Forums > Any other business > Help. Need new modem router

HELP. NEED NEW MODEM ROUTER
Previous | 1 | Next

Talk talk one has died

Any suggestions for replacement for my fibre connection of around 30Mb?

Needs big wireless range as it lives in the ex-loft.

Anything better than Tp link VR900 v2 for the money?

Updated January 13, 2018 at 2:34 PM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GT-R/ Audi S4

Draytek are the best

You keep your ex in the loft ? Normally it's under the patio

Updated January 13, 2018 at 3:58 PM

exiges said...

Draytek are the best

You keep your ex in the loft ? Normally it's under the patio

Easier access to lightning during storms.

Turns out the one I suggested doesn't support mu-mimo which my LG V30 will, so I'll probably get the 2800 version instead

Updated January 13, 2018 at 7:11 PM

--

I use a netgear D7000 VDSL decent bit of kit.

--

Strong Broo Racing

Clicky

Some interesting data on here.

--

“Agree. F430 Scud was the best automated manual ever created for me.” Harry Metcalfe, Dec ‘17.

IanF said...

Clicky

Some interesting data on here.

Shame it only compares them to everyone else's shitty freebie routers. I'd be interested to see how some decent offerings from netgear/draytek/asus etc compared.

I bought a netgear R8500 for a lot of dosh, it's utter shite with terrible range and constantly disconnects when streaming vids, spent 6months with netgear support trying to solve it

BT home hub pisses on it from a great height giving me a stable 70mb at the furthest points of my house, it works so well I renewed my contract with BT, kinda annoying as I don't like BT as a company.

Updated January 14, 2018 at 11:30 AM

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

Mesh

Can someone buy the Google one and let me know if it's as good as they say? K thx bye

--

“Agree. F430 Scud was the best automated manual ever created for me.” Harry Metcalfe, Dec ‘17.

Draytek do some nice stuff but to say it's the 'best' is a little simplification. Check here under 'tools' then 'charts' to compare speed and range of a number of different devices. I settled on Asus kit for me, my brother and my father. For me I have an AC-68U in Wifi only mode (have a custom built firewall and another vDSL modem). My brother is using the same device as a router/Wifi and my Dad is using an AC-56 as his modem/router/wifi. YMMV but the interface is very slick and updates are good.

--

Defacing the evo forum since 2000

IanF said...

Mesh

Can someone buy the Google one and let me know if it's as good as they say? K thx bye

Offers on google mesh just now. Caught my eye as Home hub + repeater is crap in our town house. No reception in bath, for example.

--

"It's like he's immortal but sh1t" - @NotoriousRev
"You look like a Jelly Baby from down the back of the sofa"

_Who_ said...

Draytek do some nice stuff but to say it's the 'best' is a little simplification. Check here under 'tools' then 'charts' to compare speed and range of a number of different devices. I settled on Asus kit for me, my brother and my father. For me I have an AC-68U in Wifi only mode (have a custom built firewall and another vDSL modem). My brother is using the same device as a router/Wifi and my Dad is using an AC-56 as his modem/router/wifi. YMMV but the interface is very slick and updates are good.

I had problems with the Asus router I had. There was a firmware bug the kept rebooting the router. Swapped it out for a different router to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue but it kept doing it. That's how I ended up with the netgear. The asus UI was a bit better than the netgear from a usage POV but the netgear has been rock solid.

--

Strong Broo Racing

IanF said...

Mesh

That and the other mesh options are just routers. You need the modem as well, so they are pretty expensive.

Went for the TP Link 2800.

Updated January 15, 2018 at 8:57 AM

--

_Who_ said...

Check here under 'tools' then 'charts' to compare speed and range of a number of different devices.

That's an interesting site, thanks.

To the network geeks: anyone here successfully using OpenVPN client on a DD-WRT flashed router and getting a decent throughput? I'm only getting 10% of my line speed, which seems a lot sh1t.

--

Tim

Skoda Octavia vRS. Ducati 748 Biposto. BMW R1200RT SE. SERV Volunteer.

Mark BT52 said...

IanF said...

Mesh

That and the other mesh options are just routers. You need the modem as well, so they are pretty expensive.

Went for the TP Link 2800.

8)

It looks like a good purchase. Can you let me know if you have any connection issues with PS4/X1?

I had to revert back to my TG582 from my N700 because the PS4 had a very poor WiFi connection to it (X1 seemed fine :? )

Updated January 16, 2018 at 11:12 AM

--

_Tim_ said...

_Who_ said...

Check here under 'tools' then 'charts' to compare speed and range of a number of different devices.

That's an interesting site, thanks.

To the network geeks: anyone here successfully using OpenVPN client on a DD-WRT flashed router and getting a decent throughput? I'm only getting 10% of my line speed, which seems a lot sh1t.

Can you look at what the CPU is doing at that time, load-wise? Unless there's a dedicated encryption offload I suspect the CPU is struggling. Not played with DD-WRT other than for fun a few years ago. I use pfSense on an Atom and can max my line using both IPSec and OpenVPN's to home from the office.

--

Defacing the evo forum since 2000

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular