Forums > Any other business > Tradespeople: A short rant

TRADESPEOPLE: A SHORT RANT
Prev | 1234 | Next

Marv said...

NotoriousREV said...

Why do tradespeople get away with being so flaky and generally shite?

I decided that to fit my new CCTV system, I wanted someone to do it properly (i.e. I looked at the job and decided it looked hard), so I got a few recommendations and found a guy who seemed happy to do it.

He came and took a look, gave us a price and we agreed a date to come and do the work (today).

After 10 minutes, he comes and says "sorry, I can't do it, I can't fit in the crawl space. Bye".

FFS. We don't seem to be able to find good people ever, even when we get recommendations. I hope my new front door fitting goes better in a couple of weeks.

Maybe they subsequently hear that you're an aggressive local, with a methamphetamine problem?

I only swear at tourists.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

We've got an excellent plasterer, and I seem to have finally found a decent kitchen/bathroom guy. Our electrician quit the hands-on work and is now a college lecturer.

I've had some really crap work in the past. For some reason plumbers have been the worst, in terms of what they do vs. how much they think they're worth.

Updated December 5, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Some of you may recall my issues with the local glazers last winter. One of them now has a nice 1star Google rating thanks to his total lack of effort and honesty. Again, he came out, quoted and was due to return to start the job. First time no show, chased him and eventually got through to his mobile, second time no show. Local window company ended up doing the job perfectly well, obviously recognising that a small job might lead to a bigger job later on. Meanwhile I slag the first guy off to anyone that'll listen.

NotoriousREV said...

I only swear at tourists.

Tourette's at Tourists?

--

Wales Meet

Dan Webster "Your car actually sounded quite good from up there"

We had a plumber do a few days' work on relocating & replacing our boiler, then he went AWOL. Finally got hold of him a couple of days later and he just said he wouldn't be finishing the job ! He was a subbie to our main contractor, so not my problem to sort it out, but seriously. WTF ?

The electrician we had was good, as were the window people.

The kitchen fitters were terrible, I was bored the other day and the beer fridge hadn't worked since they fitted it. I thought it was the wrong fridge for the gap (we owned it before) but no, they put in a half inch thick bead of silicon on both sides which effectively gave the air about 25% of the available space to work in. So that's now fixed.

The worktop they ruined is coming out in the new year as I actually found a Chippy who can do a good joint and deserves the name. Unlike The Ikea assembly failures we had before.
I tried him out on a very heavy oak door and he did a lovely job of it.

The floor was supposed to be finished yesterday, but the guy came round and snapped the piece of trim he came to fit. I've still not paid the, yet they don't seem too fussed :roll:

The kitchen supplier STILL owes us a kidney shelf pull out cupboard thing. A cupboard won't open properly due to them making a mistake in the plan yet they have been paid and their after sales is awful.
We asked for a cupboard under the stairs which the kitchen designer couldn't design without mm perfect measurements, despite their being fixed sizes they use for the cupboards. 20 minutes with an 18 year old IKEA kitchen lady had a good design which works perfectly.
Also he didn't seem fussed about a breakfast bar bit we wanted so again IKEA to the rescue.

Also the painter funked up and used all our touch up paint as an undercoat and only half using the tub he asked us to get him specifically for the job. Considering the entire downstairs is one colour that puts us in a bad position.

Tradespeople have a bad image for a very good reason and finding a good person is worth its weight in gold. You should only be able to call yourself a DIY Jobber until you have proven skills, it will stop the very talented and those who take pride in their work being lumped in with the pretenders.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

JL said...

Mito Man said...

When you start seeing the title of this tread as 'Transpeople' you know you need more caffeine...

Same here :lol:

JL Mito agreement :o

I'd also extend the thread to include doctors, dentists, vets, etc as well.

I've found a good plasterer, and plumber. Struggling for a good electrician. Had one recommended who did good work, but is far too difficult to get to commit to time.

Neighbour is a semi-retired electrician that all our other neighbours use, so might let him have a go next time.

--

DeskJockey
---
Driving a Galaxy far, far away

Another time I used a plumber who was recommended via a forum (not this one). I gave him some stuff to do and when the bill came I paid it without question, because he had been recommended.

Speaking to my tenant at a later date, it transpired the plumber had only been on site for about 45 mins. For which he'd charged me £160 labour + £27 for a part I could have got in Screwfix for £2-something; about 1000% markup.

It turned out the recommendation was because it was his mate, not because he had ever done any plumbing work for him :roll:

Oh, forgot to add - we have a good landscaping guy too.

Updated December 5, 2017 at 1:57 PM

Marv said...

NotoriousREV said...

I decided that to fit my new CCTV system, I wanted someone to do it properly (i.e. I looked at the job and decided it looked hard), so I got a few recommendations and found a guy who seemed happy to do it.

He came and took a look, gave us a price and we agreed a date to come and do the work (today).

After 10 minutes, he comes and says "sorry, I can't do it, I can't fit in the crawl space. Bye".

FFS. We don't seem to be able to find good people ever, even when we get recommendations. I hope my new front door fitting goes better in a couple of weeks.

Maybe they subsequently hear that you're an aggressive local, with a methamphetamine problem?

What's the story behind that (apologies if I missed it elsewhere)?

Updated December 5, 2017 at 2:02 PM

Sundayjumper said...

Another time I used a plumber who was recommended via a forum (not this one). I gave him some stuff to do and when the bill came I paid it without question, because he had been recommended.

Speaking to my tenant at a later date, it transpired the plumber had only been on site for about 45 mins. For which he'd charged me £160 labour + £27 for a part I could have got in Screwfix for £2-something; about 1000% markup.

It turned out the recommendation was because it was his mate, not because he had ever done any plumbing work for him :roll:

Whilst that's annoying, you got the outcome you wanted and paid a price that you thought was reasonable. The fact he did it quickly and with a part that he marked up I could live with, it's business.

I'd generally pay a 1000% mark up to get the desired outcome V the load of shite service I have often received.

We've had no heating since August (when we first turned it on to test it). I've had 4 plumbers around over that interveeing paeriod and they've essentially messed me about, misdiagnosed the problem and tried to rip me off. Guy 4 is here today alledgedly installing a boiler yet so far, despite arriving at 8AM and turning the power and water off is still waiting for the actual boiler to be delivered...

action jack84 said...

ste said...

Sundayjumper said...

If that doesnt work work out I have a decent plumber .

Whilst that's annoying, you got the outcome you wanted and paid a price that you thought was reasonable. The fact he did it quickly and with a part that he marked up I could live with, it's business.

I'd generally pay a 1000% mark up to get the desired outcome V the load of shite service I have often received.

We've had no heating since August (when we first turned it on to test it). I've had 4 plumbers around over that interveeing paeriod and they've essentially messed me about, misdiagnosed the problem and tried to rip me off. Guy 4 is here today alledgedly installing a boiler yet so far, despite arriving at 8AM and turning the power and water off is still waiting for the actual boiler to be delivered...

Good point. ;)

ste said...

That's a shitter. I didn't test our boiler for a couple of months after moving in, and the central heating pump needed some slight attention (£85 call out fee, IIRC, from a lovely oil boiler expert who basically just tapped it with a screwdriver whereupon it started turning).

It's still got some airlocks and the boiler cycles regularly rather than staying on, but it keeps the house warm so I'm not getting anyone in to fiddle while it works. I am tempted to start re-wiring the whole boiler control system though, because it shouldn't have been firing last night as I was going to sleep, 45 mins after every stat and the hot water was supposedly off :lol:

--

Wow was I impressed

nuttinnew said...

Marv said...

NotoriousREV said...

What's the story behind that (apologies if I missed it elsewhere)?

Marv was looking for somewhere to stay in NZ and came across this review:

Oh, how we laughed. The cvnt.

--

Discoc*nts

We've been fairly lucky so far. When enquiring with a neighbour about who did their drive (it's hoggin and looks nice) the guy's wife shouted that if we ever needed anyone to do a bathroom they knew some great guys.

We've since used the 2 brothers they recommended for main bathroom, en-suite, spare bedroom renovation, building a false chimney breast in the living room and umpteen other jobs. They're just good all round tradesmen that take pride in their work and always turn up on time. Lots of wrongs have been put right so far by them.

Need a roofer now though and everytime I look them up and cross check histories with Companies House, so many look really dodgy.

Updated December 5, 2017 at 3:37 PM

Swervin_Mervin said...

We've been fairly lucky so far. When enquiring with a neighbour about who did their drive (it's hoggin and looks nice) the guy's wife shouted that if we ever needed anyone to do a bathroom they knew some great guys.

We've since used the 2 brothers they recommended for main bathroom, en-suite, spare bedroom renovation, building a false chimney breast in the living room and umpteen other jobs. They're just good all round tradesmen that take pride in their work and always turn up on time. Lots of wrongs have been put right so far by them.

Need a roofer now though and everytime I look them up and cross check histories with Companies House, so many look really dodgy.

I know some roofers but I'm not sure they'd come out as far as you. But, as someone mentioned earlier, they're mates of mine but I've never actually seen there work personally despite them being mates for 25-odd years :lol:

--

Discoc*nts

NotoriousREV said...

Marv was looking for somewhere to stay in NZ and came across this review:

Oh, how we laughed. The cvnt.

Arf :P

NotoriousREV said...

Swervin_Mervin said...

I know some roofers but I'm not sure they'd come out as far as you. But, as someone mentioned earlier, they're mates of mine but I've never actually seen there work personally despite them being mates for 25-odd years :lol:

:P

ste said...

Modern plumbers don't seem to be able to diagnose faults and repair systems they just want to fit a new combi every 5-10 yrs.

The most reliable plumber we have struggles with diagnostic flow charts :lol:

Updated December 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM

I had a couple of general trades people round to finish my last place before I sold it (both on a day-rate). To be fair, the first guy worked fast and to a high standard, but my god he messed me around a lot with 'sister-in-laws dying' and just generally not turning up when he promised. (BTW, she didn't die - he really should put some privacy settings on his Facebook account - they went on holibobs instead).

In the end I got a Polish chap in to finish, who's a friend of a friend. Not quite as quick but 100% reliable. The first guy disappeared from the radar so badly he didn't even respond to my multiple attempts to pay him for his last day on-site. Maybe he was just too embarrassed.

Updated December 5, 2017 at 5:09 PM

--

Defacing the evo forum since 2000

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular