Forums > Geeks corner > Your Fleet Running Reports

YOUR FLEET RUNNING REPORTS
Previous | 123..422..841842843 | Next

BMW - well past 150,000 miles now and basically running like a dream ( touch wood :? ) although the exhaust must be getting towards its last legs soon

Sierra - Just about half the miles above and needs a change of filters, plugs etc before the good weather arrives and I start using it more

--

Roadgoing Group A racecar

Dan Webster "Your car actually sounded quite good from up there"

Golf has been on its Carlos Fandango wheels for a couple of weeks now - I'm still really impressed with the new Eagle F1s. Stunning amount of grip in the wet and dry - it's pretty hard to get the tyres to squirm in the corners and I've been having trouble getting the ABS to kick in :P
Front brake discs will need replacing sooner rather than later, as they're pretty knackered now after nearly 80,000 miles. I've got a feeling I'm gonna replace all the discs and pads all around, just because I might as well....

Haven't driven the 968 for a few weeks now, haven't had the chance to get the ABS checked out either, since it stopped working. Still, that can wait.

How many miles have you done in the 328 since getting it Mike? Are you gonna run it into the ground, or have you got a feeling you're going to replace it at some point?

--

evo forums resident Porsche fanboy

Marv968 said...

Golf has been on its Carlos Fandango wheels for a couple of weeks now - I'm still really impressed with the new Eagle F1s. Stunning amount of grip in the wet and dry - it's pretty hard to get the tyres to squirm in the corners and I've been having trouble getting the ABS to kick in :P

[/quote]

These are the new Asymmetric ones I take it? I'd like a set of those on my 17" wheels for the BM but i ought to wear out the Contis first

[quote="Marv968"]
How many miles have you done in the 328 since getting it Mike? Are you gonna run it into the ground, or have you got a feeling you're going to replace it at some point?

What with the last few weeks it's gone up to over 20k Marv - bear in mind the bottom end of the engine has only done half the car mileage as it was one of the last Nicasil blocks ( subsequently replaced with a steel-liner job by BMW ). I refreshed the suspension just after I got it.
I'd like something else ( like most car enthusiasts I get itchy feet after a couple of years ) but to be honest I'm not what else ( other than an E46 330i which we've had before and isn't significantly faster or a 4-door E36 M3 which is ) I'd get that does most things quite well - 30mpg, sunroof, aircon, cheap for bits and easy to fix. Don't need a car bigger than a 3-series as I've only got 2 boys.
A 335i 4-dr would be nice though.
I suspect I'll run it into the ground and see what happens with the govt attitude to old cars :)

--

Duplicated from the other thread:

C30 did us proud last weekend, braved the bank holiday traffic to Edinburgh and back. Jane commented that I've driven it more miles, and filled it with petrol more times, than she has... Not as comfy as the BMW for her as passenger, apparently, and the ride was noticeably tauter, but for the driver it was fine. Quick enough too, even in 6th (30mpg/1000rpm). Economy was poor on the way up (sub-25mpg) and better on the way back (30mpg) - the fuel computer is accurate to the decimal place, too, which is amazing. The poor economy on the way up was due to the 30-40mph headwind, I think! Some pics of it on the beach at Holy Island if you click my sig.

The 540 seems to be quicker than ever, and is returning about 19mpg from each tank currently, thus indicating it's probably my right foot being heavier. Very inclined to flash its ESP light at me on the greasy roads (even in 3rd :oops: ) too. After the brief flirtation with that Alpina and am even briefer idea of changing to a 535d MSport Touring (written off after realising the car I liked had no roof rails, honestly!) I can't think why I'd change it. It's a grower; I thought it was boring when I bought it but I love it now. It's like a cuddly bear of a car. I particularly like the alloys and paint colour, actually - always makes me look back at it when I've parked up.

Which one to bring to the Elan Valley, though? ;)

simonjobson said...

The 540 seems to be quicker than ever, and is returning about 19mpg from each tank currently, thus indicating it's probably my right foot being heavier. It's a grower; I thought it was boring when I bought it but I love it now. It's like a cuddly bear of a car. I particularly like the alloys and paint colour, actually - always makes me look back at it when I've parked up.

Which one to bring to the Elan Valley, though? ;)

Derin, the BMW restorer guy who lives up the road from here has one as well at the moment.

I'm sure whichever you bring though, C30 or 540, you'll enjoy the roads up there 8)

--

I had a natter to Derin about his - very similar spec to mine, though his has sat-nav/tv and double glazing. Same year, same sport option pack.

simonjobson said...

I had a natter to Derin about his - very similar spec to mine, though his has sat-nav/tv and double glazing. Same year, same sport option pack.

I bet his is ridiculously low-mileage for its age though :)

--

105k, apparently - not that much lower than my 135k-miler. But this is his daily driver, and it is one-owner.

ZXR750 update

Need to repair the left hand fairing better, will do it when I remove the fairing when I give it a service.

Chain needs oiling, oil and filter change, air filters, balance the carbs, rebuild the forks at some point too, will get someone to do the forks though so they are set up for my weight. Also I want standard pads on the front, the current ones are carbon sintered pads or something, not much power till hot and then far too much power which is hard to modulate.

I did notice this though......

Not bad considering i've only done 600 miles of riding a bike :D

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

So you've worn out the middle of the tyre? Come back when you wear the sidewalls first :P

simonjobson said...

So you've worn out the middle of the tyre? Come back when you wear the sidewalls first :P

It's the small chicken strips I was making a point of, which i'm quite chuffed with considering i'm not going out to try and lean as much as I can :P

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

As the weather was so good this afternoon, I thought I'd roll the Sierra out its nest and give it a run round - it's been grotty weather for the last week so I guessed I had better make the most of the sun.
Last time I used it I got the odd whiff of petrol on the over-run but couldn't see/smell where it was coming from at standstill.

As I started it up today, I could see the fabric braided pipe under the fpr was damp so off it came.....

.....and on with some new pipe and clips

Checked all the others over but they seemed OK, probably not subject to quite the same heat extremes as that one. Obviously a combination of that and the HIGH PRESSURE from my Bosch 044 pump have taken their toll. Will do the others in the next couple of weeks as contingency anyway

So about 45 minutes later I was up and running again

Took it for a good blast round some local roads and a bit of bypass and it seems to all be in good order. No fuel whiffs or leaks now - a good time had by all 8)

--

Nice work Mike 8)

Did some good work on the VHPD throttle bodies yesterday, while mine has the bespoke TB's of the later engines rather than the early bodge up of a pair of KV6 TB's, they are not particularly well finished having a horrible ridge in the casting near to the head.

A couple of hours with the drill later and they are beautifully smooth. Stripped the butterflies out for modification too - with the head work i'm having done throttle response should be improved and hopefully a few extra horses too. Target is still 200hp.

--

Done.

danwebster said...

Nice work Mike 8)

Bit of a non-event really Dan on the home mechanics front......but I was glad I found out what it was in the garage with a cold engine :?

200 bhp is going to be brilliant in yours - what was it in Wales last time, 155-160bhp? Look forward to seeing it in action when it's done!

--

Yes about that Mike, I've just been emailed by Dave Andrews suggesting I do a cam change while i'm at it so I might just be looking at closer to 220 at this rate....

--

Done.

danwebster said...

Yes about that Mike, I've just been emailed by Dave Andrews suggesting I do a cam change while i'm at it so I might just be looking at closer to 220 at this rate....

Good stuff, we'll have to try some d/c roll-ons when it's done to assess performance if you like......

--

That should be fun :lol:

I might just be able to keep up with you after the swap 8)

--

Done.

I still need to get The Rat down to my local tyre and alignment emporium.

Sometimes I get the rumble and sometimes I don't. Got a mate to look round the tyres with me for a fresh pair of eyes, and he reckons i've had the passenger side rear on its sidewall - most of the tags are still on the rears, but there's a bald section around part of that wheel....

Need to get some proper tread checkers. Visual inspection says the treads look OK, but it's kinda hard on GSD3's.

danwebster said...

That should be fun :lol:

I might just be able to keep up with you after the swap 8)

Don't think you were far off last time - I think it was only the big numbers on the way up past Llyn Celyn I remember you dropping back....and to be fair a turbo car always scores there.
I should imagine yours will launch much better plus you've got the handling :) - short of a Noble or Turbo Elise there won't be much keeping up with 220bhp in 780ish kg :P

--

720kg's according to the book :D i'd be happy with 750...perhaps i'll get it weighed one day.

I'll also be running a close ratio box with the all important LSD when its in, I recall from an EVO test quite a while back that the CR box was worth a second to 100 in an otherwise unchanged elise.

--

Done.

Previous | 123..422..841842843 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular