Forums > Any other business > Brexit - The movie

BREXIT - THE MOVIE

exiges said...

zedleg said...

As far as staying in the eu goes, with the lack of any effective campaigning on either side you have to go with your own intuition and mines says that there is more benefit to staying in than leaving.

Did you watch the video I linked ? Seems to be very effective at informing, and how anyone can vote remain after seeing it beggars belief.

Well yes, it's propaganda after all!

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

simongardner said...

giving the freedom from cumbersome regulations like making sure your factory workers don't get killed by machinery, or that your children aren't eating toxic paint off their toys.

It's crap like this that winds me up most about the Stay in campaign...

--

People once said...

"You're right Dinny"

simongardner said...

or giving the freedom from cumbersome regulations like making sure your factory workers don't get killed by machinery, or that your children aren't eating toxic paint off their toys.

Where do most toys come from ? China. How does the EU prevent a toy from China being sold on Ebay from having toxic paint ?

So regulations didn't exist before the EU ?

You've never seen this (introduced in 1903) ?

Updated May 27, 2016 at 11:59 AM

New Tory Plans post Brexit.

All those people earning less than £40k pa are required by law to wear cloth caps and to doff then at anyone wearing a Top hat and Tails (which anyone earning more than £40k must wear, by law)

--

People once said...

"You're right Dinny"

Well as we are all millionaires with playboy bunny girlfriends and wives surely we can just change this thread to being about what kind of top hats we are all going to wear so the peasants know their place?

It seems the Treasury Select Committee are also unimpressed by both campaigns

exiges said...

Where do most toys come from ? China. How does the EU prevent a toy from China being sold on Ebay from having toxic paint ?

One of the Brexit film's key arguments is that the EU supposedly likes coming up with excessive amounts of rules governing all sorts of things. The implication seems to be that this all costs lots of money and is excessive interference.

How many of those would we implement anyway? How many would take more time (and cost) to draft ourselves rather than take what the EU has already done the work for? Or is the utopian Brexit dream that we chuck away all the regulations that mostly keeps things safe and workable and just deregulate everything?

simongardner said...

exiges said...

One of the Brexit film's key arguments is that the EU supposedly likes coming up with excessive amounts of rules governing all sorts of things. The implication seems to be that this all costs lots of money and is excessive interference.

How many of those would we implement anyway? How many would take more time (and cost) to draft ourselves rather than take what the EU has already done the work for? Or is the utopian Brexit dream that we chuck away all the regulations that mostly keeps things safe and workable and just deregulate everything?

I think that misses the point the Leave campaign is trying (woefully) to make: it's not necessarily that laws exist, it's that there are occasions where we have to accept the EU law rather than draw up our own; we lack control of the content of the law. Whilst this isn't entirely true, it's a reasonable argument.

I still have no idea which way I'm going to vote.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

No-one has mentioned the obvious question yet! How would leaving the EU affect the price and availability of new Porsches over here... (And French wine for that matter)

Sorry for making the debate all about me. ;)

--

PaulJ

exiges said...

Brexit - the movie

What a load of bollocks. 70 minutes of 'less regulation = economic growth = good thing.' Completely missing the point that we no longer live in the industrial revolution, we now need to overcome international issues (pollution, workers rights, immigration, climate change etc. etc. etc.) and if we don't do this at an international level there will be a race to the bottom to get that economic growth that we all want so much, and everything else will fall by the wayside. There's lots of things I don't like about the EU, but I will be voting to remain.

Updated May 27, 2016 at 6:28 PM

--

_

We should have a single, ongoing, number plate spotted thread.

Pete_ said...

exiges said...

Brexit - the movie

What a load of bollocks. 70 minutes of 'less regulation = economic growth = good thing.' Completely missing the point that we no longer live in the industrial revolution, we now need to overcome international issues (pollution, workers rights, immigration, climate change etc. etc. etc.) and if we don't do this at an international level there will be a race to the bottom to get that economic growth that we all want so much, and everything else will fall by the wayside. There's lots of things I don't like about the EU, but I will be voting to remain.

All decent points accept that the people deciding what laws/regs should be in place are all unelected and meet in private (with God knows which lobbyists).

THIS is my reason for voting out. It's anti democratic. The argument that the UK can only change the EU by being in it is utter bollox. By leaving we will send a big message and reform may happen in the future as a way of encouraging the UK to rejoin and, most importantly, to give all member countries a better deal.

--

My Flickr

DSP Active Speakers

As far as I've seen, polls are predicting around 55% remain, but I wonder whether they really consider voter apathy in the remain camp.

Going to be very interesting either way.

--

Now stop trolling me you hat-wearing thundermut.

Out of interest - for those who think it is undemocratic.. Why?

Anyone got a link for the contrary???

I'm very interested and would like to hear the opposing thoughts.

--

Nuts on the road

At an irking level, Norway has a fantastic relationship with most European countries. It has some of the safest working environments I've experienced in Europe and the rest of the world, great control over its own money (see the infrastructure work going on to battle the oil situation by creating jobs). They also have cheap electronics when compared to salary, a fantastic education system of its own making and some of the best childcare in the world to help getting people back to work.

All of this with a strong identity and not being part of Europe. If we got even part of what they have with a greater control of laws, bureaucracy and the extra 10billion to do this it would be a huge victory for everyone in the UK.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

a7x88 said...

The EU Council are appointed, not elected. These guys are the ones who decide what laws go to the vote in the European Parliament. The EU Council meet in private so none of their reasons for deciding thesr laws is on public record.

--

My Flickr

DSP Active Speakers

mattcambs said...

a7x88 said...

The EU Council are appointed, not elected. These guys are the ones who decide what laws go to the vote in the European Parliament. The EU Council meet in private so none of their reasons for deciding thesr laws is on public record.

But they're voted on by elected MEPs. Laws in the UK are prepared by unelected civil servants and voted on by MPs. What's the difference?

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

GraniteV8 said...

At an irking level, Norway has a fantastic relationship with most European countries. It has some of the safest working environments I've experienced in Europe and the rest of the world, great control over its own money (see the infrastructure work going on to battle the oil situation by creating jobs). They also have cheap electronics when compared to salary, a fantastic education system of its own making and some of the best childcare in the world to help getting people back to work.

All of this with a strong identity and not being part of Europe. If we got even part of what they have with a greater control of laws, bureaucracy and the extra 10billion to do this it would be a huge victory for everyone in the UK.

Dave!

Norway is quite a different country to the UK though. Population is only 5m compared to 60m in the UK, it's a massive country (more square KM than Germany) and has lots of natural resources.

Just because something works for Norway, doesn't mean it'll work for us.

NotoriousREV said...

mattcambs said...

a7x88 said...

But they're voted on by elected MEPs. Laws in the UK are prepared by unelected civil servants and voted on by MPs. What's the difference?

Quite a lot I'd say
Your link text

--

My Flickr

DSP Active Speakers

NotoriousREV said...

mattcambs said...

a7x88 said...

This. In the same way we don't directly elect our health, education secretary etc etc. Our government nominate them every 5 years. The council then come up with ideas which are voted through/amended/modified/declined by directly elected MEP's. It's no more undemocratic thab our system

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular