres (last words)

Despite feeling it's age sometimes, it still feels up for it every time. I wouldn't hesitate on taking it on a few hundred mile trip straight away if I had to.

I've told them that I'll be ignoring the report for the most part :lol:

That's the problem with the Puma, it's an addictive little thing, bags of fun. Even knowing it was grumbling, it's bloody hard not to hammer it through second gear pulling out into the main road :oops: :lol:

It's probably safer with the garage than it is with me :D

Cam followers needing adjustment??

I very much doubt it! 99% of cars built in the last 20 years will have non adjustable hydraulic tappets, which do wear eventually and get noisy and need replacing. Those that have either adjustable or solid shimmed lifters will need checking a lot more regularly than 100,000 miles!

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular