Forums > Any other business > What do you value more: performance or comfort?

WHAT DO YOU VALUE MORE: PERFORMANCE OR COMFORT?
Previous | 12345 | Next

As a lot of us have been frequenting this place in its various guises for nearly 2 decades I was wondering how our driving preferences have changed? I love the 135 but I don't use the performance anywhere near as much as I would have done 10 years ago and I'm sitting here in the Spanish sun, albeit with a few beers under my belt wondering if a 7 series would be a wise choice next...

As soon as it's warm - redline it everywhere.

--

Cheers

Rich

Both.

--

M235i

Why settle for either when you can have both.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

performance, comfortable cars are invariable boring to drive and after about a week i want to drive them into a wall

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

I used to be quite into hot hatches but as I've got older I like big cars with big engines. I've never really been a fast driver so something with a bit of space and an interesting engine is perfect.

My next purchase is going to be something V8 and American.

--

I often drive for a road travel

Mr Pisch said...

performance, comfortable cars are invariable boring to drive and after about a week i want to drive them into a wall

Why did you buy a GLA then? :?

--

M235i

Alex_ said...

Mr Pisch said...

:D

I think people can probably guess my answer.:)

--

Now stop trolling me you hat-wearing thundermut.

duncs500 said...

The Caterham CSR I drove in the Scottish Highlands was probably one of the comfiest cars I've ever driven. And it wasn't slower either.

--

M235i

I'm definitely entering the bargey stage of my life.

--

F*ck the internet, I was doing this My Way.

NicDale said...

Alex_ said...

Mr Pisch said...

:D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

duncs500 said...

How many miles have you done since you had it Duncs?

I could claim the same but 99% of my mileage is in the 300E...

Modern cars are generally comfy and cosseting even the sporty versions.

I'd take performance as you assume most cars ride well, have air-con, comfy seats, nice feeling surfaces etc.

zedleg said...

I used to be quite into hot hatches but as I've got older I like big cars with big engines. I've never really been a fast driver so something with a bit of space and an interesting engine is perfect.

My next purchase is going to be something V8 and American.

Same. I love the thought of a 500 Abarth :oops: or a Clio 197 but I know I'll never do it.

Not looking at a Yank car but I've really got a hard on for a CL63. They are stunning value.

It has always been performance over comfort for me, but it depends what you are doing.

When I have to drive in the US or a properly big city like London - where decent driving roads just dont exist - performance (straight line grunt and/or general performance bias) is pretty pointless and comfort becomes much more desirable.

So yes then.

Edit to avoid upsetting mercuns: I have never been anywhere in the US that had canyons - every road I have driven was dog5h1t.

Updated August 9, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Alex_ said...

Mr Pisch said...

because i drove one 8)

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

Mr Pisch said...

Alex_ said...

Mr Pisch said...

because i drove one 8)

Into a wall?

--

Bro... be yourself. Just less so.

mik said...

:lol: sorry to snigger Giles, but that's the nicest cvnty phrase I've read for ages. Will recycle.

securitycheck said...

Mr Pisch said...

Alex_ said...

Mr Pisch said...

because i drove one 8)

Into a wall?

:lol:

--

M235i

My problem with comfortable cars is that they invariably don't stop or handle with much agility, as a trade off for that comfort. Granted more modern stuff with electronic suspension can potentially do this but my experience with older cars hasn't offered this option yet.

I want a comfortable car with all the toys, but I also want to be able to throw it round corners and lean on the brakes without the car complaining after two corners..

Previous | 12345 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular