Forums > Any other business > Mustang Ecoboost review

MUSTANG ECOBOOST REVIEW
Prev | 12 | Next

NotoriousREV said...

GG said...

The Mustang however is supposed to be a simple back to basics pony car - there's no room for downsizing and efficiency in that concept for me - the whole point is about a V8.

The original Mustang was massively successful because of the fact you could configure it however you wanted to, and the 6 cylinder economy versions outsold the V8s.

Nice pics Pete 8)

When looking at buying my rwd Ford, i could have bought a factory V6 or V8 version ......but I went for the faster top of the range 4-pot turbo instead :P

--

Wales Meet

Dan Webster "Your car actually sounded quite good from up there"

Mike1215 said...

NotoriousREV said...

GG said...

The Mustang however is supposed to be a simple back to basics pony car - there's no room for downsizing and efficiency in that concept for me - the whole point is about a V8.

The original Mustang was massively successful because of the fact you could configure it however you wanted to, and the 6 cylinder economy versions outsold the V8s.

Nice pics Pete 8)

When looking at buying my rwd Ford, i could have bought a factory V6 or V8 version ......but I went for the faster top of the range 4-pot turbo instead :P

I'd love one of the V8s but alas they're too pricey now. I still want a Fox Body V8 'stang though, and they're basically a V8 sierra ;)

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a decent Fox Mustang. my mate had one but it was rotten so we ended up just stripping it for parts.

I just about had all the bits running properly in a Volvo 240 before I had to get rid of my scrapyard of projects :lol:.

--

I often drive for a road travel

NotoriousREV said...

Mike1215 said...

NotoriousREV said...

GG said...

Nice pics Pete 8)

I'd love one of the V8s but alas they're too pricey now. I still want a Fox Body V8 'stang though, and they're basically a V8 sierra ;)

I thought 9k was quite cheap for a limited edition ( 250 ) homologation special to be honest

V8

If you'd done it about 2014 you'd have got one for 5k of course

--

Wales Meet

For those that are keen on fox body stangs...
Best I've seen in a while, possibly an investment.
Your link text

Mike1215 said...

NotoriousREV said...

Mike1215 said...

NotoriousREV said...

GG said...

Nice pics Pete 8)

I thought 9k was quite cheap for a limited edition ( 250 ) homologation special to be honest

V8

If you'd done it about 2014 you'd have got one for 5k of course

That is a decent price. I think the last one I'd seen was more than double that.

--

Discoc*nts

zedleg said...

310bhp in around 1600kg isn't going to be slow. I still think there could've been a space for them to tweak the looks a wee bit and call it a Capri here though :lol:.

Definitely. The overall feel of the car is much more Capri than Mustang, and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if it was a Capri!

--

_

We should have a single, ongoing, number plate spotted thread.

Mito Man said...

I was going to ask if they had the V6 which seems like what every rental Mustang once came with but turns out it's been quietly dropped. Which brings us to the interesting point of why the ecoboost V6 was never put in it as a middle ground between the 4 and 8 lumpers, I reckon it's because it's so reserved in power output that a quick tuning box will make it destroy the V8 and Merica just isn't ready for that yet.

I didn't realise they dropped the V6 - the reviews of the ecoboost all say it sits above the V6.

I thought the convertible I had might have been a V6 at first, it's that much louder with the roof off!

--

_

We should have a single, ongoing, number plate spotted thread.

I've driven the V6 convertible auto and the V8 coupe manual derivatives, the former in the states for just over a fortnight.

The V6 sounded fantastic and at 300bhp it was perfect in that Chassis, nice steering feel and chuckable. You do know there's different steering calibration settings on the Mustang, awful and surprisingly good?

According to Ford the Ecoboost is 10bhp more powerful than the V6 and is easier to re-calibrate for the global markets economy and emissions demands. Financially I t makes a lot of sense for Ford to ditch the V6 but from a drivers point of view it worked really well in the Mustang.

The Coyote V8 in crate engine form is rated to 900bhp on the standard internals and the cooling system on the Mustang is good for 800bhp without modification, hence why there's a few places doing big horsepower Mustangs for not a lot of parts and money.

Having tried all of the options across two derivatives I'd have an Auto V8 Convertible from new and add a second hand V8 coupe when they've dropped a bit in price 8)

I had a Mustang 5.0 V8 rental last year - great bit of kit and the wife absolutely adored it. Tried out the line-lock in the car park of the Atomic Testing museum in Vegas - no vids though I'm afraid, but suitably smokey 8):D

Got the hard sell for the Shelby GT-H as an upgrade, but at double the cost the regular v8 was good enough.

--

My flickr pics

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting"

Lovely pics 8)

I didn't know the XR8 was a holmologation jobbie 8)

--

Moose vindaloo extra hot

Orange Cola said...

Having tried all of the options across two derivatives I'd have an Auto V8 Convertible from new and add a second hand V8 coupe when they've dropped a bit in price 8)

I did the classic V8 as my second ever car back in the 80s......but if I were to have a new one, any one they do, a standard car it would be this I think

Your link text

--

Wales Meet

nuttinnew said...

I didn't know the XR8 was a holmologation jobbie 8)

Yes, just like the 333i and the Alfa GTV V6 3-litre, all South African homologation specials

Updated April 20, 2017 at 9:26 PM

--

Wales Meet

Ooops :oops:

I think I've some period road tests of the 333i and XR8, not sure about the Alfa though.

--

Moose vindaloo extra hot

That GTV is beautiful.

--

Discoc*nts

Mike1215 said...

Orange Cola said...

I did the classic V8 as my second ever car back in the 80s......but if I were to have a new one, any one they do, a standard car it would be this I think

Your link text

Flat plane crank in a Yank V8 is all kinds of wrong. More than half the point is the soundtrack, and that just doesn't sound like a Mustang.

Corvette are keeping their cards close to their chest on the new lump for the ZR1 and rumours are it could be a flat plane DOHC V8. No problem with the DOHC part, but hope it retains the standard V8 crank configuration.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David_Yu said...

Mike1215 said...

Orange Cola said...

Your link text

Flat plane crank in a Yank V8 is all kinds of wrong. More than half the point is the soundtrack, and that just doesn't sound like a Mustang.

Corvette are keeping their cards close to their chest on the new lump for the ZR1 and rumours are it could be a flat plane DOHC V8. No problem with the DOHC part, but hope it retains the standard V8 crank configuration.

:)

I guess you can't please everyone.
They build a Mustang with a V8 that's not 'lazy', revs to over 8k, handles very well according to Car and Driver's tame racing driver...............

...and it's not Mustangy enough

I'd love a go in one personally

--

Wales Meet

Next Corvette will be mid-engined so all the Vette fanboys are already getting upset too :lol:

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mike1215 said...

David_Yu said...

Mike1215 said...

Orange Cola said...

Your link text

:)

I guess you can't please everyone.
They build a Mustang with a V8 that's not 'lazy', revs to over 8k, handles very well according to Car and Driver's tame racing driver...............

...and it's not Mustangy enough

I'd love a go in one personally

For once the Mustangs Chassis is very capable and very tuneable. There's variants on sale which are lapping faster than Nissan GTR's and making a good go of McLarens, R8's etc. and they aren't costing the earth to buy. I'm quite impressed with just how capable the car is both standard and tuned.

I was speaking to the owner of a UK-based tuna who are looking to develop a (twin) turbo kit for the V8. They're looking to do something different to the current supercharged offerings. He said he is amazed at how much power the stock engine can take.

Prev | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular