OCULUS RIFT ORDERS START TODAY
Prev | 123 | Next

headset and controllers £399 today

worth getting? i love subnutica which supports the rift

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

Yes, buy one :)

Mine came on Friday and fook me is this the future or what. iRacing and Assetto Corsa are phenomenal, I found myself reaching for switches or trying to tweak the anti roll bar while I was driving.

I've heard people talk about immersion before but this is something else, it just feels like you're there.

Had a short blast on elite too, which is stunning but I have no idea what I'm doing.

--

www.hpeauto.co.uk

While it's great for immersion, on the really quick tracks (this is on AC) I find it really difficult to pick out the detail on the track in the distance to see where bends/curbs are.

Whacking up the supersampling helps, but the framerate suffers on my old PC. Guide here:

https://www.riftracer.co.uk/guides/assetto-corsa-oculus-rift-setup/

--

AMG Owners

Can't say i've noticed but I've not been on it for that long...I have a fairly quick pc though. I did a 45 minute race on iRacing last night, being able to fight closely with others and have the ability to look sideways to see where they are is just amazing 8)

--

www.hpeauto.co.uk

exiges said...

Yes, buy one :)

unfortunately life decided it was time for another monumental kick in the knackers so the money went elsewhere :roll:

i suspect it will have to wait until after i have got the iphone X

--

Existence is pain ...

WIBBLE

Just doing some research on VR gear as I've got permission from the CFO* to spend up on a new gaming rig for my 'Oth birthday in October although really I'll probably hold off for the Black Friday sales.

For the combined major PC upgrade + VR gear I can push the budget to about £1.2k total

Which this build seems to be good for although I'd bump the RAM to 16GB and go an 500GB M.2 SSD

I almost entirely game through Steam so that would lean towards running a Vive. But what I'm excited about playing are racing sims (can't wait to have a go at Targa Florio on AC having got it running years ago clunkily on GTR2) and Elite Dangerous.

One concern is that I've tried VR on a mates PS4 Pro and was seriously impressed but after playing for an hour I had a colossal headache for the rest of the evening.

*Would HMRC take a dim view of putting a VR set and PC through Ltd company books, budget would then go to £2k...?

Updated September 9, 2017 at 11:44 AM

As I know we have a few VR owners now, here's a bit of news:

Pimax 8K headset

Interesting one about this - other than the fact some first impressions claim they've completely eliminated SDE - is the 200deg FoV, which isn't far off the human eye.

This should make all games - seated sims especially - even more immersive.

Initial deliveries in December. If you're worried about how your setup will render 8K, apparently they have some fancy upscaling tech for the dual 3840x2160 LCD panels (or dual 2560x1440 OLED panels).

Estimated $450-500 for the headset, plus base-station and wands (but apparently it will support existing Vive kit?)

--

AMG Owners

Evicted Bazza from above

The local Game/Belong now has a Vive setup for £5/10min, Fruit Ninja is ridiculously good fun. Apart from tears from Yoblettes told they were too young to have a go!:lol: Even the Mrs had a turn and loved it.

SDE is obvious when you're static but as soon as the action starts I didn't notice it at all.

Small concern is even after 10min my eyes were quite tired.

Great bit of info on how much difference SuperSampling can make:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7axip9/demonstration_of_how_powerful_supersampling_is_10/

If you've got a decent setup, it can make a HUGE difference - text in Elite and detail in Assetto Corsa is massively improved.

--

AMG Owners

Matty_ said...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7axip9/demonstration_of_how_powerful_supersampling_is_10/

If you've got a decent setup, it can make a HUGE difference - text in Elite and detail in Assetto Corsa is massively improved.

Interesting, hard to know whether to jump in now and enjoy or wait for Pimax 8k to arrive.

RobYob said...

Matty_ said...

Interesting, hard to know whether to jump in now and enjoy or wait for Pimax 8k to arrive.

Based on initial feedback, I'd definitely be waiting on Pimax first - looks promising.

--

AMG Owners

Can't wait for a VR system with high res and no SDE

exiges said...

Can't wait for a VR system with high res and no SDE

TBH I'd settle for a much better FoV. I can get around the SDE to a certain extent, but I don't want to be feeling like I'm in a diving helmet.

Lets just project it directly to my retina and be done with it.

--

AMG Owners

Prev | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular