Forums > Tech > BMW Star marked tyres

BMW STAR MARKED TYRES
Previous | 1 | Next

Would you worry about picking them over non Star marked tyres?

Star marked tyres:

PS2: Too old. Therefore they are now old and Sh1t.
PSS: Will kill me unless it's middle of Summer.
Conti 5S: Sh1t and will wear out in 100 miles anyway. Sh1t.

Non Star marked:

Lots, inc PS4S which is not sh1t and the same price as the above.

I don't believe this topic has been done to death so REAL WORLD EXPERIENCES would be appreciated.

Updated May 19, 2017 at 8:12 PM

Before this thread and a quick google search, I'd never even heard of star marked tyres. And I'm on my 4th BMW...

--

Cheers

Rich

Neither had I and I've had two.

Forget about silly accreditation unless you have an extended warranty that requires it (and realistically I think that's only Porsche)

MPS 4S is the correct choice here!

--

PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

I noticed the .funeral car today (stretched jag XJ) was wearing MPSS on it. Questioned the need myself.

--

Strong Broo Racing

scotta said...

I noticed the .funeral car today (stretched jag XJ) was wearing MPSS on it. Questioned the need myself.

I imagine it left the factory on them before it was stretched. I can't imagine they go through tyres at a particularly fast rate so probably never been changed.

You've always been able to get manufacturer specific versions of tyres (with varying prices).

If you decide to get non type-approved tyres, make sure you inform your insurance company as they are classed as a modification..

--

Cheers,

Ian

Someone get the belm face out :roll:

The warranty company aren't fussed and The insurance side isn't an issue.

I remember seeing a picture of an N rated tyre next to a non N rated tyre, both apparently the same size but they were definitely different. So not sure if the BMW Star is a marketing ploy or if it genuinely has some meaning.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the PS4S as it's cheaper than older Michelins.

Ian, haven't you got them on your M5?

I wanted to put the PS4s on but they don't do the right size for the 135.

carlos said...

Someone get the belm face out :roll:

Just a small nibble then..

:P

Yes Alex, I do. Traction wise - they are so good I think the M5 now needs more power... :?

Updated May 20, 2017 at 6:16 PM

--

Cheers,

Ian

On my 997 and very impressed with them - more grip, less tyre noise and more sidewall compliance/better ride than the P Zeros they replaced.

Don't waste your time with anything else IMO - certainly not with a 10 year old PS2 just because it has a manufacturer approved stamp on it.

Updated May 20, 2017 at 11:41 PM

--

PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

Well that's news to me. Just ordered a pair of MPSS for the fronts. I didn't even search if the MPS 4S came in the size I need as I'm quite OCD about matching all four tyres.

And from my experience, the MPSS are fine in the winter and in temperatures just below 0c.

--

M235i

Alex_ said...

Well that's news to me. Just ordered a pair of MPSS for the fronts. I didn't even search if the MPS 4S came in the size I need as I'm quite OCD about matching all four tyres.

And from my experience, the MPSS are fine in the winter and in temperatures just below 0c.

New MPSS rears on mine as the fronts still have plenty of life. Will aim for a full set of MP4S next time.

I find MPSS offer grip levels similar to soap once the temp drops below 6degC.

Just realised the rear MPSS are wider than the front ones (245 vs. 225).

--

M235i

So you've ordered the right or wrong Size?

Right size.

mik said...

Wrong size initially. I thought the fronts were the size as the rears but the local tyre place managed to source a pair of 225 within an hour. Top service.

Updated May 26, 2017 at 12:25 PM

--

M235i

Nearly all BMW M-sport cars have different tyre (and wheel0 widths front to rear, my 03 plate E36 M-sport was 235/255.

Alex_ said...

mik said...

Wrong size initially. I thought the fronts were the size as the rears but the local tyre place managed to source a pair of 225 within an hour. Top service.

You've gone to a good place if they managed to put on the right size

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular