Forums > Any other business > Toyo 888 (GT-R)

TOYO 888 (GT-R)
Previous | 1 | Next

Well last Sunday at Rockingham really killed them off.

They were never very happy this time. Maybe too many cycles over too long a period. (3 or 4 track days over 5 or 6 years or so) but the fronts in particular were not turning in well at all and giving some bad understeer.
Even though it was easy to get the rear out and keep it there pretty much anywhere it was the fronts that took the most of the pain.

Was nice to see that despite the tyres not being so great the car was still able to lap faster than the v6 Exiges. But when my foot went to the floor braking from 135+ into a hairpin I knew it was time to stop. Only had the GT-R this time, Spec C was at home so it had a harder time than usual getting all of the use during the day.

Will have to get Castrol brake fluid to replace the boiled Motul. The brakes themselves were pretty awesome. Bit of fading at times and the Carbonetic pads are now crumbling to dust. No messing around with replacements this time, Pagid RS29s are waiting to be fitted. If my experience with the Exige is anything to go by they will be the ones to have.

The new tyres are Toyo 888Rs. These are the non directional assymetric replacements to the 888s.
Early days obviously but the only two complaints I had with the 888s have been addressed. The awful whining has gone and so has the aggressive tramlinimg.

A very reasonable £800 through the GT-R owners club too.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GT-R/ Audi S4

I thought you'd sold the Spec-C? :?

No. Was thinking about it but decided I couldn't face having a diesel again. So the S4 is our main family car now.

--

Mark BT52 said...

But when my foot went to the floor braking from 135+ into a hairpin I knew it was time to stop.

/irony ;)

135 into the hairpin? DId you start in Corby itself :lol:

It's nice having your brain re-adjusted for speed every so often.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Oh I'm a wimp through the turn1 banking.
Doing 115-120mph on turn in, but not brave enough to keep my foot in through it, and only accelerate again when it opens up.

I'm sure the car could handle it flat and add another 10-15 easily before braking just before the 100m board.

--

Some other options you may want to consider:

ATE TYP200 'Super Gold' i.e. the DOT compliant version of Super Blue. I prefer this to Castrol (assuming you meant SRF) as it's a fraction of the price but at least as good IME. The SRF is incredibly hygroscopic and its performance drops off a cliff in a very short time after it's been out of the sealed container. Great if you swap it every race meeting like on a top-level race car, otherwise it's performance is v.poor once old.

I like the Pagids, but consider Carbone Lorraine RC6. Phenomenal IME.

I've never rated R888s FWIW.

ste said...

ATE TYP200 'Super Gold' i.e. the DOT compliant version of Super Blue.

Easy to get hold of too, most Euro Car Parts stock it and at a reasonable price when you use their never ending weekend sale code to order it online. I paid a little under £15/L.

--

Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400/Smart ForTwo/BMW M135innit

Thanks for that.

--

Carbotech pads are the best I have ever used, eclipse even the CL5/6 IMHO :)

Will furnish the loltus with a full set

--

I used to be confused and now I'm not so sure.

Carbonetic Spec R were the best of the many pads I tried on the GT-R, but UK importer went out of business a couple of years ago. RS29s were good, but expensive and died after just one and a half track days.
Carbone Lorraine's squeal like Ned Beatty, don't they?
See what Iain recommends now.

Never had a problem with Motul RBF600.

New R888R sound good value at £800 a set.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

IME RC6 squeak like mad with a plain disc. If you have grooves it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad.

Mark BT52 said...

Well last Sunday at Rockingham really killed them off.

They were never very happy this time. Maybe too many cycles over too long a period. (3 or 4 track days over 5 or 6 years or so) but the fronts in particular were not turning in well at all and giving some bad understeer.
Even though it was easy to get the rear out and keep it there pretty much anywhere it was the fronts that took the most of the pain.

Was nice to see that despite the tyres not being so great the car was still able to lap faster than the v6 Exiges. But when my foot went to the floor braking from 135+ into a hairpin I knew it was time to stop. Only had the GT-R this time, Spec C was at home so it had a harder time than usual getting all of the use during the day.

Will have to get Castrol brake fluid to replace the boiled Motul. The brakes themselves were pretty awesome. Bit of fading at times and the Carbonetic pads are now crumbling to dust. No messing around with replacements this time, Pagid RS29s are waiting to be fitted. If my experience with the Exige is anything to go by they will be the ones to have.

The new tyres are Toyo 888Rs. These are the non directional assymetric replacements to the 888s.
Early days obviously but the only two complaints I had with the 888s have been addressed. The awful whining has gone and so has the aggressive tramlinimg.

A very reasonable £800 through the GT-R owners club too.

I ran the old R888s in the harder compound as road tyres for a couple of years. The noise was a bit wearing on a 200 mile drive plus the departure window was narrow on my Sierra. Grip would fall off too quick when really hot as well I thought for a track tyre.

I'd like to try the new ones

--

Wales Meet

Dan Webster "Your car actually sounded quite good from up there"

David_Yu said...

Carbonetic Spec R were the best of the many pads I tried on the GT-R, but UK importer went out of business a couple of years ago. RS29s were good, but expensive and died after just one and a half track days.
Carbone Lorraine's squeal like Ned Beatty, don't they?
See what Iain recommends now.

Never had a problem with Motul RBF600.

New R888R sound good value at £800 a set.

Well it turns out that it wad the Carbonetic pads causing my braking loss not the fluid boiling.
I changed them for the Pagids yesterday and they had crumbled in a way I haven't seen since the dire Performance Frictions on the Spec C.

Slight issue I have is that the old pads backing plates were slightly touching the outer edge of the Alcon bells and the Pagids will as well when they get worn. I guess I can just pad out the calipers slightly with spacers?

Because Pagids are available through Eurocarparts/Car parts4less they don't work out much more than the others. They worked out at £600 for the complete set front and rear.
They were the only make that I didn't have an issue with on the Exige and the Subarus so I am hopeful.

The 888rs do wine slightly after all but way way less than the 888s. They are a little stiffer with stronger sidewalls but it's the lack of tramlining which I'm most happy with.

--

Interesting - PFC01s were bulletproof on the M5.

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

There were two Ginettas on the trackday.
I saw one of them win the Btcc support race at Knockhill on TV today. Must have been using the trackday to set the cars up.

I couldn't tell if they were actually pulling over to let me pass or not because they were SO slow on the straights and all over the place round the bends. Looked like a right handful on TV as well.

--

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular