Forums > Any other business > Motorbikerist thread

MOTORBIKERIST THREAD
Previous | 123..34..656667 | Next

I've never motorbiked in my life and am now taking my CBT on Sunday. They say in the itinerary that it's ok to have no prior experience. Will it still be easy enough to pass? And in my blissful ignorance, I didn't think it would be done on the road, with other road users. This is a bit daunting to me..

Updated June 20, 2017 at 9:04 PM

Yeah. Its as easy as falling of a b...

--

Bro... be yourself. Just less so.

mik said...

:lol: sorry to snigger Giles, but that's the nicest cvnty phrase I've read for ages. Will recycle.

Yes, they'll take you all the way from knowing nothing about the bike to riding it round the car park and then out on the road for a couple of hours. The advantage you have is that you already have road sense and understand how a clutch works so you'll just have riding the bike to worry about.

You can't technically fail your CBT, but it is possible to not pass. I bought an ex a motorbike and paid for her CBT as she really wanted to be a biker. She kept refusing to do the road part and after the 3rd week of going back to have another go, her sister bought the bike off me and did it instead. She rides a ZX6R now.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

All of that. The CBT is a really good system.

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

They even teach you how to check & adjust your chain, check your brake pads, the correct way to use a centre stand etc. It is good.

--

Discoc*nts

Ta. So just don't be a complete moron.. easier said than done :lol:

I think I'm just slightly anxious due to the poor standard of driving that's regularly exhibited. But life is not without risk!

Most of it's in a yard, if my experience is anything to go by. Don't worry about other drivers - that's never going to change. If this is a deal-breaker for you, don't get a bike - the end.

Updated March 14, 2017 at 9:21 AM

--

All of the above. You'll know after the CBT whether biking is for you, the majority seem to curse that they left it so long to try :lol:

Came to work on my GSXR again today, Fazer is having major surgery all week, and can't stop chuckling to myself. 8)

Last Friday I did something I suddenly realised I hadn't done all year - went for a fvcking long road ride on the Honda, good 350 kms or so. Christ - it was magical.

Oh and Ms JL passed her test yesterday, so even chicks can do it! At the end of the maiden voyage:

There's just nothing like it - even at sane, just-passed-test speeds the Mrs was babbling like an over-caffeinated idiot all night :lol:

--

I'm considering booking MrsREV on her CBT. She keeps saying she'd like a pink Vespa.

--

Discoc*nts

Respect to Ms JL - she was a bag of nerves setting on a proper bike for the first time, in crappy traffic as well. Stopped after an hour or so as she'd been death-gripping the controls in controlled panic :lol: On the way home i.e. the second ride, she was visibly more relaxed and enjoying it more, and was even getting it leaned over on roundabouts more than I was expecting.

I reckon that one decent ride* at the weekend (i.e. in the daylight, away from traffic) and she'll be hopelessly hooked.

* then we could take the bikes out - baDUMtish!

Updated March 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM

--

Where are you doing it Alex? I need to pull my finger out and get a licence.

--

Ben

JL said...

Last Friday I did something I suddenly realised I hadn't done all year - went for a fvcking long road ride on the Honda, good 350 kms or so. Christ - it was magical.

Oh and Ms JL passed her test yesterday, so even chicks can do it! At the end of the maiden voyage:

There's just nothing like it - even at sane, just-passed-test speeds the Mrs was babbling like an over-caffeinated idiot all night :lol:

The current CBR is sweet8)

--

McSwede said...

Never realised Gilles was a Southern fanny though. He seemed like such a decent chap. I shall eye him with suspicion from this day forth ;)

It's great to see more women getting involved in biking, for so many reasons, and I'm hearing good things about CBT bookings over all are on the rise as car insurance/ownership gets ever more expensive. Whilst they're not ideal transport on this wet isle they do offer genuine alternative transport still, and that the Goverments (past and present) seem to be doing their utmost to prevent this is baffling to me.

As for road trips, there is something about your bike taking you on a long trip (same applies with cars but you don't bond in the same way IMHO), even just a good days riding will do it. I've been riding bikes knocking on thirty years now and I still get a huge kick out of just wandering round this country on a bike 8)

I still get an adrenaline rush just getting the bike out of the garage to ride to work. Something I don't get when I take the car.

--

Discoc*nts

Exactly that Barry. My mates are crazy into the track right now, but as much I enjoy it, I just see it as practice to be a better rider. I need to go somewhere.

edit - these threads always descend into me, Barry and Dave talking about how much we like bikes, don't they :lol:

Updated March 14, 2017 at 11:35 AM

--

Ben__B said...

Ditto.

Have spent the entire morning looking at '70s CB550 / CB750 'Cafe Racer' type builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WIw7CIHFa8

The sound of that. 8)

JL said...

edit - these threads always descend into me, Barry and Dave talking about how much we like bikes, don't they :lol:

They do, and one day someone will listen to us! :lol:

I don't get much chance to eulogise about biking so I take every chance I can, unfortunately that means you lot have to put up with it :P

ste said...

Ben__B said...

Ditto.

Have spent the entire morning looking at '70s CB550 / CB750 'Cafe Racer' type builds.

Mate of mine threw together a cracker of a CB750 cafe racer, then sold it the day after it was finished because he's odd :lol:

He's currently having a punt at this:

--

Previous | 123..34..656667 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular