Forums > Tech > Your Fleet Running Reports

YOUR FLEET RUNNING REPORTS
Prev | 1..560..111811191120 | Next

Buying a whole new Smart seems a bit excessive, but hey-ho.
:?

mik said...

Buying a whole new Smart seems a bit excessive, but hey-ho.
:?

It is starting to feel like it might be a better option :D

Updated July 23, 2016 at 5:00 PM

--

Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400/Smart ForTwo/Clio 197

NotoriousREV said...

The Giulietta has had a problem for months now with regularly lighting up the CEL, going down onto 3 cylinders and going into limp home mode. I decided a while back it was probably an issue with the MultiAir unit, which is a hydraulics valve control mechanism that Fiat group cars use to vary valve timing and lift, but I've never confirmed it. So before stripping it down, I thought I'd better double check I was correct so I bought a ODB II reader off eBay for £15, which also includes additional modified plugs to allow communication with the different ECUs (eg ABS, Body, Steering etc) and downloaded ECUMultiscan (the Fiat equivalent of Vagcom).

Confirmed:

I also found another bunch of errors:

I won't be fixing those.

According to Alfa, the MultiAir unit can't be repaired (it's £800 fitted for a new one) but a few people have managed to fix theirs. The problem is that the actuator piston is held in by a locking nut that may not have been torqued correctly and then moves around. The steel nut eventually wears the aluminium thread out and then the valve won't open. The answer is Loctite, if the thread isn't too badly damaged.

Good to see Alfa Romeo's build quality hasn't improved...

In the 2 years I had my 156 this was the list of items I replaced (a few not reliability related but most were):

- rear wheel hubs x2
- FNS lower wishbone
- 2 tyres
- rubber exhaust mountings
- fan blower motor
- cambelt
- balancer belt
- aux belt
- variator
- tensioners & balancers x3
- power steering pipes (twice)
- clutch
- MAF sensor
- Lambda sensor
- radiator
- wipers
- gearbox
- springs
- dampers
- gear linkage
- battery

Things that still didn't work (when I sold it for less than I bought it :?

- petrol guage
- blowing exhaust
- sticky throttle body.

:lol:

My dad had three 156s and never had anything other than a windscreen replaced.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

integrale_evo said...

Most probably all reasonably low mileage I would guess. This one has done 90k miles and it never went a week without something breaking.

In any event even if your dad's 156 were new/nearly new I'd still say he did well!

So a month into ownership.....

Love it. 8)

I won't yabber on again about the steering. But it is special. As others highlight - 350bhp from a supercharged 3.5 is nothing to write home about, but it is extremely flexible across the range. I can see how the std chassis could easily handle the Komotec 430bhp upgrade, but there is so much more to the package than raw power that I don't think I'll ever get around to it....

Dry grip is fantastic. There is understeer once you get to silly levels, which can be neutralised with power. I'm still a bit confused at the levels of grip the chassis seems to find in the damp on the MPSS however. I keep grossly underestimating it.

Downsides?
We've had to take mrs mik's car a couple of times when I would always have taken the mine - at the weekend when the boys decided they fancied coming somewhere for dinner for example.
And the attention it gets isn't always wanted - see earlier post wrt alcohol-fuelled appreciators.

Found a rather superb stretch only around 10 miles away that I've played on a few times. Took the camera out today and the rain got progressively heavier, so all I really achieved was getting the car dirty. :?

integrale_evo said...

To be fair to the Giulietta, it's done 70000 miles and hasn't had a service for the last 40000 thanks to MrsREV not giving a fvck :roll:

--

The only c-word I'm allowed to use is cockwomble :(

Wow, really? Not even an oil change?

Have you even checked the oil level?!

--

Much blasphemy ensued, and some menace, which I stopped by dismounting and opening the carriage door, and intimating an intention of mending the road with his immediate remains, if he did not hold his tongue. He held it.

JL said...

Wow, really? Not even an oil change?

Have you even checked the oil level?!

No oil change, no oil check until a few months back. It had a service plan on it. All she needed to do was book it in, but even that was too much like hard work apparently. Now the plan has expired, having never been used and it's due for a cambelt change. I'll give it a good going over. In reality, it's only actually missed 1 service.

--

The only c-word I'm allowed to use is cockwomble :(

True dat but when the service intervals are 20k miles at a time, that's a hell of a lot on the same oil. Anyway it don't really matter do it :lol:

--

Much blasphemy ensued, and some menace, which I stopped by dismounting and opening the carriage door, and intimating an intention of mending the road with his immediate remains, if he did not hold his tongue. He held it.

The wife takes an interest in looking after the cars but I plan and do most things.

40k on the same oil and I'd remove the keys from her and throw her some change for the bus.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

GraniteV8 said...

The wife takes an interest in looking after the cars but I plan and do most things.

40k on the same oil and I'd remove the keys from her and throw her some change for the bus.

Dave!

Try not to judge Dave, I have no doubt your pants and bedding would be a right mess without your missus :lol:

Removed and cleaned the EGR valve on the alhambra today. A right pain to get at as it's at the rear of the engine above the turbo, but it was pretty coked up and the butterfly vacuum Rod was jamming halfway. Now its clean, the mid boost flat spot has gone, so was worth the effort.

Will chuck some Forte injector cleaner and turbo cleaner through and give it a good service too. Poor old bus has been neglected for a while but takes everything in its stride. Genuinely can't fault it during the last 9 years of ownership.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Any tips on how to remove an EGR that is stuck fast?

I use tolly.

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular