Forums > Geeks corner > Your Fleet Running Reports

YOUR FLEET RUNNING REPORTS

carlos said...

The Banger Mercedes S202 I bought in July last year has been faultless in 6 months and 11k miles, until this week :(

In the space of 3 days I've noticed

1. The manual box is a bit noisier on overrun, my tuna has suggested just living with it as it may go 100k miles or 1 and as there are plenty of 2nd hand boxes for £100 what's the point in attempting to repair.

2. Asr/bas light has come on, but the interweb suggests a simple brakelight switch at £6, fingers crossed :)

3. This morning the foot handbrake pinged when I released it and now won't engage. It applies the brake but won't hold I.e a ratchet mechanism failure. It could be a simple spring or possible the ratchet mechanism itself :( I'll have a looksie Friday when I am changing the brake light switch

Dull Update :D:D

1. Ignoring it, as it pretty much disappears when the box is warm.

2. A £6 Brake light switch for the win.

3. £1.20 for a spring and 2 hours of knuckle scraping, boom i feel like a proper mechanic :lol:

The point being i enjoyed saving a couple of hundred pounds of labour and getting my hands dirty :lol: even though i'm barely competent on the tools.

Get your hands dirty guys 8)

Updated February 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I agree with Carlos. So today I'm going to delve into the computer gubbins of my 545 with a £4.99 Aldi electronics set :D

(No I'm not actually, it's off to my tuner to have the Dension re-enabled).

carlos said...

1. The manual box is a bit noisier on overrun, my tuna has suggested just living with it as it may go 100k miles or 1 and as there are plenty of 2nd hand boxes for £100 what's the point in attempting to repair.

[/quote]

Dull Update :D:D

1. Ignoring it, as it pretty much disappears when the box is warm.

Get your hands dirty guys 8)

How many miles has it done? Have you considered changing the gearbox oil?

--

Speed holes.

Its done 115k miles now and i changed the Gearbox Oil when i bought it, i'm convinced it was noisier as a result. This leads me to suspect that it may have had some of the fancy oil already in it.

I'd be interested to hear anyones experiences with magic* gearbox oil :D

*do i sound cynical:lol:

carlos said...

Its done 115k miles now and i changed the Gearbox Oil when i bought it, i'm convinced it was noisier as a result.

There were constant gearbox discussions on the X5 forum and one regular point of view was that after a certain point changing the oil can do more harm than good as sludge that's accumulated and is happily sitting in the corners of the casing gets dislodged by the fresh oil and starts circulating again.

No idea if it's really true, it's just something that got mentioned a lot.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this | This one's just a posh Beetle

996 booked in for MOT tomorrow. Not expecting any issues.

Checking it over last night I realised I've only done 5,500 miles in the last year despite using it every day from March to Nov and all through Jan. I need to get out on more weekend runs.

New tyres were fitted just after the last MOT, the rears are now down to 5.5mm and the fronts are on 7mm. On that basis I'll get over 13k miles from the rears. 911s normally eat rear tyres. I am such a poofter :oops:

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this | This one's just a posh Beetle

carlos said...

Its done 115k miles now and i changed the Gearbox Oil when i bought it, i'm convinced it was noisier as a result. This leads me to suspect that it may have had some of the fancy oil already in it.

Matty_B put some miracle gearbox oil into his VXR8 (Royal Purple?) and I think it sorted some noise his gearbox was making.

--

Speed holes.

Royal Purple or Castrol Syntrax are both good and have worked wonders for me in the past. My gearboxes too.

--

Out of step with the forum.

MOT getting sorted out later today for the Civic, soon as it's done I'll be putting it up for sale.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

djchocice said...

MOT getting sorted out later today for the Civic, soon as it's done I'll be putting it up for sale.

S2000 time :D

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

Sammyturbo said...

djchocice said...

S2000 time :D

Possibly, but I'm very tempted to buy my dad's 330 sport at the moment. I guess I'll wait and see once it's sold. 8)

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Marv said...

carlos said...

Matty_B put some miracle gearbox oil into his VXR8 (Royal Purple?) and I think it sorted some noise his gearbox was making.

Yep, put Royal Purple Synchromax in mine when I was occasionally having trouble selecting 1st.

Hundreds of gear changes since and I've not once had the issue. Once the gear oil is warm its *signficantly* smoother than it once was - and these boxes aren't known for their smoothness...

--

ClubLupo

My car for sale advert

Please feel free to rip it apart and let me know how to improve it.

more photos, mention the nav at the top of the advert

Also advertise it somewhere where people will actually look.

Thanks.

Photos - need to take some when its clean / not snowing.
Sat nav - doesnt have it so mentioning it would be wrong :lol:

Once the above and any other tips are fixed I will advertise it properly.

Price is ok isnt it?

The tow-bar would put me off.

Perhaps you should point out that it's never been used at all ever.

The tow bar - if only I had the key to take it off.

Quite right, Ive never used the thing not sure what the last guy pulled with it - he was an OBE so doubt it was a gypo wagon.

The price is about there. Good luck dealing with potential buyers..

I assumed it had nav because it says

AG 100% 698 Area Code 2 for DVD
AG 100% 8SA Country-specific Nav

I really don't like it when people list the build sheets, just point out the actual options.

Updated February 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM

These are good comments so can alter the advert accordingly.

I've never advertised on PH - it wont let me log in with my username - is that normal? Will I have to pay - been a member since 2002.

SimonB said...

The tow bar - if only I had the key to take it off.

What brand is the towbar Broccers? I know Bosal will send out a replacement for next to nowt, if you supply the code number of the bar.

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular