Forums > Geeks corner > Your Fleet Running Reports

YOUR FLEET RUNNING REPORTS
Prev | 1..451..899900901 | Next

In yet more exciting e36 news, I seem to have somehow done what everyone said was impossible and got my laptop to talk to the car through a usb - com adapter obd2 cable and obd-20pin bmw connector, as the e36 isn't proper odb2.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

integrale_evo said...

In yet more exciting e36 news, I seem to have somehow done what everyone said was impossible and got my laptop to talk to the car through a usb - com adapter obd2 cable and obd-20pin bmw connector, as the e36 isn't proper odb2.

What software are you using harry?

inpa / ediabas at the moment, I don't think there's much you can do on the older cars anyway, I just wanted to view and clear fault codes.

I bought an adapter off ebay years ago, but couldn't ever get the software to work, but the recent misfire issue meant I decided to try again.

Got it talking to the car the first time this afternoon and read and cleared the codes, and looked at some live data, it seems to be working ok, but only looked at the engine stuff so far, not into the other modules.

The only odd one is a coolant temperature sensor error, it's occurred lots of times and says state implausible / value implausible, yet the real time data shows values around where you'd expect, and the temperatures against other codes seemed ok. I can only imagine there's an intermittent error somewhere there, maybe a broken wire or sensor breaking down? I'll have to give it another go from stone cold and watch it as it warms up.

Unfortunately my ancient laptop only lasts about 20mins on battery :lol:

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Interesting.

I'd be interested in seeing what the software is like and how it works. There are some great 'third party' )for want of a better phrase) systems out there now.

I've been a bit spoiled with the Bosch KTS 670 I use, but as with any scanner/reader they aren't infallible and won't touch everything. I bought the old school Toyota adapter so I could then interrogate the Ae86/Ae111/Celica when I fancied8)

I also have access to Atris Technik which is a german system but it not only has the ability to scan via a laptop, but has the most incredible knowledge bank of data that even lists torque settings for the internals of gearboxes with exploded diagrams of all the parts.:shock:

integrale_evo said...

Remove the pug cover, remove the coil packs and sure enough, plug number 6 is sitting in a couple of inches of water :oops:

Found this on the VX when I pulled the coil pack off once, God knows how long it had been underwater for...

:shock:

--

Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400/WRX Wagon

I finally moved the VFR out from under a cover in the garden to the shelter of the garage today. The rear brake caliper had seized on making it almost impossible to move, but once the mounting bolts were removed a lump of wood and a big friendly hammer saw the caliper and disk parting company. The plan is to treat it to a bit of an overhaul over winter after a couple of years deteriating as it lay unused. As well as an oil and filter it'll get new plugs and a new set of carb rubbers, the idle was very high last time it was running so one or more of them has probably split. Whilst the carbs are off I'll re-jet it to take account of the full Technical Sports exhaust system that some kind soul in Japan fitted to it 8) Might also fit a few swanky bits like some billet rearsets and new brake/clutch levers.

The CRF hasn't been out in a while and in protest has decided to start puking out oil past one of the fork seals, so I'll need to do that too.

The scooter is running ok, rode it around the M25 to Heathrow the other day which it managed better than expected and returned 65mpg, but wouldn't be my first choice of bike if I had to do that regularly. Still fighting the urge to get a Honda MSX125 instead...

The WRX is going well and I can confirm it is quicker off the lights than a Honda Jazz. Thinking of buying a new headunit for it as there doesn't seem to be a way of connecting the icock to the standard unit apart from using one of those things that use the tape deck. I keep looking at wheels for it but am trying to resist.

--

Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400/WRX Wagon

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular