Forums > Any other business > Brexit - The movie

BREXIT - THE MOVIE

OK lads, I'm open for a bit of education here... :)

Can you explain how outlining our Brexit negotiations strategy and defining how we would like to envisage life the UK, post Brexit, isn't going to play directly into the hands of the EU negotiators thus undermining our position before we start ?

Updated April 19, 2017 at 9:23 AM

--

People once said...

"You're right Dinny"

The negotiations aren't secret, you know. They're between public bodies; both sides have to be open.

Oh, and if you don't start a negotiation by saying what you want ('No, not telling you :P') then you're really going to struggle to negotiate your way to that outcome.

Updated April 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM

--

Wow was I impressed

Some reading matter for Dinny.

--

Wow was I impressed

Go fish!

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

Some other reading matter.

--

Wow was I impressed

Only books that are washable and chewable, please.

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

Jobbo said...

Can someone other than Larry, Curly and Moe tell me if this is worth getting ?? :D

--

People once said...

"You're right Dinny"

I paid for it with my own money - it's a good book. Or you could google for reviews: Clicky

But it must be pretty obvious (i.e. not requiring a book) that if you hide your goals in a negotiation, the other side has no way of knowing what you're trying to achieve so no incentive or means of getting you to that goal by trading smaller things.

--

Wow was I impressed

Jobbo said...

Oh, and if you don't start a negotiation by saying what you want ('No, not telling you :P') then you're really going to struggle to negotiate your way to that outcome.

Actually this in untrue. YOu overstate what you want and then reach a compromise (what you really wanted but never divulged)

thanks for the recommendation Jobbo - I cant' tell if you're being serious anymore or if you are taking the pi$s so had to ask... :)

And back to my initial point, Negotiation Goals (What I would like) are fine but "Exit Negotiation Strategies" (How I intend to get them) are best kept to the negotiator, particularly in the EU context.

Jobbo said...

This election should be fought on post-Brexit plans and exit negotiation strategies. But none of the parties have any. It's a disgrace.

--

People once said...

"You're right Dinny"

Broccers_ said...

Jobbo said...

Actually this in untrue. YOu overstate what you want and then reach a compromise (what you really wanted but never divulged)

Fine if you're buying a used car. Is a trade deal like buying a used car? I don't think so.

ETA: Dinny, keeping strategies to yourself implies you have one. The fact that there is no strategy has, unfortunately, become public knowledge: Clicky.

And since the electorate needs to decide between the parties, we need to have the manifesto to make a decision.

Updated April 19, 2017 at 11:10 AM

--

Wow was I impressed

The approach to Brexit negotiations and what information about the government's key aims is made public is a minefield in reality.

IMO this is partly driven by of the fact that in contrast to most normal commercial negotiations where each side has their own key points they want to win and others they're willing to trade, the EU Commission, a number of MEPs and certain member states have a desire to stop the UK achieving its objectives out of spite and a desire for vengeance and will hurt their own interests in doing so.

This complicates a simple approach of setting out a list of what your red lines are or central objectives as you're putting up targets to be knocked back. The more apposite analogy is in reality that of a divorce.

I don't disagree that this in turn has the downside that trying to get 27 member states to agree to things is extremely difficult and even harder where they're unclear as to what they're being asked to agree.

May will have to make aspects of the negotiations much more clear than at present through so the election will serve that purpose I'm sure.

--

PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

Jobbo said...

ETA: Dinny, keeping strategies to yourself implies you have one. The fact that there is no strategy has, unfortunately, become public knowledge: Clicky.

Really - This is a Fact now ?? Even the headline says it's Disputed

But does illustrate the futility of discussing Brexit at all...

Will stop now.

Updated April 19, 2017 at 11:23 AM

--

People once said...

"You're right Dinny"

Dinny_G said...

Jobbo said...

Really - This is a Fact now ?? Even the headline says it's Disputed

But does illustrate the futility of discussing Brexit at all...

Should stop now.

If you read the article, it doesn't say the content of the memo is disputed. It's a fact that the memo exists, and nobody has argued that the contents is incorrect. Deloitte were advising on the Brexit department so they clearly had access to the info.

It's irrelevant whether the Tory party have a plan or strategy anyway; May has made the decision to have a general election meaning the power could be in the hands of a different party. And I'm not convinced they have any better strategy or plan. The point is that she is flying by the seat of her pants when she shouldn't be.

--

Wow was I impressed

Jobbo said...

Broccers_ said...

Jobbo said...

Fine if you're buying a used car. Is a trade deal like buying a used car? I don't think so.

How mamy brexits have there been? Looking at the response/demands from the EU so far my tactics are perfect. :P

Jobbo said...

Ordered ! Arrives Saturday.

"Negotiation skills" have become a hot topic for me at work so anything similar that comes with a recommendation is appreciated. (because despite everything, I'd place a lot of value in a recommendation from you over one from some random from google reviews etc.)

Updated April 19, 2017 at 5:40 PM

--

People once said...

"You're right Dinny"

So Farage has decided he'd have more influence over affairs by remaining on the Brussels gravy train?

Unbe-fvcking-lievable. And millions of people fell for his sh1t...

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

I think your analysis likely is a bit off target, David.

If Farage went for a seat in parliament at the election he'd have 5 years of guaranteed income rather than 2 (as clearly he'll lose his seat as an MEP when Brexit comes to fruition so I don't think it is financially motivated.

In reality this is more a tactical play that he doesn't want to be defeated in a humiliating fashion on the second time of running at a GE - so cowardice is a fair accusation rather than avarice.

--

PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

GG said...

I think your analysis likely is a bit off target, David.

If Farage went for a seat in parliament at the election he'd have 5 years of guaranteed income rather than 2 (as clearly he'll lose his seat as an MEP when Brexit comes to fruition so I don't think it is financially motivated.

In reality this is more a tactical play that he doesn't want to be defeated in a humiliating fashion on the second time of running at a GE - so cowardice is a fair accusation rather than avarice.

He gets paid many times more than an MP as an MEP and is apparently only 2 years off qualifying for a 60k Euro/year pension, but my main point was the mindblowing, blatant hypocrisy of the odious man.

His party continually shouted down any remainers who argued that the EU could only be influenced by staying within it, but he's now using exactly the same argument for his own benefit!

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

You aren't really surprised though, Farage is a scumbag that relied on lies to inflate his own image. All the while cashing cheques from the organisation he apparently hated while not doing any work there.

--

I often drive for a road travel

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular