Forums > Tech > Your Fleet Running Reports

YOUR FLEET RUNNING REPORTS

I had to take avoiding action to miss a 4x4 which managed to slow down considerably quicker than I could.

Foot off brakes, aim up curb, foot back on brakes, bounce front wheels up curb, end up drivers window a few inches from back of pickup :oops:

Thank god for tyres wider than the wheels and a fairly sensible rideheight :D

Otherwise it's doing a fine job, even the appalling heater is getting better now the cars getting warmed up and used properly.

Headlights also terrible. Had to give in and buy some halfords ultra brilliance ones. On a bogof but still £25 a pair. Standard h4 reflector lights though which Aren't really suitable for hids, and I can't face another journey with the standard candles.

Got some new ones for the rears too. When we picked it up te mrs commented that they weren't very bright, had a look and they've silvered up, and we're also only 5w, where the handbook says 10w. Halfrauds bulb catalogue says 207s which are 5w, looked on the shelf and 243s ( I think ) look the same but are 10w so will give them a try.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Finally got the new rears fitted on the '''8 this morning at my local excellent fitter.

£20 fitting for the pair, which I thought pretty good given the size (and hassle with stiff sidewalled low-profiles). 8)

I'd spoken to them when I was in earlier about the unusual reverse-fitment on these wheels (the tyres come off over the inner rim - same as some Alpina's apparently (as per Mr Jobbo)).

Apologies for the dangerous inside-of-wheel dirtyness.
:shock:

Need not have worried - they fitted some plastic covers on the machine to protect the wheel face / outer-rim and from there on it was business as normal.

Same system as on my coupe too. The tyre place always start a mad hunt for the plastic adapters when I turn up :D

Instructions for refitting M5 ECU:

1) Wait for the right conditions; -1, dark, moderate snowfall
2) Give up trying to find head torch and resort to old bike light held in mouth
3) Lose feeling in fingers
4) Remove light from mouth every 20 seconds to avoid gagging
5) Slot ECU in place and reconnect
6) Gag on bike light and eject it from mouth somewhere deep into the engine bay
7) Realise it hasn't landed on the gravel, it's on the plastic undertray
8) After 30 mins, accept that it can't be retrieved until it's on a ramp at the garage
9) Go indoors leaving a mysteriously illuminated engine bay outside
10) Swear a lot and attempt to gain feeling in fingers

On the plus side, I reconnected the battery the following morning and despite not being used for a couple of months and the cold temps, it started straight away.

Updated January 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

--

Gloucestershire Wedding Photography
Family Portraits Cheltenham

Sounds like exactly my sort of DIY :lol: - out of interest why had you removed the ECU?

For the first time ever the BMW wouldn't start this morning (for reasons other than the battery drain) - it was just firing then dying. I put petrol in in case that was the issue, but it wasn't.

Ah well - it's booked into the workshop tomorrow to have the clutch and brakes done, I guess this just changes the mode of transport required to get it there. I should be picking up the Land Cruiser tonight as well.

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

JL - DME relay ?

Desert Mode Engaged?

Could be, but I think it might be a cam position sensor - the last week or so it's been sounding a bit rough off-throttle, and has been hunting at idle, which are symptoms apparently. We shall see - in fact as it's having a clutch done I might change the exhaust CPSs anyway as you need to do this to get access to them, they're only about 45 quid each. But I'll wait for a diagnosis before throwing parts at it!

John - more like Driveway Mode Engaged :lol:

Updated January 20, 2013 at 9:24 AM

--

Rich B said...

I'm supposed to be driving to Swindon tomorrow for my nieces birthday - cant see my 275 rear tires managing that one.

well, I made it there and back, but had to walk the last few hundred metres as my sister lives at the bottom of a hill that hadn't been gritted. When I left my mrs had to push and it took about 20 minutes to get the 20 metres of hill I did go down. It wasn't even that steep!

--

Cheers

Rich

John said...

Desert Mode Engaged?

DME =

Fuel Pump Relay

;)

Volvo is giving us no grief, the Vredestein winters are performing admirably and apart from a blown bulb nothing needs doing or is costing money until it is due a service in around 1,200 miles.

MPG is (according to the OBC) up to nearly 39.

Next car we get with leather seats will have the heating option though. The seats are a bit too cold for comfort.

--

DeskJockey
---
Driving a Galaxy far, far away

DeskJockey said...

Volvo is giving us no grief, the Vredestein winters are performing admirably and apart from a blown bulb nothing needs doing or is costing money until it is due a service in around 1,200 miles.

Next car we get with leather seats will have the heating option though. The seats are a bit too cold for comfort.

That's pretty good. What engine has it got again?

Marv said...

DeskJockey said...

1.8 Ford-sourced four-pot. I can take no credit for it though. Her indoors uses it for commuting mainly on dual carriageways and motorways and there is almost no sitting still in traffic involved. One trip in London and the MPG drops 0.2-3 easily. Also she is less prone to heavy right footedness. She almost drives it like you would a diesel, rarely getting above 3000 RPM and generally short-shifting.

--

DeskJockey
---
Driving a Galaxy far, far away

I got a new record in our Avensis (now with non-sticking rear breaks) on a run down to Cambridge and back - 62mpg. Not bad for a 10 year old diesel bus...

If you aren't bothered about performance then diesel does, unfortunately, still make a lot of sense.

Using the clio turbo a bit more frequently now. Its suprisingly economical when you dont smash the loud pedal , and bloody fast when you do.

Dyno run on Wednesday evening with luck ..

--

TurboRenault Forum !

DeskJockey said...

Marv said...

DeskJockey said...

1.8 Ford-sourced four-pot. I can take no credit for it though. Her indoors uses it for commuting mainly on dual carriageways and motorways and there is almost no sitting still in traffic involved. One trip in London and the MPG drops 0.2-3 easily. Also she is less prone to heavy right footedness. She almost drives it like you would a diesel, rarely getting above 3000 RPM and generally short-shifting.

My first results are in from my app on the i10. I'm getting around 39mpg, I presume that's not very good for a 1.2 mostly on the motorway?:lol:

--

Now stop trolling me you hat-wearing thundermut.

Land Cruiser is back in my possession, fixed, serviced, painted, polished and looking completely awesome inside and out 8)

--

And how's the Porsche shopping coming along ? :)

Still looking every day, still utterly failing to find one I want.

--

The "Ulter-Sport" rear silencer for the Volvo has arrived.

Looking forward to seeing how it sounds, hopefully not too loud although anything is an improvement on the blowing one fitted at the moment.

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular