Forums > Any other business > Mustang Ecoboost review

MUSTANG ECOBOOST REVIEW
Previous | 12 | Next

Been in California and the surrounding area for the last two weeks, ten days of which were doing a road trip in a Mustang Ecoboost, or rather two...

Overall it really was a great car for the trip. Extremely comfortable for covering long distances (I did over 3000 miles), quiet at cruising speed, lots of room to stretch out in the front, and compared to the CRZ it dealt with potholes like a Rolls Royce. I did a couple of days of 500 miles / 10 hours + in the car and felt reasonable fresh at the end of them.

In the twisties you really notice the size and weight of the vehicle. It will happily do doughnuts and go out of junctions sideways but, unless you're really ham fisted, it prefers to neatly follow the front wheels while on the move. The steering has a decent weight, but there's almost no feedback through it.

As you'd expect from a 4 cylinder engine the sound is underwhelming when pushing on as well. Sounds like a base spec Focus with a bit of extra volume.

It's reasonably fast (at least compared to what I'm used to) but (and maybe I'm just a crap driver) I struggled to get within a second of the official 0-60 time.

A stone cracked my windscreen on day 7 so I got a replacement car which was the convertible version. It was good to experience both, but to buy I'd get the coupe. With a V8.

--

_

We should have a single, ongoing, number plate spotted thread.

8)

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

Sounds sh1t Pete 8)

Got any more pics of California?

--

F*ck the internet, I was doing this My Way.

Pete_ said...

Love this shot.

"Mustang" - followed by "Ecoboost" just sounds completely wrong in any event :lol:

--

PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

Great pictures 8)

--

M235i

GG said...

"Mustang" - followed by "Ecoboost" just sounds completely wrong in any event :lol:

New Ford GT has Ecoboost labelled on the engine, which is even more wrong.

Updated April 20, 2017 at 10:05 AM

--

M235i

Nic3 pics.8)

Was there no v8 available to rent? I can't describe how dissapointed I feel when I see a new Mustang in the UK and then realise it is just a 4-boomer. :(

Alex_ said...

GG said...

New Ford GT has Ecoboost labelled on the engine, which is even more wrong.

I don't know why but whilst jarring it doesn't seem to bother me quite so much as on the Mustang. Perhaps because for all its (in name) a retro pastiche of a 60s Le Mans racer, it's really a modern supercar now and I can accept it in that context.

The Mustang however is supposed to be a simple back to basics pony car - there's no room for downsizing and efficiency in that concept for me - the whole point is about a V8.

--

GG said...

The Mustang however is supposed to be a simple back to basics pony car - there's no room for downsizing and efficiency in that concept for me - the whole point is about a V8.

The original Mustang was massively successful because of the fact you could configure it however you wanted to, and the 6 cylinder economy versions outsold the V8s.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

The Mustang does seem to be in a catch 22 situation. Derided as a throwback because of it's big lazy V8 and live axle, then when they do something else everyone goes "well that's not a Mustang".

--

I often drive for a road travel

NotoriousREV said...

GG said...

The original Mustang was massively successful because of the fact you could configure it however you wanted to, and the 6 cylinder economy versions outsold the V8s.

I accept that but to me there is still too much of a gap between the in line 4 ecoboost and the v8 - v6 to v8 doesn't distort the image to me whereas a hatchback/small sports car 4cyl in a big coupe just jars.

--

310bhp in around 1600kg isn't going to be slow. I still think there could've been a space for them to tweak the looks a wee bit and call it a Capri here though :lol:.

Updated April 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM

--

4-cylinder Mustang doesn't annoy me but it does when it comes to the Cayman. I think it's because I have zero interest in owning a Mustang ever.

Updated April 20, 2017 at 12:10 PM

--

M235i

I was going to ask if they had the V6 which seems like what every rental Mustang once came with but turns out it's been quietly dropped. Which brings us to the interesting point of why the ecoboost V6 was never put in it as a middle ground between the 4 and 8 lumpers, I reckon it's because it's so reserved in power output that a quick tuning box will make it destroy the V8 and Merica just isn't ready for that yet.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

It's not the worst engine ever put in a Mustang. They used a 2.3 litre version of the Cortina engine in the early Fox Body 'stangs.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

Mito Man said...

I was going to ask if they had the V6 which seems like what every rental Mustang once came with but turns out it's been quietly dropped. Which brings us to the interesting point of why the ecoboost V6 was never put in it as a middle ground between the 4 and 8 lumpers, I reckon it's because it's so reserved in power output that a quick tuning box will make it destroy the V8 and Merica just isn't ready for that yet.

A remapped V6 EcoBoost would spank the Coyote on headline figures

Stage 1 : 430 bhp / 520 lb/ft :shock:

BTW, nice holiday there Pete 8)

zedleg said...

The Mustang does seem to be in a catch 22 situation. Derided as a throwback because of it's big lazy V8 and live axle, then when they do something else everyone goes "well that's not a Mustang".

They finally ditched the live axle.

The V8 is a very affordable platform for tuning. Sutton do an 800hp version and I don't think they even change any engine internals...

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David_Yu said...

zedleg said...

The V8 is a very affordable platform for tuning. Sutton do an 800hp version and I don't think they even change any engine internals...

Presumably a supercharger?

--

David_Yu said...

zedleg said...

I know and the US drag racing guys started whinging, that was kind of my point ;).

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular