Forums > Any other business > Importing a Corvette Z06 from the US.

IMPORTING A CORVETTE Z06 FROM THE US.
Previous | 12 | Next

I've always had a thing for American cars but only recently do they seem to have made some proper handling ones that could compete with Europe's finest.

Yes they'll still be LHD, very firmly sprung and built from Cornflake packets but I accept those issues although no warranty is a little worrying. It wouldn't be a daily driver though clearly and I do like the idea of having something different too.

Recently I've been looking into bringing in either a 2015/16 Corvette Z06 (6.2 supercharged 650bhp) or maybe a 2015/16 Camaro Z28 (7.0 n/a 505bhp). Both would need to be manual and for me, red suits both cars.

Even with a naff exchange rate by rights I could get the Corvette on my drive for circa £65k and the Camaro for about £50k. Not bad money for the performance on tap.

The reviews for both cars seem pretty good too.

Corvette Z06 Review

Camaro Z28 Review

So what do you lot reckon?

Updated November 14, 2017 at 9:36 AM

--

Putin said he didn't do it.

Sheriff said...

Buy one from someone who has already imported one. Then you don't have any hassles with transport and SVA'ing the car. Don't forget 10% import duty, and VAT

This is £67k brand new https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707247669607

Personally, I'd go for a Dodge Hellcat with 707bhp

Updated November 14, 2017 at 9:40 AM

Must be worth asking David Yu re the Z06?

--

Wales Meet

Dan Webster "Your car actually sounded quite good from up there"

exiges said...

Sheriff said...

Buy one from someone who has already imported one. Then you don't have any hassles with transport and SVA'ing the car. Don't forget 10% import duty, and VAT

This is £67k brand new https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707247669607

Personally, I'd go for a Dodge Hellcat with 707bhp

The only issue with that is the premium added. The car you list is not a Z06 and I could import that car for about £50k all in. Yes with some grief but a £17k saving.

Oh and I'm just not a fan of the Challengers looks.

Updated November 14, 2017 at 10:06 AM

--

Mike1215 said...

Must be worth asking David Yu re the Z06?

His was the old scary one, which you now pick up over here for about £35k upwards.

--

exiges said...

Sheriff said...

As an example exiges here is a Z06 for £90k when the same could be on my drive for circa £65k.

--

The C7 Z06 is absolutely the best bang for your buck.

I don't know what US prices are like though. My C6 Z06 was a German import back when we had a decent exchange rate against the Euro. Advantage being I didn't have to do SVA as it was already Euro compliant.

Litchfield have brought a fair number of US cars in, including Z06 and Z28.
Click

There is a lot involved in getting them through SVA, so use a reliable and experienced importer.

I don't think you can get a US one to full Euro spec though, which means the radio probably won't work properly and the sat nav not at all, if that matters.

I would still rather have a Z06 with Z07 package in manual with Black Rose paint over anything sub-Ferrari 488.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

I would like you to proceed with this plan. Whether DIY or following David's advice. 8)

If it's anything like Ford... import from Canada, the Candian cars come with much more equipment as standard compared to the USA, optional extras are cheaper and the currency rate with Canada will also save you more money, your speedo will be in kph but not really an issue on modern cars where you can change it all with the digital dash.

Actually the cheapest option by far was to import from Mexico, the only problem with doing this with the F-150 was that Ford have their own plant in Mexico, and rumour has it the Mexican stuff has nowhere near the level of quality control of its American counterpart. Although that could just be Mercans being Mercans because anything not built in the USA is sh#t. Apparently. But I believe the Corvette is only made in one factory in the US so that's not a problem.

The nav and radio can be converted to Euro spec pretty easily, you just pull the module out the dash and send it to a chap in Sweden but it costs about a grand, handily he has all the car software updates too and can repair any of the car computers. Even if they're smashed to bits. (Thanks Fedex)... SVA was a piece of p1ss according to the importer, he just aligned the headlights, and mounted a tiny LED light to do the reversing and rear fog function, took less than 2 weeks to get from the docks to collection day. You also need a tracker to make it insurable.

The handy thing is if it does go wrong you have Ian Allen who have technicians trained to work on it, they were also offering test drives on the Z06 and Camparo in 2016 after they became the main dealers and it was all announced at Goodwood. May be worth seeing if they're still doing it.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Yes Ian Allan are still the only official UK dealers for Vettes and Camaros.

I'm gutted they've dropped Black Rose as a colour for 2017... :cry:

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Didn't the early Corvette Z06's have issues, although in sunny Britain, it might be a non-issue!

Vette all day :)

Sounds like a lot of compromises for an American car. Have you considered the Shelby Mustang GT350? Similar money, similar power, actual ride quality, engineered to be built and sold in EU markets so no faffing with importing one and then trying to get the basics like the radio to work, Manuel gearbox as standard, comes with a pukker 3 year Shelby UK/EU warranty oh and it's RHD so it's got more options when you come to sell it on.

Your link text

Orange Cola said...

Sounds like a lot of compromises for an American car. Have you considered the Shelby Mustang GT350? Similar money, similar power, actual ride quality, engineered to be built and sold in EU markets so no faffing with importing one and then trying to get the basics like the radio to work, Manuel gearbox as standard, comes with a pukker 3 year Shelby UK/EU warranty oh and it's RHD so it's got more options when you come to sell it on.

GT350 isn't available in RHD or official import over here AFAIK. Flat plane crank 526hp, so not even close to a Z06, although it is supposed to handle very well. For a 'Stang...

A RHD UK Mustang with Super Snake must be approaching if not exceeding Z06 pricing.

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

There's one on their site for £107000.
107k :lol:
GTFO.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

David_Yu said...

Orange Cola said...

GT350 isn't available in RHD or official import over here AFAIK. Flat plane crank 526hp, so not even close to a Z06, although it is supposed to handle very well. For a 'Stang...

A RHD UK Mustang with Super Snake must be approaching if not exceeding Z06 pricing.

Yes that's the one, it's a similarly powered US car but without some of the drawbacks. Although as Mito has just pointed out it's a silly price on their site and well over the top for what it's worth :shock:

Mustangs make so much more financial sense in the 'States :( I'm just not quite ready to part with £42k for the spec I want for one over here though.

I keep looking at transport costs for getting something over from the US and it just keeps fueling my desire to bring back a big block Chevelle or such. Something with a big V8 and lumpy idle. Maybe not very fast but sounds like it could wake a family 2 miles away!

The killer on these as pointed out is SVA and import duty. Outside that if it's all convenience things.

Orange Cola said...

David_Yu said...

Orange Cola said...

Yes that's the one, it's a similarly powered US car but without some of the drawbacks. Although as Mito has just pointed out it's a silly price on their site and well over the top for what it's worth :shock:

Mustangs make so much more financial sense in the 'States :( I'm just not quite ready to part with £42k for the spec I want for one over here though.

I quite enjoyed the thread about the grey 5.0 on PH Readers Rides.

All the right mods.

N said...

Orange Cola said...

David_Yu said...

Orange Cola said...

I quite enjoyed the thread about the grey 5.0 on PH Readers Rides.

All the right mods.

In all the right places?

Got a link?

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular