Forums > Any other business > Sonos Play 5 - mini review

SONOS PLAY 5 - MINI REVIEW
Previous | 123 | Next

After receiving a resounding FRO at my suggestion to put my floor standing wharfedales and Yamaha amp in the new Kitchen Diner I started looking for a wireless streaming system that would fit on a worktop / unit.

The main big hitters seemed to be the Sonos Play 5 vs the Bose sound touch 30. After a bit reading they seemed to be very close in the reviews. I was undecided so I spoke with my mate who had a similar dilemma. He went with the sonos unit and says it has been faultless and the sound quality is excellent.

Went for a look at both of the units yesterday and had a demo in the shop. The sonos simply blew the Bose away on the power stakes. The Bose seemed to run out of grunt and start flapping when the sonos just kept punching. Descision made then it was the sonos.

Functionality wise the sonos seemed to do a lot more than the Bose also. Loads of streaming services can be added and it will talk to a dlna server. You can add other sonos speakers and mesh them together over time if required.

Setup in my kitchen it sounds excellent. Punchy bass addded to clear Mids and top.

I'm well impressed. Top marks.

--

Strong Broo Racing

I quite fancy a "consumer" music streaming system, but Sonos' 65k song limit is the blocker.

Until then, I'll stick with Squeezebox (Logitech Media) Server streaming to Raspberry Pis

Love our little Sonos 1's. Have more punch than they've any right to. When paired with Spotify, there's nothing to touch them IMO.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

PugRallye2 said...

Until then, I'll stick with Squeezebox (Logitech Media) Server streaming to Raspberry Pis

That sounds exactly as straightforward as I would expect :lol:

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

There really needs to be a "Like" button added to this place. Or at the very least some use of the MockDiamonds API.

You'd be living in a solid gold house by Christmas JL.

Updated October 12, 2017 at 9:59 AM

--

Cheers,

Mike.

In completely unrelated news, I heard a Devialet Phantom for the first time the other week.

Volume and bass both mightily impressive for the size....

Updated October 12, 2017 at 9:59 AM

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

I haven't changed anything on my Squeezebox Server for years, other than adding new music. I even spent a few quid on buying the updated third party controller app for my phone recently. Nothing has yet bettered it as a simple controller/interface.

--

Wow was I impressed

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

It's not actually as bad as it sounds (I'm not that technical).

- Buy Raspberry Pi, DAC board, micro-SD card
- physically assemble Pi and DAC board
- download file and copy onto micro-SD card
- boot Pi, access web interface and configure basic settings
- done

But it's not something I'd recommend to my Mum! :)

But it is cheap (c£30 I think, per "receiver" - Pi + DAC)

mik said...

In completely unrelated news, I heard a Divaliet Phantom for the first time the other week.

Volume and bass both mightily impressive for the size....

Who says classy design is a thing of the past.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

PugRallye2 said...

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

- done

Brilliant :D

I think its great people are still doing this but I'm just too old. Its like when I gave up on PCs about 20 years ago.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

Jobbo said...

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

I haven't changed anything on my Squeezebox Server for years, other than adding new music. I even spent a few quid on buying the updated third party controller app for my phone recently. Nothing has yet bettered it as a simple controller/interface.

This, it's an amazingly simple, light, quick piece of software - easily manages my c120k tracks FLAC library (c3.5TB).

It's incredibly robust too. Running it on a pretty decent QNAP NAS and it never needs rebooting/restarting etc.

Ascender said...

PugRallye2 said...

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

- done

Brilliant :D

I think its great people are still doing this but I'm just too old. Its like when I gave up on PCs about 20 years ago.

It was £30 and a bit of tinkering with a Pi (not something I've ever had a desire to do for the sake of it) or spend £100s on a second hand Logitech receiver.

The Pi solution is nice though - very neat/small, runs off USB power etc.

Ascender said...

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

There really needs to be a "Like" button added to this place. Or at the very least some use of the MockDiamonds API.

You'd be living in a solid gold house by Christmas JL.

Cheques, cash and postal orders accepted 8)

--

I still use the Logitech Squeezebox hardware; I haven't tried the Raspberry Pi/DAC solution but I may well do so if the hardware breaks, since it's no longer made. And for that reason I can't recommend Squeezebox Server unless you already use it. But I can't understand why nothing has bettered it, and people like Sonos still have surprisingly restrictive limitations (such as library size).

--

Wow was I impressed

Jobbo said...

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

Until recently I would have agreed, and actually had the same setup and same paid-for third party app, but now Airplay is common, I just play stuff direct from my phone to the receiver. Can't get any more simple than that.

--

That depends on the music being on your phone, and doesn't allow you to play the same thing in different rooms from the same source.

--

Wow was I impressed

Should have also mentioned I use Plex so the music doesn't have to be on my phone, but anyway. And if I want to hear music in other rooms, I just turn it up :lol:

--

Jobbo said...

That depends on the music being on your phone, and doesn't allow you to play the same thing in different rooms from the same source.

Simon lives in a hotel AICMFP.

I do wish I would stop getting sucked into threads like this - it's my own fault.

"What did you do today James?"

"Oh I discussed and sometimes argued with people online with regards to the methods, techniques and hardware they use to listen to their music at home"

".................I'm leaving you."

--

Jobbo said...

I even spent a few quid on buying the updated third party controller app for my phone recently.

I have just been blamed for the official squeezebox app no longer working on iOS11. Spending a few quid on the iPeng app is apparently not the correct solution either. :roll:

--

Even my earwax is radioactive.

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular