Forums > Any other business > Road Rage

ROAD RAGE
Previous | 12345 | Next

A few weeks back, I ended up caught up in a road rage incident. Sadly, this happens more often than it should, but, as you know, I'm not shy of sharing my opinion.

Anyway, this one was different. I was happily commuting to work on my bike, in lane 3 passing other vehicles and behind a couple of cars at about 80mph.

Behind me, I noticed a white BMW X5 haring up behind me. As a biker, I'm well trained on spotting white X5s as usually it means a copper, but not this time. This guy was clearly in a hurry, but there was nowhere for any of us to go, so instead he decided to sit right up my arse. It happens, but you do feel very vulnerable on a bike when someone does this to you.

My usual method of dealing with this is to simply turn around in my seat and have a good look at the driver. 99.9% of the time, this does the trick and the back door enthusiast usually drops back to a more reasonable distance. Not this time. Instead, this guy decided to drive literally 6 inches off my back wheel, so I wave him off (not with any sweary hand signals), at which point he swerves into lane 2 and gets alongside me. He can't get in front of me as the car we're going to overtake is too close, and there's a car in front of me so I can't easily overtake. Then he starts gesturing and swerving his car at me.

At this point, I figure there's a genuine chance he's going to actually try to knock me off, so I use the only escape route open to me and roll off the throttle to get behind him. As I slow down, there's faster traffic coming up behind, so I drop into lane 2 directly behind the X5, at which point the prick decides to brake check me. We're now down to about 45mph on a busy motorway, so I drop into lane 1, and the guy again swerves in front of me and brake checks me again, and I end up on the hard shoulder, at which point he swerves in front of me again and does an emergency stop directly in front of me.

So now we're both stopped on the hard shoulder. Its all happened so quick that I'm still in 4th gear, trying to knock it back down the box into neutral. The bloke gets out of the X5 and it's clear he's absolutely fvcking lost it. He's screaming and completely incoherent, with spittle flying and his face as red as a beetroot. He's right in my face and poking me and starting to push me about.

Again, I'm not shy of getting involved in either a war of words or even a bit of a scuffle if needed. But on this occasion I didn't say a word. Not a single one. I was half expecting him to swing a punch or maybe pull a weapon out. As he was starting to get a bit more physical (and I'd managed to find neutral by this point!) I pushed him away from me, not hard because a) I'm sat on a 250kg motorbike and the harder I push, the more unbalanced I become and b) we're stood next to a motorway and I don't really want to push him under a truck.

At this point his temper boils over and he attacks me, lunging at me then jumping up on me and pushing me and the bike over. As I get back to my feet, I think he suddenly realised what he'd done as he started to back right off. By this time too, his wife had got out of the car to see what was going on. My first thought was to try and smash his head through his own rear windscreen, but I thought better of it as at this point I had him for assault and criminal damage and the aggression had gone out of him, so instead I got my phone out and started taking pictures, at which point he scarpered quickly.

So, with my bike on it's side and impossible to lift back up on my own, I had to call the police who showed up pretty sharpish. I'm the meantime, a trucker stopped and helped me pick the bike up. I gave my statement to the police, plus the pics. Whilst I was in the cop car, it came over the radio that an independent witness had called in, so that was something.

Roll on a couple of weeks, I hear back from the police. The independent witness had supplied dashcam footage of the guy attacking me and pushing me and the bike over, but was too far away to capture anything earlier. A second independent witness from the other carriageway had also reported the guy attacking me. Faith in human nature somewhat restored.

They dragged the guy in to be interviewed under caution, and he Came lawyered up and with a fully prepared statement, in which he alleged that I'd attacked him first and the his intention in stopping me was to simply talk to me. :lol:

Unfortunately, both of our statements agreed entirely with the video evidence and witness statements, but who did what to who first couldn't be proven one way or the other, so the final result is that it won't get any further.

There was no damage to the bike thanks to the crash bungs, I wasn't injured apart from some ligament strain when I'd gone over, and I only had a few sleepless nights spend angrily wondering why I didn't kick his arse but then remembering that he was the one in sh1t rather than me. I also, apparently, haven't learned my lesson as I'm still happily giving people the finger and calling them wankers.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

NotoriousREV said...

A few weeks back, I ended up caught up in a road rage incident. Sadly, this happens more often than it should, but, as you know, I'm not shy of sharing my opinion.

Anyway, this one was different. I was happily commuting to work on my bike, in lane 3 passing other vehicles and behind a couple of cars at about 80mph.

Behind me, I noticed a white BMW X5 haring up behind me. As a biker, I'm well trained on spotting white X5s as usually it means a copper, but not this time. This guy was clearly in a hurry, but there was nowhere for any of us to go, so instead he decided to sit right up my arse. It happens, but you do feel very vulnerable on a bike when someone does this to you.

My usual method of dealing with this is to simply turn around in my seat and have a good look at the driver. 99.9% of the time, this does the trick and the back door enthusiast usually drops back to a more reasonable distance. Not this time. Instead, this guy decided to drive literally 6 inches off my back wheel, so I wave him off (not with any sweary hand signals), at which point he swerves into lane 2 and gets alongside me. He can't get in front of me as the car we're going to overtake is too close, and there's a car in front of me so I can't easily overtake. Then he starts gesturing and swerving his car at me.

At this point, I figure there's a genuine chance he's going to actually try to knock me off, so I use the only escape route open to me and roll off the throttle to get behind him. As I slow down, there's faster traffic coming up behind, so I drop into lane 2 directly behind the X5, at which point the prick decides to brake check me. We're now down to about 45mph on a busy motorway, so I drop into lane 1, and the guy again swerves in front of me and brake checks me again, and I end up on the hard shoulder, at which point he swerves in front of me again and does an emergency stop directly in front of me.

So now we're both stopped on the hard shoulder. Its all happened so quick that I'm still in 4th gear, trying to knock it back down the box into neutral. The bloke gets out of the X5 and it's clear he's absolutely fvcking lost it. He's screaming and completely incoherent, with spittle flying and his face as red as a beetroot. He's right in my face and poking me and starting to push me about.

Again, I'm not shy of getting involved in either a war of words or even a bit of a scuffle if needed. But on this occasion I didn't say a word. Not a single one. I was half expecting him to swing a punch or maybe pull a weapon out. As he was starting to get a bit more physical (and I'd managed to find neutral by this point!) I pushed him away from me, not hard because a) I'm sat on a 250kg motorbike and the harder I push, the more unbalanced I become and b) we're stood next to a motorway and I don't really want to push him under a truck.

At this point his temper boils over and he attacks me, lunging at me then jumping up on me and pushing me and the bike over. As I get back to my feet, I think he suddenly realised what he'd done as he started to back right off. By this time too, his wife had got out of the car to see what was going on. My first thought was to try and smash his head through his own rear windscreen, but I thought better of it as at this point I had him for assault and criminal damage and the aggression had gone out of him, so instead I got my phone out and started taking pictures, at which point he scarpered quickly.

So, with my bike on it's side and impossible to lift back up on my own, I had to call the police who showed up pretty sharpish. I'm the meantime, a trucker stopped and helped me pick the bike up. I gave my statement to the police, plus the pics. Whilst I was in the cop car, it came over the radio that an independent witness had called in, so that was something.

Roll on a couple of weeks, I hear back from the police. The independent witness had supplied dashcam footage of the guy attacking me and pushing me and the bike over, but was too far away to capture anything earlier. A second independent witness from the other carriageway had also reported the guy attacking me. Faith in human nature somewhat restored.

They dragged the guy in to be interviewed under caution, and he Came lawyered up and with a fully prepared statement, in which he alleged that I'd attacked him first and the his intention in stopping me was to simply talk to me. :lol:

Unfortunately, both of our statements agreed entirely with the video evidence and witness statements, but who did what to who first couldn't be proven one way or the other, so the final result is that it won't get any further.

There was no damage to the bike thanks to the crash bungs, I wasn't injured apart from some ligament strain when I'd gone over, and I only had a few sleepless nights spend angrily wondering why I didn't kick his arse but then remembering that he was the one in sh1t rather than me. I also, apparently, haven't learned my lesson as I'm still happily giving people the finger and calling them wankers.

You need the JJB course

--

Wales Meet

Dan Webster "Your car actually sounded quite good from up there"

I am struggling to understand why, with video evidence this liability cannot be charged with assault and battery and damage to property?

Typical SUV w@nker. Surprised he actually stopped and got out, guess he wasn't in that much of a hurry :roll:

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Great story :lol:.

Don't know if I'd hold back if someone pushed me over.

--

M235i

What's an utter prick. He's pretty much got away with it then :?

Far too many people like this on British roads the days.

I'll try your turn round and Paddington Bear stare at them trick, when I'm next tail-gated by a car. Hopefully it won't lead to an encounter like you had though :lol:

:lol:

Shocking story, but not entirely surprising, and one can imagine how many encounters on the road could end up like this.

Good for you for not judo-chopping him and karate kicking him into the path of a lorry in lane 1. How you didn't react when he knocked you and the bike over I'll never know.

Any as Mito says, why is it so often twats in SUV's? Stereotyping maybe, but it seems a disproportionately large number of SUV drivers are just cunts.

Next time he may pick on someone who isn't in control of his temper.

--

Defacing the evo forum since 2000

Blimey Dave, well done for reacting the way you did in the circumstances.

I completely lost it the other week and called some guy a cvnt (for acting like a cvnt) and felt quite bad about it afterwards (because I was stood right in front of him screaming what a cvnt he was), but the trouble nowadays is you never really know if one of these nutcases is going to pull a machete or a shooter out of his pocket.

--

www.hpeauto.co.uk

Dan said...

Blimey Dave, well done for reacting the way you did in the circumstances.

I completely lost it the other week and called some guy a cvnt (for acting like a cvnt) and felt quite bad about it afterwards (because I was stood right in front of him screaming what a cvnt he was), but the trouble nowadays is you never really know if one of these nutcases is going to pull a machete or a shooter out of his pocket.

Bloody hell, that's out of character for you! He must've done something pretty bad. :lol:

I don't mind admitting, this bloke scared me, and I can't remember the last time I was genuinely scared of someone as an adult.

--

Discoc*nts

So the lesson here, is to get the first punch in yeah? Maybe JJ Blade was right after all...

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Blimey, Dave. That's a sh1t situation. He was that pissed off just because he thought you were holding him up? Damn.

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

Gwaredd said...

So the lesson here, is to get the first punch in yeah? Maybe JJ Blade was right after all...

Next time, I'll have the side stand down quicker, off the bike and headbutt the cvnt with my lid on :lol:

--

Discoc*nts

Alex_ said...

I can't afford to have a criminal record so in these situations I clench and take it.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

The oatmeal hitting the nail on the head as usual

ETA glad to hear your and the bike are alright and no serious damage was done to either. You showed a lot of restraint not to react and smack him with what on my gloves would basically be knuckle dusters.

Updated November 13, 2017 at 8:20 PM

JL said...

Blimey, Dave. That's a sh1t situation. He was that pissed off just because he thought you were holding him up? Damn.

The coppers said to me "I have formed my own opinion of the gentleman, however I'm unable to provide the supporting evidence"

If he'd waited 10 seconds, the car in front of me would have pulled over, and he wouldn't have seen which way I went.

--

Discoc*nts

Jaysus, and I thought it was bad here. Admittedly flipping someone off gets you either in prison or deported, so I guess that helps.

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

Mito Man said...

Alex_ said...

I can't afford to have a criminal record so in these situations I clench and take it.

I've already got a criminal record sadly

Having said that, everyone like the Val Doonican album at Christmas.....

--

Wales Meet

Yikes. Glad you're okay.

--

DeskJockey
---
Driving a Galaxy far, far away

Dan said...

.... the trouble nowadays is you never really know if one of these nutcases is going to pull a machete or a shooter out of his pocket.

'The Sweeney' is on at 12:55am ITV4 by the way Dan ;)

--

Wales Meet

Previous | 12345 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular