Forums > Geeks corner > Your Fleet Running Reports

YOUR FLEET RUNNING REPORTS
Prev | 1..437..872873874 | Next

speedingfinez said...

Trouble in 25 year old French car land. The gearbox isn't getting any quieter and the (still minor) oil leak may be the rear main seal, but has proved impossible to trace so far. So, should I:

- Find a new gearbox before it gets any worse
- Soldier on til it explodes then replace it.

I have told you about my Superstrada years ago which had a getting-ever-noisier gearbox bearing... Which started to collapse... And enough swarf collected under the 1st gear bush that it effectively selected 1st.... Whilst I was already in 5th.... Doing 70.

Just sayin like.

Bit the bullet last night and ordered a new inlet manifold for the RS4 - they're notorious for having inlet runner flap errors, which the ECU does not take lightly; it pulls timing, limits the revs and worst of all illuminates a warning light. You can drive around it to an extent by restarting the car and giving it a bootful but it got to the point where it was happening all the time, and although it might not seem a good use of cash (GBP 1k shipped) things need to work properly. So there it is.

Taking it for a service at Audi next week where they can replace this - hopefully that'll be the only extra works required. It's been great in the last 20k kms apart from the above, although a set of tyres will be on the cards soon - Pilot Super Sports FTW.

The Land Cruiser also needs a service (some 250k kms on it now, 80k when I bought it back in 2006) - it's got a leaky a/c pipe and needs a propshaft bearing but again that should be about it. Oil pressure is a tiny bit low but I'll replace the sender first before changing anything mechanical - been down that road before.

Updated August 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM

JL said...

Taking it for a service at Audi next week where they can replace this - hopefully that'll be the only extra works required. It's been great in the last 20k kms apart from the above, although a set of tyres will be on the cards soon - Pilot Super Sports FTW.

I'll be fitting some Super Sports to the CSL quite soon, as this happened yesterday:

Though Mik tells me they're just the wear markers, which tell you the tyres need replacing in the next 2000 miles :lol:

JL said...

Bit the bullet last night and ordered a new inlet manifold for the RS4 -

Unrelated, but have you considered having having the head decoked whilst you're at it?

Very much so, but it's had the inlet off it before and apparently it doesn't need doing. I'll ask them again this time around just to make sure.

Good stuff, don't forget to tell them to hoover out the sand.

N said...

Good stuff, don't forget to tell them to hoover out the sand.

Is it the sand that fooks it up ?

No it's a common problem, mainly through the spindles wearing that the flaps are attached to. It's an issue with all direct-injection cars from what I can make out - they run dry due to the lack of fuel wash that keeps a normal manifold "moist". This also explains the coking-up.

mik said...

speedingfinez said...

Trouble in 25 year old French car land. The gearbox isn't getting any quieter and the (still minor) oil leak may be the rear main seal, but has proved impossible to trace so far. So, should I:

- Find a new gearbox before it gets any worse
- Soldier on til it explodes then replace it.

I have told you about my Superstrada years ago which had a getting-ever-noisier gearbox bearing... Which started to collapse... And enough swarf collected under the 1st gear bush that it effectively selected 1st.... Whilst I was already in 5th.... Doing 70.

Just sayin like.

Thanks for the positive vibez Mik ;)

:P

Did the front brakes on the 'velle, easy job, also discovered a split in the outer cv boot on the driver's side. So that's another job on the list...

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular