Forums > Any other business > Headphones, again (over-ear, sweat-tolerant)

HEADPHONES, AGAIN (OVER-EAR, SWEAT-TOLERANT)
Previous | 123 | Next

I fancy some over-ear headphones for indoor bike exercising (Zwift etc). Bluetooth and something that can cope with my ridiculously sweaty bonce. £50 or less, ideally. Any top recommendations?

Nope.

But Zwift is surprisingly good fun isn't it? Been using it on and off while trying to shake a niggling knee injury.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

Ascender said...

Nope.

But Zwift is surprisingly good fun isn't it? Been using it on and off while trying to shake a niggling knee injury.

ah, I've been looking at turbo trainers as I've been failing to do any exercise apart from walking/running to/from train stations on my commute. Zwift looks interesting.

Been looking at this one but have no idea about them.

--

aRSe

Ideally you want a "smart" trainer, that can change resistance as the game goes up hills etc. They start at about £200, but the sweet spot (IMHO) is around £350. We bought an Elite Rampa last week for £340 from CRC. Kickr snap is another good alternative, but runs closer to £500.

The really lovely kit (quieter and more accurate) is known as direct-drive, where you remove your rear wheel and connect the bike's drivetrain directly to the trainer. They start a about £600 though.

In an ideal world you want a Tacx Neo - £999.

You don't want the £60 one you linked, sorry. Not for Zwift anyway.

_ said...

Ideally you want a "smart" trainer, that can change resistance as the game goes up hills etc. They start at about £200, but the sweet spot (IMHO) is around £350. We bought an Elite Rampa last week for £340 from CRC. Kickr snap is another good alternative, but runs closer to £500.

The really lovely kit (quieter and more accurate) is known as direct-drive, where you remove your rear wheel and connect the bike's drivetrain directly to the trainer. They start a about £600 though.

In an ideal world you want a Tacx Neo - £999.

You don't want the £60 one you linked, sorry. Not for Zwift anyway.

:D evonomics there.

--

aRSe

Or just cycle up some hills? 8)

How many adapters do you plan to use? Two, or just the one?

Gavin: Or just cycle up some hills? 8)

I don't think it needs to be an either/or thing. I like to do both. That being said, I only first tried Zwift 5 days ago, I'll probably be done with it in a couple of weeks :)

Mik: How many adapters do you plan to use? Two, or just the one?

I assume this is a hilarious joke that has gone over my head?

_ said...

Yes. It is the jolliest jape of teh year thus far.

mik said...

_ said...

Yes. It is the jolliest jape of teh year thus far.

It is a DEEPLY IMPRESSIVE jape.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

Elite Rampa has broken, sending back to CRC for replacement. 10 days old. The Italians' QC isn't the best, it'd seem!

Aanyone going to recommend me some headphones then?

You could google "best running headphones" and you'll get the latest list of the best sweatproof ones in every format and shape.

Here's TechRadar's most recent one

I'll be honest, the most resilient and reliable headphones I've found for running in many years of trying are a pair of JVC Air Cushion in-ear ones. They were about £15 and survived for about 6 years of running, all year round including a few hundred mile races in the U.K. and the Sahara. Absolutely bomb proof and comfortable.

Some of those headband ones are really uncomfortable as they use hard plastic to make the more durable. Powerbeats let moisture in and slowly/quickly will die. There's lots trying to be very clever now with audible coaching tips, heart rate stats etc.

For the garage I ended up buying a Bluetooth Anker speaker instead which I can pair to my phone, laptop or iPad depending on what I want to watch or listen to.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

Ascender said...

You could google "best running headphones" and you'll get the latest list of the best sweatproof ones in every format and shape.

Seb is one of those people that doesn't seem allowed access to Google. I always thought anyone could but recently I've come to realise that just can't be the case.

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

I'm thinking of some Sony 770BNs for gym use.

They're quite chunky and they've been around for a while (newer models have better codecs, battery etc)

But the 770s can be had new for £85.

Other over ear BT headphones now seem to cost an absolute fortune. Certainly way more than I'd want to pay...

JL said...

Ascender said...

Seb is one of those people that doesn't seem allowed access to Google. I always thought anyone could but recently I've come to realise that just can't be the case.

The sentiment in these posts goes for most threads on the forum, nae, most forums. Certainly not limited to myself. But yes, I like personal recommendations, even if it's from a group of people I've never met :)

Updated January 22, 2018 at 5:19 PM

PugRallye2 said...

I'm thinking of some Sony 770BNs for gym use.

They're quite chunky and they've been around for a while (newer models have better codecs, battery etc)

But the 770s can be had new for £85.

Other over ear BT headphones now seem to cost an absolute fortune. Certainly way more than I'd want to pay...

I took the plunge and ordered some of these (arrived today).

Initial thoughts are they're smaller and lighter than I thought they'd be.

Bass heavy (IMO) although that, combined with noise reduction might result in me being able to listen at a lower than expected volume, which might turn out to be a good thing.

And the sound of headphones can change dramatically over the first n hours as they loosen up.

I'll be able to try them at the gym tomorrow...

I ended up buying some soundpeat q12s instead. Yes, they gradually fall out of my ears after I get proper sweaty, grr.

_ said...

I ended up buying some soundpeat q12s instead. Yes, they gradually fall out of my ears after I get proper sweaty, grr.

...which I think are now dead after one day...

Amazon Link

I bought some of these last week from the Amazon folks for £19.54.

They pretty good, for the money, very plasticy construction. Sound is neutral so good for what I want them for. I like the reversible jacks and stuff. I got them because I wanted a comfortable over headphone that was cheap enough not to care too much about - c0cking aroung with synths can produce some bad noises, so better to use cheaper gear.

I had an issue with one of the wires (there are 2) that was a bit prone to crackling if you move. I'm sure I can fix it with a bit of heat shrink tubing or whatever.

Still made complaint to Amazon and told them I want to keep the headphones.

£5 voucher!

Result.

:lol:

--

https://www.youtube.com/user/ilmostro749

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular