Forums > Any other business > The Grand Tour

THE GRAND TOUR

JL said...

N said...

They're probably aiming for Friends money at $1m each per episode. Add 20 years inflation so 2x that basically.

I guess they have that sort of draw. Incredible really.

I remember reading earlier this year that the stars still earn over $10m a year from the Friends franchise! :o

--

“Agree. F430 Scud was the best automated manual ever created for me.” Harry Metcalfe, Dec ‘17.

IanF said...

JL said...

N said...

They're probably aiming for Friends money at $1m each per episode. Add 20 years inflation so 2x that basically.

I remember reading earlier this year that the stars still earn over $10m a year from the Friends franchise! :o

The big thing is syndication. It will make your eyes water just googling how much Seinfeld has earned through syndication.

--

My food blog

thelittleegg said...

IanF said...

JL said...

N said...

The big thing is syndication. It will make your eyes water just googling how much Seinfeld has earned through syndication.

He's earned zilch from me - not seen a single episode.

He must be gutted. :lol:

Updated September 21, 2016 at 11:16 PM

I think I read that Clarkson gets paid for every new series of Top Gear, with or without him

--

Beany said...

Oh dear lord can I marry you? <3

If its as popular as Top Gear in terms of becoming a global brand then the 160M will probably be easily earned back. But I guess with Amazon there's also the number of Prime memberships it will sell plus the %age of people who will then also buy more stuff from them.

I do wonder though if one of the big players in online streaming will make a mis-step and go under as there's been rumours for a few years now that their business models just aren't sustainable. Although I guess its not like Amazon are relying just on their streaming to make money.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

speedcamera said...

thelittleegg said...

IanF said...

JL said...

N said...

He's earned zilch from me - not seen a single episode.

He must be gutted. :lol:

ive not seen any either, but it was on BBC2 over here, so part of your licence fee has paid for it... so he has earned something from you and me.

--

Cheers

Rich

Ascender said...

If its as popular as Top Gear in terms of becoming a global brand then the 160M will probably be easily earned back. But I guess with Amazon there's also the number of Prime memberships it will sell plus the %age of people who will then also buy more stuff from them.

Streaming services are still relativly new with huge potential of growth, its important to grow your brand so that it can be the google / apple of the streaming service (which currently netfixs probably is closest).

It looks like Amazon are trying raise their profile and a global product like the TG Team is ideal for this. Whilst the benefit for Netflix is probably less i think it was a mistake for them to allow somebody else to get the franchise.

Updated September 22, 2016 at 8:33 AM

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

Mr Pisch said...

Ascender said...

Streaming services are still relativly new with huge potential of growth, its important to grow your brand so that it can be the google / apple of the streaming service (which currently netfixs probably is closest).

It looks like Amazon are trying raise their profile and a global product like the TG Team is ideal for this. Whilst the benefit for Netflix is probably less i think it was a mistake for them to allow somebody else to get the franchise.

I've got prime, but I'm not that impressed with the quality/quantity of stuff on there. They seem to have put all their eggs in one GT shaped basket that is taking about a year to arrive. I'm not sure if I'm going to renew it.

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich B said...

I've got prime, but I'm not that impressed with the quality/quantity of stuff on there. They seem to have put all their eggs in one GT shaped basket that is taking about a year to arrive. I'm not sure if I'm going to renew it.

I would agree with you, the offerings they have are very poor compared to netfix, it feels like they have a bias to TV shows rather than films which seam to get updated rarely.

I do hope they make the Tick, that and tGT would probably sell it for me.

You do get alot of other stuff with prime but i always forget about it ...

Updated September 22, 2016 at 8:56 AM

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

I've read a few articles which really question how Netflix can continue to pony up so much cash for original content as their business model just won't sustain it.

To be honest, the only reason we've got Prime is because we put it through the race company as its really handy to be able to pick up bits and pieces before races from there without having to run about locally or risk stuff not turning up. If it wasn't for that I'd probably be watching GT by less legitimate means.

I've not been that impressed with the content on Prime. And while a lot of Netflix movies content is pretty crap, there's enough good stuff on it alongside their excellent original series that its still worth the money imo.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

I love Amazon Prime for the delivery and music, the video content not so much like others have said. Netflix is much better for that.

Sky has come a long way now as well for streaming. My Sky Q sub has tons of box set series on it that I'm watching more and more of - not sure if that's also available on council sky or not.

--

Tim

Skoda Octavia vRS. Ducati 748 Biposto. BMW R1200RT SE. SERV Volunteer.

_Tim_ said...

Sky has come a long way now as well for streaming. My Sky Q sub has tons of box set series on it that I'm watching more and more of - not sure if that's also available on council sky or not.

i am sure skyQ has come a long way but at £70 a month they can poke it

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

Peasant.

--

Tim

Skoda Octavia vRS. Ducati 748 Biposto. BMW R1200RT SE. SERV Volunteer.

We ditched Sky earlier this year. Sky Q looks good but is just too expensive given how much content we end up watching on catch-up services. Now TV was the final nail in the coffin for it - lets us pay when we want to - i.e. new series of b00bs and dragons is on. A lot of their boxsets are on there as well although with those you start to get overlap between the services with the same stuff being on multiple services.

I've been genuinely surprised by how little we've missed Sky to be honest.

--

Cheers,

Mike.

I used to think I was all cutting-edge but guess nowadays I'm something of a dinosaur, as I just download what I want to watch and that's it. No subscription to anything since 2008.

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

_Tim_ said...

Peasant.

i wasted the money I saved on some mega tech kit 8)

i may put this years saving towards some acid green OZ 20's

Updated September 22, 2016 at 10:11 AM

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

JL said...

I used to think I was all cutting-edge but guess nowadays I'm something of a dinosaur, as I just download what I want to watch and that's it. No subscription to anything since 2008.

i have a synology box which works brilliantly with anything that supports VLC player

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

Ascender said...

I do wonder though if one of the big players in online streaming will make a mis-step and go under as there's been rumours for a few years now that their business models just aren't sustainable

Netflix spent $120m on 'The Get Down' - 12 episodes

WTF

The sky streaming thing is crazy expensive, about £40 a month if you want everything. It's still the only legal way to see HBO stuff over here though and their movie selection is far superior.

I've just ordered a fire stick to test the Kodi streaming thing. If it works well I may cancel all my paid streaming stuff and just use that.

--

I often drive for a road travel

Mr Pisch said...

JL said...

i have a synology box which works brilliantly with anything that supports VLC player

Download via torrent to my home PC, then Plex Media Server to every device in the house. Costs buttons and works perfectly. I have no idea why everyone doesn't do the same but hey.

--

It feels like that. Like a donkey. On a skateboard.

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular