Forums > evo > R26, Abarth 500 or FN2?

R26, ABARTH 500 OR FN2?
Previous | 1 | Next

Please provide any qualified advice on me buying a Cooper S R56 or Abarth 500. 6-7k.
I know to buy 2009 R56 onwards for some engine niggles.
Or if you have an alternative suggestion?

Updated April 16, 2017 at 9:50 AM

Clio RS200
Fiesta ST

--

Strong Broo Racing

Good shouts,
worried the Clio would be too fragile?
Would love an ST but my budget would only get me into an old 2.0l model.

Maccmike said...

Good shouts,

Focus ST then?
Civic type r
Ibiza cupra

--

Strong Broo Racing

scotta said...

Maccmike said...

Good shouts,

Focus ST then?
Civic type r
Ibiza cupra

Guessing you don't like the 500 or r56 then?

GK1985 said...

scotta said...

Maccmike said...

Good shouts,

Focus ST then?
Civic type r
Ibiza cupra

Guessing you don't like the 500 or r56 then?

He asked for alternatives!

I used to have an R50 cooper. It was a bag of shite. Spent more time fixing that than any other car Ive ever owned.

--

Strong Broo Racing

A Clio 197/200 is not great if you need to travel any great distance on motorways, the gearing is *very* short. If you live at one end of a B road and work at the other end, then it's probably pretty good.

Beware broken front coil springs, and of course the chocolate gearbox, which will suffer synchro issues.

--

Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400/Smart ForTwo/BMW M135innit

Hi Andy, yeah I do live around B roads and I would love a clio but seek robustness.

The type r is a great suggestion.

Iv had an EP3 in the past.

This weekend I will look at Abarth 500s and FN2s..

Abarth 595 all the way - great car to drive, an active club scene, and a bit more exclusivity than a Ford

--

Even if you are 1 in a million like your mum told you, there are still 7500 people just like you in the world

I have driven 3 this weekend including an Essesse model with 170bhp. I liked them, misses didn't.
Also tested an FN2 but it was bit too chavvy with an induction kit, also only 3 stamps in the service book.
Went to view 2 more FN2s but gear gaitor was torn and LCD screen malfunction.
The other claimed to be immaculate, opened ashtray, still fag ash in there.
These were all traders!
Lastly on way home looked at an R26.
Boost turned up a bit but tight as a drum and no rattles.
Deal done, picking it up in the morning.

Good skills, none of that naval-gazing fannying about that so many on here seem to indulge in.

--

Much blasphemy ensued, and some menace, which I stopped by dismounting and opening the carriage door, and intimating an intention of mending the road with his immediate remains, if he did not hold his tongue. He held it.

8)

--

Now stop trolling me you hat-wearing thundermut.

Maccmike said...

I have driven 3 this weekend including an Essesse model with 170bhp. I liked them, misses didn't.
Also tested an FN2 but it was bit too chavvy with an induction kit, also only 3 stamps in the service book.
These were all traders!

My missus loves the Abarth and is currently on her third - a 595 Tourismo. She also had a 2002 Mini Cooper years ago, but that never gets a nostalgic mention these days. Weirdly enough the BMW Mini had more, and more serious niggles and faults/recalls than the Abarths ever had. You just need to find the right colour combination and spec and she'll fall for it like a Gucci handbag. (Or is that unacceptable gender stereotyping?)

--

PaulJ

Yeah I loved the Abarths. Reading up on them they seem pretty robust and reliable. Hold values well too.
Im not looking for fast as such but has to be fun.
I change cars a lot probably through boredom so we'll see how I get on with the Megane.
I had a Cooper on lease about 8 years ago and loved that, after reading up, wouldn't buy privately though for fear of bills and been there done that already.

Updated April 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM

Maccmike said...

These were all traders!

Pics and full review on R26 please... Rather fancy ScottA's but just not the right time.

Yes definitely. Il report back in a week or so.
Anyway its;
Black.
Lux model.
Black leather.
Cruise control.
Air con.
Auto lights.
Belts have been done.
281bhp. The original cat is being including so plan on fitting this asap. Then look at getting boost turned down a bit. Think 250-260 is plenty.

R26 is probably a better drive but the FN2 type R literally costs pennies to run and revving to over 8000rpm never gets old

The few FN2s I viewed were real dogs. Loving the R26 so far.

Maccmike said...

Yes definitely. Il report back in a week or so.
Anyway its;
Black.
Lux model.
Black leather.
Cruise control.
Air con.
Auto lights.
Belts have been done.
281bhp. The original cat is being including so plan on fitting this asap. Then look at getting boost turned down a bit. Think 250-260 is plenty.

come and see me on turboRenault.co.uk - groupbuy on at RSTuning.

--

TurboRenault Forum !

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular