Forums > Any other business > Brexit - The movie

BREXIT - THE MOVIE

If this lets her get on with her job with a single person leading the way, not needing to tackle people trying to trip her up then its a genius move. It will take a few years to see where we are and I think this should guarantee it.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

GraniteV8 said...

not needing to tackle people trying to trip her up

Is she the only one who knows what's right for the country?

We don't need no stinking opposition :lol: :roll:

GK1985 said...

GraniteV8 said...

not needing to tackle people trying to trip her up

Is she the only one who knows what's right for the country?

We don't need no stinking opposition :lol: :roll:

Yes but standing back saying "Doom doom doom" with no constructive criticism just delays things and gives no help to the situation at all.

Dave!

--

_Who_ said...

Jobbo said...

JL said...

Thanks lads, and yes I agree that's an astute move; in fact I'm surprised it doesn't happen every time the opposition has weak leadership.

That is the reason the Fixed Term Parliaments Act was passed - to prevent a PM with a large lead in the opinion polls just calling a snap election. And this isn't a snap election yet, it's just her desire for one; it needs to be passed by a 2/3 majority in Parliament first.

Of course, it'll get that - it's absolutely ridiculous how weak any opposition is at the moment.

More concerningly to me, May has taken the big decisions and seemingly irrevocable step of exercising Art.50 without a mandate of her own, and after all that is now seeking the country's approval of her as PM. Erm, I think you should have sought the country's approval of you first, not just accepted the job unopposed and got on with attempting to act unconstitutionally, Mrs May. I'm strongly minded to vote against the Tories this time for that very reason.

So, a referendum on leaving AND a parliamentary vote on the same was not enough of democratic mandate for her to exercise article 50?

Exactly this.

She has a popular mandate to exercise Article 50 via the referendum result and a parliamentary one via the legislation authorising the government to exercise it.

What she doesn't necessarily have is a personal mandate to conduct the actual Brexit negotiations (which perhaps is what you're referring to) - in which case now would be the most appropriate time to call the election to secure that.

--

PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

No I think what The Rt Hon Jobson meant is that she wasn't actually voted to be PM.

Updated April 18, 2017 at 2:05 PM

--

Much blasphemy ensued, and some menace, which I stopped by dismounting and opening the carriage door, and intimating an intention of mending the road with his immediate remains, if he did not hold his tongue. He held it.

JL said...

No I think what The Rt Hon Jobson meant is that she wasn't actually voted to be PM.

No-one votes for a PM

--

Defacing the evo forum since 2000

_Who_ said...

JL said...

No-one votes for a PM

I would say that's very much not the case in reality, you vote for the party who has views you prefer the country to be run by and a person you think will achieve that.

Dave!

--

_Who_ said...

JL said...

No-one votes for a PM

You know exactly what I mean; don't be obtuse.

--

Much blasphemy ensued, and some menace, which I stopped by dismounting and opening the carriage door, and intimating an intention of mending the road with his immediate remains, if he did not hold his tongue. He held it.

Fair enough; I think the more reasonable point would be to argue that the Government doesn't have an electoral mandate for a 'hard Brexit'; In fact in the 2015 Conservative Manifesto it was to stay in the single market, ergo a new mandate is needed to take us in a different direction.

However, history is littered with PMs who didn't go to the country - Brown, Major, Callaghan - In fact roughly half of PMs have not been elected. Both sides of the house are 'guilty' of this.

--

I might try and line up a hard Brentry tonight 8)

--

JL said...

I might try and line up a hard Brentry tonight 8)

As long as it's not to get your fingers back on your fishing quota....

--

I'm so bored with listening to other peoples political opinions/regurgitated media feed.

TM is a cvnt for doing this to summer 2017.

I'm a member of the Tory party and I didn't get to vote for her. She's PM by default. Nobody stood against her after the Leadsom smears.

And she had the result of an opinion poll to work with. I would still suggest she didn't have a mandate to exercise Art.50 at any cost, with no plan. But Parliament gave her that mandate in the end, after she went to court and lost, twice, attempting to do it without a mandate.

She's inconsistent, her policies on human rights are scary and she's surely only doing this for exactly the reason I mentioned above - she became PM by default, not because the electorate wanted her.

--

Wow was I impressed

This election should be fought on post-Brexit plans and exit negotiation strategies. But none of the parties have any. It's a disgrace.

--

Wow was I impressed

Jobbo said...

This election should be fought on post-Brexit plans and exit negotiation strategies. But none of the parties have any. It's a disgrace.

In an ideal world yes but when playing cards, you don't show the other players your cards before you bet.

--

People once said...

"You're right Dinny"

Evostick said...

I'm so bored with listening to other peoples political opinions/regurgitated media feed.

Stopping listening immediately would solve this.

--

Dinny_G said...

Jobbo said...

In an ideal world yes but when playing cards, you don't show the other players your cards before you bet.

Dinny, it's not a game of cards.

--

Wow was I impressed

No, it's not. But it's Dinny we're talking about here - let him try and crowbar his clunky, irrelevant analogy into an otherwise-adult conversation.

--

In Monopoly, you must throw a six to start.

--

Discoc*nts

1st and 3rd places FECPOTY Shed of the Year 2016

* nods slowly in agreement *

--

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular