Forums > Any other business > NeC - Want to come and kill some animals?

NEC - WANT TO COME AND KILL SOME ANIMALS?
Previous | 1234567 | Next

As part of my existential crisis around eating meat, I've arranged to go to a farm, kill a rabbit, duck and chicken, and prepare them for the table.

There's space for three other people to come along and do the same, so if you'd like to come and have a go at preparing meat, starting with live animals, now is your chance.

Blog post about it

--

My food blog

Wow, there are courses for that now? I learned to kill, skin and prepare a rabbit in scouts. :)

An axe was definitely involved.

Are you hoping to become a butcher or a small holding owner and prepping your own animals?

And why would you want to do this?

Fair play to you Gav, though I don't think the chicken you eat from Waitrose are generally killed by a bunch of tree huggers singing kumbya and lighting incense, more hung on a conveyor belt, sprayed with water and electrocuted... :lol:

The old Gav would have live-streamed this. :P

--

Tim

Skoda Octavia vRS. Ducati 748 Biposto. BMW R1200RT SE

Buy this post for only 100,000,000,000,000,000 mockdiamonds!

It can be good for people to associate meat with the animals it comes from.

More people than you might think completely disassociate meat from animals.

--

I often drive for a road travel

There is a course for this because I created one :)

There seems to be two types of people in the world, those who killed animals as kids and those who have never even been anywhere near the process. Obviously, I'm the latter.

For me, it's about reconciling my consumption of meat, with the fact that someone, somewhere has to kill an animal for that to happen.

It only seems reasonable for me to experience killing an animal first hand, if I want to continue eating meat. Let's call it moral congruity.

--

My food blog

_Tim_ said...

The old Gav would have live-streamed this. :P

Ooooh, Facebook live :lol:

--

My food blog

zedleg said...

Why?

--

Tim

zedleg said...

More people than you might think completely disassociate meat from animals.

Exactly. There is a complete disconnection between meat and the live animals which it comes from.

--

My food blog

thelittleegg said...

For me, it's about reconciling my consumption of meat, with the fact that someone, somewhere has to kill an animal for that to happen.

Surely you should be holding massive electrodes to a cow's head, then?

I can see what you're trying to do, but I think you've chosen a happy-clappy way of going about it. Mass produced meat is slaughtered in a rather more gruesome way that going to a farm in the country with an axe.

Edit: That said, the capitalist pig-dog in me approves of fleecing other happy clappers of £145 a pop for this. Well done!

Updated May 17, 2017 at 10:54 AM

--

Tim

_Tim_ said...

zedleg said...

Why?

Understanding what your food is, and where it comes from is A Good Thing.
Not understanding that bacon comes from a pig, or that chicken nuggets come from chickens is A Bad Thing, which is proliferating.

--

My food blog

thelittleegg said...

_Tim_ said...

zedleg said...

Why?

Understanding what your food is, and where it comes from is A Good Thing.
Not understanding that bacon comes from a pig, or that chicken nuggets come from chickens is A Bad Thing, which is proliferating.

I think there are more important things to worry about than what stupid people think their food is made of.

In this new utopia everyone now understands what bacon and nuggets are. What's changed, really?

--

Tim

Just in the mood for an argument Tim? :lol:

That "there's more important things to worry about" is the oldest bullshit internet shutdown there is. Like people can only concern themselves with one thing at a time.

--

I often drive for a road travel

I did bunny stew from bunny to spoon on scout camp, but our traps failed so they were caught by someone else.

I read your blog and can't decide if you're pitching it as you being an attendee with others joining you, or helping run the event, or both. Did it come about from you wanting to go on a bespoke course (I see he does a bunny only one for £100), and it needing a number of people from your blog audience and elsewhere for it to go ahead?

--

Because V8

zedleg said...

That "there's more important things to worry about" is the oldest bullshit internet shutdown there is. Like people can only concern themselves with one thing at a time.

Yeah, why not. :D

OK, so what will change when all the stupid people now know where bacon comes from? They will still buy bacon, I'll wager. Their consumption of bacon thinking it's made of magic harms no other person, far as I know.

--

Tim

_Tim_ said...

thelittleegg said...

I can see what you're trying to do, but I think you've chosen a happy-clappy way of going about it. Mass produced meat is slaughtered in a rather more gruesome way that going to a farm in the country with an axe.

This forum us unbelievable. I'm going to chop a fcuking chicken's head off and I get accused of being a hippy? What's your name, RichB?

--

My food blog

Honestly Gav, what did you expect posting this here? :lol:

--

Tim

thelittleegg said...

_Tim_ said...

thelittleegg said...

This forum us unbelievable. I'm going to chop a fcuking chicken's head off and I get accused of being a hippy? What's your name, RichB?

Fvck you too.

--

Cheers

Rich

i noticed this type of thing has become very trendy with hipsters since mark zuckerberg started posting about what he had killed and eaten

Updated May 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

_Tim_ said...

zedleg said...

[/quote]

OK, so what will change when all the stupid people now know where bacon comes from? They will still buy bacon, I'll wager. Their consumption of bacon thinking it's made of magic harms no other person, far as I know.
[/quote]
[quote="_Tim_"][quote="zedleg"]Just in the mood for an argument Tim? :lol:

I'm surprised that you think breeding ignorance is a good thing, I always thought you were a clever chap.

The answer, as with most sociological questions, is not simple or binary. Meat, on the scale it is currently consumed, is bad for the planet, yet nobody will recognise that if they don't even understand where it comes from. If you genuinely care, which I doubt you do, I'd recommend googling about it. Terms such as 'Cooking Gap', 'ethical consumption', 'meat and the environment', 'meat and health' and 'social attitudes meat' will be good starting points.

Updated May 17, 2017 at 11:18 AM

--

My food blog

Previous | 1234567 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular