Forums > Tech > ANDROID - reliable phones

ANDROID - RELIABLE PHONES
Prev | 1..6..91011 | Next

unzippy said...

PugRallye2 said...

[
I've had a 3T for about a year now and it's the best Android phone I've had.

Works really well - super fast, very simple, near stock version of Android, lots of updates/improvements (i.e. good support), super-fast charging/great battery life, good camera etc.

They're not as cheap as they used to be, but still worth a look I'd say.

My one gripe with the 3Tis that the screen glass is a bit soft.
I've never had a screen protector on any of my phones (always in my left pocket that never has coins or keys etc)

After 5 months it looks worse than my LG G3 looked like after 3 years. The Nexus I had before that looked better too, after 2 years.

Odd - it's Corning Gorilla Glass 4 apparently - should be as resilient as any other phone with that glass?

Dunno - maybe the Gorilla was having an off day? Or it's a fake and I've just got Baboon glass?

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

You removed the pre-applied screen protector?

I havent removed anything, but there isn't one on there..

Updated October 8, 2017 at 8:13 AM

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

Strange, it should have a screen protector on it out of the box.

So is that 2 screen protectors?

--

Defacing the evo forum since 2000

Marv said...

That was a nice touch I thought - having a screen protector already installed when the device is new (I can never get them on perfectly)

PugRallye2 said...

And speaking of rubbish, the new Pixel phones are so boring. OK, they might have improved what was already a great camera, but the Pixel 2 still has massive bezels top and bottom, they're both still "flagship" expensive, the Pixel 2 XL has really quite thick side bezels, and that "squeeze the sides to invoke Google Assistant" just seems naff.

So disappointing - it's like they don't want to sell any phones.

Quite correct! The Pixel phones seem rather disappointing as well as mahoosive for the screen size. Really thought they offer something really smart.

I'm very tempted by the LG V30. It looks great and the specs seem good. I got an LG Q6 for the wife the other week and was very impressed with both the phone and the build quality for a midrange smartphone. This fills me with a lot of confidence for the V30. Also lots of screen, no notches and minimal bezel.

Clicky

--

SD said.....

...it looked like a dog with worms, dragging its arse across the lawn.

I'm still rocking my Nexus5 (LG built) so that could well be tempting if the price is right, been impressed with the N5 thus far.

Less and less impressed with Googles own efforts I must admit, my PixelC has been randomly dropping its WiFi connection, which turns out to be a long standing issue when you dig around the internet, and Google are pretending its users at fault. Not cool for an expensive own brand tablet IMO. :?

Ignoring for a moment my ramblings in a couple of post prior to this one I might just have accidentally ordered a Pixel 2 XL 64gb :oops::oops::lol:

I got to thinking last night about my note 4 and how much I like it (best Samsung to date imo) but if I could change one thing it would be bloatware as it fucks-me-right-off. So I thought about software and hardware blah blah and decided that, like my wife did with me I'd concentrate less on looks and more on ability.

I got on a live webchat with EE to see what deals are available. After quite sometime of being a pain in the rump Yorkshire tightarse I was offered a decent deal.

Same deal as my current sim only contract (£18.99 fwiw) of unlimited mins/texts, double speed 4g & 8gb data with a pixel 2 XL 64gb and Google home mini for £199.99 upfront and £37.99 a month.

Now this works out to me that I have got the phone & home thing for £656 rather than £848 plus I'll get back £135 for my Note 4 which brings it down to £521 for the new tech.

I'm quite please with that and, as my wife had to, I'm sure I'll get used to the challenging looks :lol:

Your link text

--

SD said.....

Hmm I was eyeing up the 6gb ram HTC U11 the other day luckily they dont have much bloat which is attractive.

All new phones are blinking expensive tho arent they. As I am of an age now where I have no clue how to use these devices to their max potential having the greatest / latest isnt top of the list. My HTC 10 is very good, the M8 is terrible but lasts on standby for days which is useful enough. Needs replacing tho.

New phone prices are nuts. As are some of the contracts being offered. Some of the Note 8 ones on EE are eyewateringly expensive. It's amazing how much discount you can get if you are persistent. They knocked £200 off the upfront cost and a good chunk off the monthly on mine. Probably glad to just get me off the webchat!!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the pixel and home mini integrate with everything else at home and how much we as a family start to use it. Because, like you say, as older people we don't use this tech to its fullest extent. I will be trying to when it gets delivered though.

--

SD said.....

Might get the Mrs to try that trick then. At the mo the new contract pricing is massively undercutting the upgrade deals she's being offered.

Swervin_Mervin said...

Might get the Mrs to try that trick then. At the mo the new contract pricing is massively undercutting the upgrade deals she's being offered.

Webchat and being a PITA always works for me. They eventually give a you deal to make you go away!! :lol:

--

SD said.....

Well they wouldn't offer her anything better than was on the website. Annoying.

Looks like new contract on same network will be cheapest. So i assume the only way to keep her existing number is to get a payg, port old number over and then back to new contract?

Updated October 13, 2017 at 10:52 PM

As much as I rate my OP3T, I'm starting to hanker after a smaller phone again...

I find my iPhone a bit too small (screen-wise), but I think a 5" phone with small(ish) bezels would be about perfect.

Sadly it seems things are just getting bigger and bigger...

My Platinum 7 died yesterday. Won't turn on or respond. Still under warranty, so sending it for repairs. In the meantime I've dug my old One M7 out of a drawer. Turned on and got set up easily. Feels tiny though.

See what happens with the repair, but considering a Moto G5s Plus or an LG V20.

--

DeskJockey
---
Driving a Galaxy far, far away

I have Samsung 6edge. I would love to try Samsung Note8. I love the split screen design and its ability to be a computer. So it's doable -- a mobile phone and computer at the same time. Does anyone here try the new Note? What's your take?

Updated October 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM

Prev | 1..6..91011 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular