Forums > Tech > ANDROID - reliable phones

ANDROID - RELIABLE PHONES
Prev | 1..7..121314 | Next

McSwede said...

My Pixel 2 XL has been delayed until at least next week :evil: I'm in Scotland all week so it'll delay me getting it even further :lol:

Good news!! The new phone is being delivered in the morning while I'm working from home.

--

SD said.....

...it looked like a dog with worms, dragging its arse across the lawn.

The phone has landed. What a super thing it is too. Really slick and quick. Finger print scan is fast but takes a little getting used to being located on the rear.

The screen is superb when looking straight on or at a small angle. As the angle increases it definitely takes on a noticeable blue tinge. The colours are more natural and not as saturated as my Note 4. I watched The Martian on both handsets at the same time and I'm not sure what I preferred. I suppose years of being used to over saturated colours will mean that the Pixel screen takes a little getting used to.

Set up couldn't have been easier. Just connected it to my old Note 4 and it transferred 48gb of data, settings and apps in 10 mins. Awesome stuff.

Very, very pleased with it so far and in white/black Panda spec it looks awesome.

--

SD said.....

McSwede, how are you getting on with the Pixel 2 XL? How are you finding the screen after being used to Samsung phones?

--

M235i

Alex_ said...

McSwede, how are you getting on with the Pixel 2 XL? How are you finding the screen after being used to Samsung phones?

And does it have these LTE reboot issues I've been reading about?

I'm still erring on getting an S8 but I do like the vanilla Google phones.

Barry said...

Alex_ said...

And does it have these LTE reboot issues I've been reading about?

I'm still erring on getting an S8 but I do like the vanilla Google phones.

It's fantastic TBH. It looks and feels good. I much prefer it to my brothers Note 8 and as Barry states it is pure Android with none of the shite that the likes of Samsung fill there phones with.

The screen is great as the colours are much more natural than the Samsung screens and there hasn't been one issue at all so for. As I mentioned in a previous post swapping from my Note 4 couldn't have been easier as you just plug the old/new phones together and 10 mins later it's all sorted. I must have spent 10 mins getting rid of some stuff and that was it. All the wifi password for everywhere I go are transferred too which was nice!

Google assistant is awesome and in a whole other league to Siri IMO. Google lens will be superb when they finish developing it.

On the whole though it's an awesome piece of kit and I'd highly recommend it.

ETA - Set up to do wifi calling out of the box which is nice!

Updated November 30, 2017 at 1:40 PM

--

SD said.....

Good to hear. I'm still baulking at the £900 price tag for 2XL 128GB.

--

M235i

Alex_ said...

Good to hear. I'm still baulking at the £900 price tag for 2XL 128GB.

I was going to go for that but free cloud storage is your friend and the 64gb is more than enough for my needs.

--

SD said.....

Got my S8+, so quick review:

Beautiful device with a stunning screen. By far the sharpest and brightest display I've seen. I often find myself unlocking it just to gaze at its magnificence. It isn't perfect, though, the colours can seem almost a bit too vivid sometimes, but it's nowhere near as bad as Samsung panels used to be.

Size. I'm still unsure whether it's too big. I think the 'regular' S8 might be the more practical day-to-day device purely due to the more convenient form. Luckily for me I have big hands so the larger phone isn't much of an issue. There is an option to minimise the screen in 'one handed mode' which is very useful.

Speed. I obviously hadn't noticed how comically slow my iPhone 6 had become. The S8+ loads and flicks between apps in almost no time at all. I hope it doesn't slow down too much over time.

Overall, I love it. Android is user more friendly and far less confusing than it once was, and it makes my iPhone feel like a child's toy.

Updated December 5, 2017 at 7:40 PM

Android is user more friendly and far less confusing than it once was, and it makes my iPhone feel like a child's toy.

Been saying it for years now... ;)

Stock Android is even cleaner, simpler, and more elegant.

I wonder if it's hard to root and flash a stock version on an S8? ;)

'User more friendly' :lol:

Anyway, yes you are right. The whole UI is easy, logical and simplistic. So much different to how it was just a few years ago. Anyone who says Android is complicated etc is either biased or simply hasn't used a modern version of it IMO.

I'll certainly won't be rooting this device! Wouldn't be confident doing it.

Still finding cool things with it, the Smart Lock feature means you don't have to keep unlocking the device when you're in a safe place, such as at home. Great idea.

Only thing I'll miss from the iPhone is iMessage and the fingerprint scanner being on the front.

Alex88 said...

'User more friendly' :lol:

Anyway, yes you are right. The whole UI is easy, logical and simplistic. So much different to how it was just a few years ago. Anyone who says Android is complicated etc is either biased or simply hasn't used a modern version of it IMO.

I'll certainly won't be rooting this device! Wouldn't be confident doing it.

Still finding cool things with it, the Smart Lock feature means you don't have to keep unlocking the device when you're in a safe place, such as at home. Great idea.

Only thing I'll miss from the iPhone is iMessage and the fingerprint scanner being on the front.

Where is it on the S8?

Updated December 6, 2017 at 12:30 PM

On the back, next to the camera lens. Not the best location but I've already gotten used to it.

Prev | 1..7..121314 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular