Forums > Any other business > Brexit - The movie

BREXIT - THE MOVIE

I think we'd ally with the US either way Rev, irrespective of our allegiance with the EU states? We do seem to play their lapdog on a lot of "war" issues? It's a fair point though.

Whereas I see the positive side - if the paper by the French and German foreign ministers does stand any chance at all of forming a framework for a reformed EU (I'm not convinced but I live in hope), then it appears they're at least willing to allow member states the option of being fully in or as some sort of partner arrangement.

And if we kicked all of that off, then good.

They have to face up to the Greece problem though - it's a humanitarian disaster of their own making and presents a dreadfully unpleasant image of a supposedly compassionate political union. It's one of my biggest issues with the EU and those currently running the show - in particular the Blatter-esque Juncker and that snide weasel that is Scheuble

I never really got why the whole EU army thing was bad anyway. We've been fighting wars that aren't ours to fight for the last 20 years anyway. Surely this way means shared resources and less money pissed into the bottomless pit that is our defence budget.

--

I often drive for a road travel

zedleg said...

I never really got why the whole EU army thing was bad anyway. We've been fighting wars that aren't ours to fight for the last 20 years anyway. Surely this way means shared resources and less money pissed into the bottomless pit that is our defence budget.

C'mon, Zedleg, those EU bastards just want to control us and keep us shackled with only straight bananas and underpowered hoovers to defend ourselves.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

When you have read the operating instructions in 28 languages to work it you will be dead. :shock:

--

< less than 80kg not a member of the 100 club.

zedleg said...

We can at least remove our elected members if they take us into a war we don't agree with, do you think we can do that with an EU controlled army? And war has always been an excuse to spend/make lots of money, I see nothing changing that in the future.

I have no issues with most of the EU idea in principle, and certainly nothing against Europe as a people, but I do have issues when people I have no control over are dictating where my tax money goes, be that the markets or wars. :? Granted our own Gov aren't much of an example of that sysem working either, but you live in hope :lol:

Barry said...

zedleg said...

We can at least remove our elected members if they take us into a war we don't agree with, do you think we can do that with an EU controlled army? And war has always been an excuse to spend/make lots of money, I see nothing changing that in the future.

I have no issues with most of the EU idea in principle, and certainly nothing against Europe as a people, but I do have issues when people I have no control over are dictating where my tax money goes, be that the markets or wars. :? Granted our own Gov aren't much of an example of that sysem working either, but you live in hope :lol:

Yeah but we can't agree what wars we disagree with. I remember going to a bunch of protests that no one paid attention to :lol:.

This is quite good for comparison actually. That debunked £350m a week figure that we apparently send to the EU. Our military expenditure was about £750m a week last year. We could probably cut some weight out of that.

Don't worry Rev I'm not about to start banging on about Trident again ;).

--

zedleg said...

Good, because we'll need that to defend ourselves against the United States if Europe and its huge army :lol:

--

Discoc*nts

I get that people think Daniel Hannan is a very clever man, but he's clearly either delusional or an out and out liar/denialist.

CNN interview

--

Discoc*nts

NotoriousREV said...

zedleg said...

Good, because we'll need that to defend ourselves against the United States if Europe and its huge army :lol:

:lol:

--

zedleg said...

I never really got why the whole EU army thing was bad anyway.

In many respects, me neither. But with NATO existing anyway (damp squib that it is) what would be the point?

I've been trying to establish whether we'd have the right to 'cancel' an article 50 notification, should we so desire.

This paper by the UK Constitutional Law Association suggests we can't, whereas this House of Lords European Select Committee paper on the process of withdrawing, which cites as it's witnesses Sir David Edward (KCMG, QC, PC, FRSE, Former Judge of the Court of Justice of the European Union QQ 1-17) and Professor Derrick Wyatt (QC, Emeritus Professor of Law, Oxford University, Brick Court Chambers) suggests that we can.

Thoughts? Particularly Jobbo...

--

Defacing the evo forum since 2000

Yea I would be interested to.

Is triggering article 50 the point of no return or can we still say "actually fvck it we would rather stay" before the 2 years is up?

It was supposed to be a serious referendum, not a question whether to rename the UK BrexitMcBrexface :lol:

--

Pilouil

FTSE 100 only a 100 or so points off last Thursdays close this morning.

--

< less than 80kg not a member of the 100 club.

RJW said...

FTSE 250 still 2000 points down from Friday, GBP still in the toilet against USD.

--

Discoc*nts

RJW said...

When you have read the operating instructions in 28 languages to work it you will be dead. :shock:

Aside; wouldn't you just read it in your native language? ;)

_Who_ said...

I've been trying to establish whether we'd have the right to 'cancel' an article 50 notification, should we so desire.

This paper by the UK Constitutional Law Association suggests we can't, whereas this House of Lords European Select Committee paper on the process of withdrawing, which cites as it's witnesses Sir David Edward (KCMG, QC, PC, FRSE, Former Judge of the Court of Justice of the European Union QQ 1-17) and Professor Derrick Wyatt (QC, Emeritus Professor of Law, Oxford University, Brick Court Chambers) suggests that we can.

Thoughts? Particularly Jobbo...

Toss a coin - in any Supreme Court hearing, there are at least two QCs with opposing views arguing the case. This is the sort of constitutional question which can't easily be answered, though I prefer the more recent paper by the Constitutional Law Association. Which would be a worse result because it prolongs the uncertainty, though perhaps a better result if it prevents us leaving the EU.

ETA: Now I've gone back to look at the papers, I was answering a different question to that which you asked; the point about whether you can stop Art.50 once you start the process isn't all that important in the scheme of things because if we do go through with it, the country won't be attempting to change its mind.

Before anything else: there has not yet been a notification; strictly, there hasn't even been a decision in accordance with the UK's constitution. The question at the moment is: can the government invoke Art.50 without a parliamentary vote in favour. That is what I was answering above.

Updated June 29, 2016 at 9:08 AM

--

Wow was I impressed

NotoriousREV said...

RJW said...

FTSE 250 still 2000 points down from Friday, GBP still in the toilet against USD.

You appear to be using statistical fact to counter a misleading platitude. Desist immediately. Everything's fine.

--

Much blasphemy ensued, and some menace, which I stopped by dismounting and opening the carriage door, and intimating an intention of mending the road with his immediate remains, if he did not hold his tongue. He held it.

NotoriousREV said...

RJW said...

It's higher than it was 6 months ago and as per the rest of the indices within its typical short term trading range.

The arse isn't falling out of Britain, it's just lack of confidence due to the unknown.

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular